Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:53 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 11397

Reputation Level: 6
KobyG04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Tips For Working With Niteshades

*These are not fully done, will update pictures tomorrow of the lights complete.

1) Lots of sanding, and I mean lots, sand between coats, after coats, before coats, when you think you have sanded enough sand some more. This will help achieve they glossy surface in the end and leave a smooth surface for the paint to lay on.

2) When spraying the niteshades be sure that the coats are light, if they are not light you will go from a light to dark tint pretty quick.

3) Be sure to take your time, it is easy to rush things and end up with paint running or swirl marks when sanding.

Problems I encountered and how I solved them:
1)Paint would not stick to lens.
-Issue was that I had not sanded enough with aggressive enough sand paper, when doing your first sanding I would recommend a 600 to 1000 to 2000 grit sandpaper pattern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_mvck1wQBpk1rpdugmo1_500.jpg (58.7 KB, 24 views)
KobyG04 is offline   Send a private message to KobyG04 Find more posts by KobyG04 Add KobyG04 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 1072

Reputation Level: 9
mrjasonlyrics is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Tips For Working With Niteshades

Don't mean to ruin your thread but sanding your tail lights is not necessary. I get that you're trying to get the paint to stick but I think it's easier to just apply another coat when it gets too light than to sand it down. I did mine without any sanding then polished it and I achieved a high gloss finish.
Click the image to open in full size.
GT-R bodykit/CAI/Zenetti rims/5pc spacers/BOP/Cosmo lightweight pulley/Satin black 2-tone paint/N1 catback/Magnaflow mufflers/6spd manual/lambo doors/racingline USTB/B&G lowering springs/KYB GR-2 shock,struts/,Exedy OE clutch
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/388690...ima-se-sedan-4
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJasonlyrics
If I can't use my both hands and feet then I don't want it

Last edited by mrjasonlyrics; 10-27-2013 at 09:07 PM.
dallazcod (10-28-2013)
mrjasonlyrics is offline   Send a private message to mrjasonlyrics Find more posts by mrjasonlyrics Add mrjasonlyrics to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2013, 09:26 AM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 11397

Reputation Level: 6
KobyG04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics View Post
Don't mean to ruin your thread but sanding your tail lights is not necessary. I get that you're trying to get the paint to stick but I think it's easier to just apply another coat when it gets too light than to sand it down. I did mine without any sanding then polished it and I achieved a high gloss finish.
I tried the same way first, cleaned the lens super good and everything and the niteshades wouldn't stick to the lens
KobyG04 is offline   Send a private message to KobyG04 Find more posts by KobyG04 Add KobyG04 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 1072

Reputation Level: 9
mrjasonlyrics is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe your preparation was wrong. I've done mine about 2yrs ago, buffed a few times and it's now starting to fade but it's still shaded.

I removed my tail lights and cleaned it properly with Dupli-color grease and wax remover then wiped it dry with a lint free cloth.

Then I sprayed 2-3 coats 5-10mins apart then allowed it to dry for about 3hrs

Then I buffed it with this. Maybe you used an aggressive polish that took it off.
Sammaxvq35 (10-28-2013)
mrjasonlyrics is offline   Send a private message to mrjasonlyrics Find more posts by mrjasonlyrics Add mrjasonlyrics to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top