Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Wheels & Tires

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:23 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default How to Remove Stripped Lugs or Wheel Locks Without a Key

Source Credit: Phreakdout from my350z.com

-----

OK, you've searched the trunk, the interior and the entire garage ... and the wheel lock key can not be found. Of course, you immediately blame the last tire shop for not returning your key.

None the less, you have a wheel that needs to be removed and you feel like a complete numbty because you can't get the wheel off.

Here's your solution ....

Here's a sample of a key and lock. This is for another car of course because the key to my Z's wheel locks is no where to be found.

Click the image to open in full size.

If you're like most folks, the wheel doesn't give you much access to the lugnut. You can't get a set of pliers on them. Even if you could, how much damage would your wheels take?

To start, you need a few items.
1) A heavy mallet
2) A 24" Breaker Bar
3) A 3" extension.
4) Craftsman part number 47392 (Lug nut removal tools) You can buy this from Sears for $39.99. You can find it in the socket section.
5) A bench vise

There are three sockets in the kit.
1) 7/8"
2) 19mm (3/4")
3) 17mm

Each socket has two sides.
This side has 6-flutes. It is used for normal hex nut lugs. You can see the socket extension fits deep into the center.

The other side, has 12-flutes and is designed for grabbing onto the smooth surfaces such as the lugnut pictured above.

These sockets are hardened steel and will take a lot of abuse. Keep in mind, they are Craftsman products, so if you get a little too exuberant with it, you can amaze the Sears salesperson by asking for a warranty exchange. (Really, you shouldn't need to get that crazy)

Let's get started:

Find which socket fits best over your lugnut. Personally, I went against the directions and used the 6-flute on the smooth lugnut. It seemed to fit best and the sharp six edges really digs into the chrome lugs.

1) With one hand, fit one of the lug removal sockets onto your lug.

2) Take the mallet and give it a couple smacks for press it into the lug. Try to hit it straight on so removal tool will fit straight on.

3) Fit the extension into the removal tool. Attach the breaker bar to the extension.

4) You don't want the removal tool to shift around when you start to turn it so use your right hand to keep it straight on the socket and your left hand to loosen the lug. If the tool starts to spin on the lug, go back to step #2 and smack it on so the tool is tighter on the lug.

The lug nut should loosen and come off. The nut will be stuck in the removal tool. It will look like this:

Take the removal tool and the the stuck lugnut over to the bench vise. Clamp the lugnut down and lightly turn the nut back and forth to get the tool's teeth out of the lugnut.

The old lugnut will look like this. Note the teeth marks. you can see how this would work.

It took about an hour to remove all 20 lugnuts. Of course the lugnuts are scrap now so I will order another set.

BTW: I found the lugnut key 20 minutes after I was done. I hate Murphy's Law! Click the image to open in full size.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
RAZ76 (05-06-2010)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #2

Official Member #: 27

Reputation Level: 13
Jammaxx is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: How to Remove Stripped Lugs or Wheel Locks Without a Key

Yow...i was working on this write up with the hope to have it stckied....oh well at least the info is here.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:41 AM   Thread Starter #3

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Originally Posted by Jammaxx View Post
Yow...i was working on this write up with the hope to have it stckied....oh well at least the info is here.
Oh I didn't know. Feel free to add your info and pictures here bro. The more the better.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
The Bronx 6th Gen

Official Member #: 19

Reputation Level: 16
Blackoutt is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Awards:
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 10

jammax write yours up too man.

...Team Street REVOLUZION...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyMaxx
Gearbox....Love your dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyMaxx
Gear... Your dog kind of resembles Blackout a little if you ever meet him in person.lol

eddy... are you trying to hint something????
Blackoutt is offline   Send a private message to Blackoutt Find more posts by Blackoutt Add Blackoutt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 4

Reputation Level: 14
OwenMaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

My Awards:
Spotlight Ride Of The Month