Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Visual Looks, Interior, & Technology Showcase > Audio, Video & Electronics

Audio, Video & Electronics Showcase your speakers, LCD's, decks, amps, DVD, Car PC, alarms etc...

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:40 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 18200

Reputation Level: 0
yumi is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default How to Attach Drum Pad to ADC0802

I'm a bit of newbie in the electronic area, so if this question has an obvious answer, please excuse me.

I am trying to attach an electronic drum pad to the Vin input of an flash ADC--ADC0820 . I am powering it with 5 V and using a 3.3 V reference voltage (the voltage ref is a differential input on this IC, with a VREF- of 0 V.) When I attach a 10 k pot to the ADC VIN input, everything works as expected.
ADC0802 Datasheet
Here's the thing that's confusing me: when I hook up a scope and read the drum pad when it's not attached to the ADC, it reads at 0 V when not being hit. However, when I attach it to the VIN input this level rises to 0.1 V and causes the ADC to read above 0. This doesn't happen when I experiment with different ADC chips.
OH! Right! It seems the VIN pin is charged from the VREF+ pin and this is being sent back down the drum pad. I have confirmed this by connecting a pot to the VREF+ pin and turning it up and down - the charge leaving the VIN pin changes!
Why is it happening here?
yumi is offline   Send a private message to yumi Find more posts by yumi Add yumi to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top