Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Visual Looks, Interior, & Technology Showcase > Audio, Video & Electronics

Audio, Video & Electronics Showcase your speakers, LCD's, decks, amps, DVD, Car PC, alarms etc...

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:51 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 18200

Reputation Level: 0
yumi is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Grounding for car stereo adapter PCB

I've built an audio adapter for car stereo system. It contains microcontroller, a connector to stereo system (a few data pins and line-level audio output), Bluetooth audio module (RN52) and power connector.

I've successfully tested it with a separate, floating power supply, and audio noise falls within my expectations.

However, when I power the adapter with a power supply which is also referenced to audio amplifier/speaker system, I am hearing significant noise. This happens in car, but I also hear the same issue on my desk, if I power the PCB from PC's USB port, and speaker system is also referenced to my PC.

I kind of suspect grounding issues on my PCB. When designing it, I did not pay a lot of attention to routing GND pins of the modules/ICs used- I relied on having ground fills on both sides of the PCB.

This is a high-level overview of the PCB I made:
Click the image to open in full size.
I recall having heard about "star ground" concept, where all the ground points should connect in a single place, power input connector.
Click the image to open in full size.
The questions are:

1) How applicable the star grounding is if there are multiple connectors (each with a separate ground wire), which may, or may not be referencing a "common" ground somewhere further.

2) Is it possible to improve noise with a different/proper grounding on my PCB, or should I isolate either the audio output or power input?
yumi is offline   Send a private message to yumi Find more posts by yumi Add yumi to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top