Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:54 AM   Thread Starter #1
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Default How To Wire Park Lights As DRL

Courtesy of @DAlastDON

Originally Posted by DAlastDON View Post
This should make the parking lights come on when the car is taken out of park.

Besides crimp connectors, scotch locks/taps, and some wire, all you need material wise is going to be a 5 pin relay and 2 fuse holders.

What you are going to want to do is over ride the IPDM when it comes to turning on the parking lights. Real simple but you have to do it at the source, which is the IPDM. You want to find the output for parking/tail lights. It is going to be a Red wire with a Lavender stripe in the pin #22 position. That wire is going to get cut and wired into the NC(normally closed) contacts on the relay. This will allow the combination switch to still control the lights. The IPDM side of the wire will goto pin#87A the other side will goto pin#30 on the relay. Pin#87 will connect to a power source. Pin#85 to a grounding point. Pin#86 to the PNP(Park/Neutral Position switch).

Where to find the PNP signal is the fun part for you. I know it is in the radio harness on the 07-08 because the NIRD-01 module that i installed to keep the drivers information display functioning has a PNP signal from it that i connected to the kenwood dnx9140 to stop video playback when the car is in motion. No idea if there is a PNP signal in the 04-06 radio harness. If there is one then you are going to have to probe every wire for the one that has voltage on it only when the car is not in park. This may also be on the unit that controls the 04-06 drivers information display. Or you can skip that and go straight to the ECM to get the PNP signal. It will be a Green with White stripe wire in the pin #102 position. Do not cut this wire, instead use a scotch lock to tap into the wire just like when installing resistors for LED's in the turn signals.

Anywhere that you are getting power from, always fuse it at the source. The power that you connect to Pin #87 on the relay, use a 15amp fuse. For the tap for the PNP signal put a smaller one in there. The coil in a standard BOSCH style relay is 75ohms with a current draw of about 0.1amps to 0.2amps. A 1amp fuse should do since you probably wont find a smaller one.

Click the image to open in full size.
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 73
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: How To Wire Park Lights As DRL

Excellent deatiled instructions.

Of course I lost you at IPDM.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
Premier Member

Official Member #: 76

Reputation Level: 17
jsmithsole is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Guinness Record Holder  

/ Point Value: 15

Banner of The Month  

Well done!

Posted Via Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #4

Official Member #: 2713

Reputation Level: 0
onyx6gmax is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
Visit onyx6gmax's Facebook Visit onyx6gmax's Twitter Visit onyx6gmax's YouTube

okay so can you just add a couple drl strips to my front bumper...how do i just do that to have them run with heads fogs and parking lights
onyx6gmax is offline   Send a private message to onyx6gmax Find more posts by onyx6gmax Add onyx6gmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Originally Posted by onyx6gmax View Post
okay so can you just add a couple drl strips to my front bumper...how do i just do that to have them run with heads fogs and parking lights
With a couple LED strips, i wouldn't bother using a relay since they will not draw too much additional current. Just tap into the power source that you want to use. I would use the parking light. Wire color will be Red with a Lavender stripe.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #6

Official Member #: 2713

Reputation Level: 0
onyx6gmax is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
Visit onyx6gmax's Facebook Visit onyx6gmax's Twitter Visit onyx6gmax's YouTube

ok thanks i have decided against them i just dont think they will fit the blacked out theme of my car im planning on doing lol slowly but surely and going for a stealth/stock look isnt going to work with 2 12" led drls on my lower grill thanks though thats great info for later
onyx6gmax is offline   Send a private message to onyx6gmax Find more posts by onyx6gmax Add onyx6gmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top