Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Visual Looks, Interior, & Technology Showcase > Audio, Video & Electronics

Audio, Video & Electronics Showcase your speakers, LCD's, decks, amps, DVD, Car PC, alarms etc...

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:38 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 15716

Reputation Level: 0
Chrismt is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Aftermarket Amp with Bose Unique Issue!

Ok, I've searched to the end of the internet looking for some kind of solution to my problem, and I'm just plain stuck. Here's my deal:

05' Bose Non Nav
12" Audiobahn DVC wired to 2 ohms
Alpine MRP500 amp.

I installed a LOC under the rear deck, tapping directly into the wires at my drivers side stock sub. The remote turn on is wired to an accessory-on 12v wire. My ground is solid, in the chassis, bare metal scraped down. All wiring appears to be solid.

This setup was working for weeks, until recently. Now, when the car is first turned on I'll get a little signal to the audiobahn sub until I turn the volume up, then it cuts right out. If I turn the car off then on, the cycle repeats.

My main question is if there is some type of limiter or noise reduction feature through the Bose amp that is causing this problem?

My next step is to replace the LOC, maybe that's toast. It's a pretty decent schose. Any help is greatly appreciated! If I had hair I'd be tearing it out by now.
Chrismt is offline   Send a private message to Chrismt Find more posts by Chrismt Add Chrismt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2014, 11:05 PM   #2

Official Member #: 6559

Reputation Level: 8
Lownismo is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Aftermarket Amp with Bose Unique Issue!

What is cutting out? The sub amp, the factory speakers
or everything.
Lownismo is offline   Send a private message to Lownismo Find more posts by Lownismo Add Lownismo to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2014, 01:02 PM   Thread Starter #3

It's only the sub that actually stops producing noise. The amp stays on, and doesn't go into protection mode. All the other Bose speakers and subs stay working normally.

In fiddling today, I noticed when the volume is low and there is actually a signal getting to the sub, all the lights dim with every "thump" from the sub. Then the sub cuts and no dim anymore.

Starting to think it's my battery maybe? I'm so lost! Lol
Chrismt is offline   Send a private message to Chrismt Find more posts by Chrismt Add Chrismt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2014, 02:20 PM   Thread Starter #4

Shoot, I just tried on a hunch to hook up an iPod to the RCAs on the amp, same exact problem. I get a signal to the sub until I turn either the volume or the gain up. As soon as I disconnect remote turn on wire and reconnect, cycle repeats.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:47 PM   #5
Official Member

Official Member #: 3079

Reputation Level: 10
Jony09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe amp is going into protect mode?
Jony09 is offline   Send a private message to Jony09 Find more posts by Jony09 Add Jony09 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2014, 04:57 PM   Thread Starter #6

Thanks guys for the replies!

I figured the issue out.

Basically, I spent hours teaching myself how to check the components on the amp's circuit board. First off, the ground terminal was loose, so I re-soldered and still nothing. Opened it up again and tested the resistance of the output and power transistors...

Problem: Blown power transistors.

So, I would really love to know exactly why they blew, but reading this AWESOME site created by an amplifier repair GOD has lead me to believe the ground being loose shorted the circuit and blew the MOSFETs. I'm buying a new amp tomorrow, and I really hope it isn't something else.

I will say, this website: Basic Car Audio Electronics is fantastically done. Definitely learned useful information.

I also studied the repair manual trying to find the best way to tap my LOC into the system. Coming out of the main Bose amp before the Bose Sub amp there is a dedicated "woofer" output with just two wires. I'm thinking this will be a cleaner signal as it won't be an already amplified signal. Going to test and make sure it's high level first before I tap, if it's low level, I can prolly just run RCAs off the wires and bypass the LOC completely.

I will say, if anyone ever has any questions about an '05's Bose wiring, I've learned enough about the system to probably help, and I would love to help anyone

If the woofer signal works, I'll make sure I share it somehow with the community, as integrating an aftermarket amp to the Bose system is a super common topic.

Thanks again!

Phew...I'm just Amped up now....��
Latinmaxima (09-18-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 04:59 PM   Thread Starter #7

Thanks guys for the replies!

I figured the issue out.

Basically, I spent hours teaching myself how to check the components on the amp's circuit board. First off, the ground terminal was loose, so I re-soldered and still nothing. Opened it up again and tested the resistance of the output and power transistors...

Problem: Blown power transistors.

So, I would really love to know exactly why they blew, but reading this AWESOME site created by an amplifier repair GOD has lead me to believe the ground being loose shorted the circuit and blew the MOSFETs. I'm buying a new amp tomorrow, and I really hope it isn't something else.

I will say, this website: Basic Car Audio Electronics is fantastically done. Definitely learned useful information.

I also studied the repair manual trying to find the best way to tap my LOC into the system. Coming out of the main Bose amp before the Bose Sub amp there is a dedicated "woofer" output with just two wires. I'm thinking this will be a cleaner signal as it won't be an already amplified signal. Going to test and make sure it's high level first before I tap, if it's low level, I can prolly just run RCAs off the wires and bypass the LOC completely.

I will say, if anyone ever has any questions about an '05's Bose wiring, I've learned enough about the system to probably help, and I would love to help anyone

If the woofer signal works, I'll make sure I share it somehow with the community, as integrating an aftermarket amp to the Bose system is a super common topic.

Thanks again!

Phew...I'm just Amped up now....😂