Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Visual Looks, Interior, & Technology Showcase > Audio, Video & Electronics

Audio, Video & Electronics Showcase your speakers, LCD's, decks, amps, DVD, Car PC, alarms etc...

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:31 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 17348

Reputation Level: 0
Avguytx is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default 2008 factory head unit into a 2004? Or...

I thought I would start a fresh thread on this one after searching through all of the others. Or at least as good as I could. Has anyone ever successfully adapted a 2007-08 head unit into a 2004-06 range? I spent 30 years in custom car audio/video in the retail side and as a manufacturers rep (for Panasonic, Rockford, Lightning Audio, MB Quart, Q-Logic, Streetwires, etc) and managed a Car Toys store in Tulsa, OK for 9 years (lots of national championship vehicles came out of there). But, I'm almost 50 years old now and not as spry as I was when I was doing it from 79 to 2009. It seems like the dash is the same in both generation except for the center section with the change of head unit styles. I'm thinking if I could find the center console sections, I could adapt a newer head unit into it. I'm not a big fan of the kits that put the head unit down low in the 2004-06's; makes it rather hard to see and defeats the purpose.

Anyone ever put a double din radio in the stock screen location of the '04 and move the stock display screen lower? I guess I could fabricate a dash bezel to do that if it got down to it. Relocation electronics and adding on to cables/ribbons is no big deal. I just thought I'd see if anyone else had attempted it. This all isn't for my needs as I'm not into car audio like I used to be. It's for my 16 year old daughters car and would like her to have Bluetooth for driving and a back up camera.

Thanks!
Dislikes: (1)
Drae (07-15-2017)
Avguytx is offline   Send a private message to Avguytx Find more posts by Avguytx Add Avguytx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #2

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Re: 2008 factory head unit into a 2004? Or...

Originally Posted by Avguytx View Post
I thought I would start a fresh thread on this one after searching through all of the others. Or at least as good as I could. Has anyone ever successfully adapted a 2007-08 head unit into a 2004-06 range? I spent 30 years in custom car audio/video in the retail side and as a manufacturers rep (for Panasonic, Rockford, Lightning Audio, MB Quart, Q-Logic, Streetwires, etc) and managed a Car Toys store in Tulsa, OK for 9 years (lots of national championship vehicles came out of there). But, I'm almost 50 years old now and not as spry as I was when I was doing it from 79 to 2009. It seems like the dash is the same in both generation except for the center section with the change of head unit styles. I'm thinking if I could find the center console sections, I could adapt a newer head unit into it. I'm not a big fan of the kits that put the head unit down low in the 2004-06's; makes it rather hard to see and defeats the purpose.

Anyone ever put a double din radio in the stock screen location of the '04 and move the stock display screen lower? I guess I could fabricate a dash bezel to do that if it got down to it. Relocation electronics and adding on to cables/ribbons is no big deal. I just thought I'd see if anyone else had attempted it. This all isn't for my needs as I'm not into car audio like I used to be. It's for my 16 year old daughters car and would like her to have Bluetooth for driving and a back up camera.

Thanks!
There is one guy still in process of doing the swap. The issue is retaining all the climate control functionality. Has not been completed as of it.

There was also another guy who mounted the double-din the OEM screen location. It didn't work out well for him with the sun glare. Plus he had to cut the metal reinforcement bracket behind the dash to accommodate it.

I personally like the center screen double din. I moved the climate control all the way to the bottle and replace the top screen with a touch-screen LCD. You can mirror the center double-din to it.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
smittybizzle (05-22-2017)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2016, 11:13 AM   Thread Starter #3

I thought I had seen one person try the double din in the top section but wasn't finished. Yeah, washout is always the bad part about touch screens whether they be stock or aftermarket. I almost wish I would've kept the Kenwood DDX-392 double din and BU camera I had in my '03 Ram that I pulled out when trading for a '15. But, I didn't. I didn't need it in my new truck and didn't want to spend the money on adapter parts....and I can buy them all at cost. Oh well...

If I could find 2007-07 center console pieces, I might could make something work.
Avguytx is offline   Send a private message to Avguytx Find more posts by Avguytx Add Avguytx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2016, 11:58 AM   Thread Starter #4

I found this...

and this...

....but it's a pricey chance to take that the plugs work and the fitting is good. If I could find bezels only, it would be worth a shot.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #5

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Originally Posted by Avguytx View Post
I found this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331766553810...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331766013498...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

....but it's a pricey chance to take that the plugs work and the fitting is good. If I could find bezels only, it would be worth a shot.
Yeah, the one guy who got the parts got them via a Partout. Very cheap. Sounds like a good project to tackle. I'm sure it's doable with enough time and effort. I just honestly prefer aftermarket. Simpler and more functionality. You'll need to hack up the OEM splicing a lot.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2016, 04:33 PM   Thread Starter #6

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
Yeah, the one guy who got the parts got them via a Partout. Very cheap. Sounds like a good project to tackle. I'm sure it's doable with enough time and effort. I just honestly prefer aftermarket. Simpler and more functionality. You'll need to hack up the OEM splicing a lot.
Yeah, more time than my old a$$ wants to put into it. haha. If I could just get the upper and lower console to work, I could use an aftermarket double din in it....which I'd rather use, of course. It's nice having all of the info panel stuff but not detrimental to her if it's there or not.

Last edited by Avguytx; 02-16-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:06 PM   Thread Starter #7

But the main thing for now is I need to figure out what is dripping from where that is letting out a little smoke between the firewall and UIM. I've replaced front and rear valve cover gaskets, UIM gasket, etc. I know there's a leak from the power steering because I can see the drip underneath on the pump where the high pressure hose attaches. But I'm doubting that's what's causing the smoke. I can't see how it would get to the exahst manifold from over there. Oh well...