Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:24 PM   Thread Starter #1
Donating Member

my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 86

Reputation Level: 25
Max Power will become famous soon enoughMax Power will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Visit Max Power's YouTube
Default How to Upgrade Headlight Projectors

Courtesy of Grouchman

Headlight Projector Upgrade

My Maxima originally came with a halogen lights, I put an aftermarket HID kit and got tired them not turning on, had to keep turning the switch on and off till finally turned on. Plus I went through about 2 kits within 18months. So I finally decided to do a true HID upgrade.

Then the project began....

First thing drop the bumper to get the headlights out Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Then I took off all the light bulbs and wiring harness. Here are the projector I used, Hella E55 w/ ZKW-R lenses and factory ballast Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

I highly recommend using the oven, I made a mistake and tried using a heat gun and all I did was leave nix all in the back of the passenger side housing. I put the headlight housing in the oven for 10 minutes at 230 degrees. The housing seal breaks off very easily without any force. Click the image to open in full size.

Once I open the housing I took out the original projectors and cut out the hole to run the factory Nissan ballast/igniter. Click the image to open in full size.

Then installed the Hella E55 projectors Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Clean the lens and reflectors before I continued Click the image to open in full size.

I heated the seal around the housing and around the lens, then came the clamps Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Installed the wiring harness which I modify to connect the ballast and installed 5000k HID bulbs. Here is the finished product Click the image to open in full size.

After I finished the other headlight, I installed Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

I adjusted the lights Click the image to open in full size.

Now they turn on instantly..... cured my biggest headache

.. This was the first time I did something like this; it took me about 6-7 hours.
Max Power is offline   Send a private message to Max Power Find more posts by Max Power Add Max Power to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2010, 01:51 AM   #2

Official Member #: 822

Reputation Level: 0
callisto is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
Default Re: How to Upgrade Headlight Projectors

I have a question or two for this mod. OP or anyone who has done this: what's the light output and pattern like compared to stock projectors? I slapped an HID kit in my stock projectors and am getting a horrible purple line at the top of the pattern. And some rainbow. Also, does the high beam work the same? In the stock projector it's like a gate that lifts. Thanks.
callisto is offline   Send a private message to callisto Find more posts by callisto Add callisto to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 5

Originally Posted by callisto View Post
I have a question or two for this mod. OP or anyone who has done this: what's the light output and pattern like compared to stock projectors? I slapped an HID kit in my stock projectors and am getting a horrible purple line at the top of the pattern. And some rainbow. Also, does the high beam work the same? In the stock projector it's like a gate that lifts. Thanks.
Yup, the high beams operate & function the same.

The projectors you need will focus the light better and give it a better "sparkle." I need to do this too.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 02:08 AM   #4
Banned

Official Member #: 328

My Awards:
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Yeah man, the only way to eliminate this problem is through changing your projector lens. It's a good idea to do that if you plan on painting your headlights. Basically killing two birds with one stone.
maximus is banned   Send a private message to maximus Find more posts by maximus Add maximus to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 02:20 AM   Thread Starter #5
Donating Member

Official Member #: 86

Reputation Level: 25
Max Power will become famous soon enoughMax Power will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Visit Max Power's YouTube

First thing to try is just a Lens upgrade. There is a bit of a difference in the actuall projectors, but I think you'd be able to get what your looking for out of the lens swap.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=29
I believe you need the (3") ZKW-R but double check with the seller to make sure.
1hawaii50 (10-25-2010), Cam (07-08-2011), smittybizzle (09-13-2011)
Max Power is offline   Send a private message to Max Power Find more posts by Max Power Add Max Power to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #6

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 5

can we get bigger pictures, lol
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2010, 02:16 AM   #7

Official Member #: 822

callisto is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Yeah, I was crusin that site for quite a while. The new lens route makes the most sense to me, too. Isn't that expensive either. And yeah, I would paint the headlights and do that clear mod to the orange side markers. Kill three birds with one stone.

Are the original lenses really that bad quality? I mean, on that site they have example pictures and the pattern I have with these stock lenses isn't anything like that.

edit:

Also, they have lenses for Stanley projectors. When I had my lights out I saw Stanley marked all over the housings. Is this the same?

Last edited by callisto; 10-26-2010 at 02:19 AM.
callisto is offline   Send a private message to callisto Find more posts by callisto Add callisto to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
Official Member

Official Member #: 939

Reputation Level: 11
mrkhone is on a distinguished road

Default Re: How to Upgrade Headlight Projector's

i just bought the lens from there. i like them. made a difference. Stanley is the manufactor of the headlights, not the lens.
mrkhone is offline   Send a private message to mrkhone Find more posts by mrkhone Add mrkhone to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Official Member

Official Member #: 1646

emilbadal is on a distinguished road

I have a question guys, Last night I had to take my brother's impreza(has HID kit(the factory was hallogen)) out of the way to pull my max out of the parking.... instantly I noticed that the light pattern of the impreza was very smooth in a wide range and actually they felt brighter as well(both cars have 35w HID), then it was my max's turn and I saw the kind of over focused light pattern as if the there are two domes concentrating in one spot...what do you guys suggest? I really don't care about the cut off but my pattern is not good I put a picture down there, is there any kind of idk, adjustment to these halogen housings? and if I change the lens will it solve my problem?Click the image to open in full size.
you can clearly see two cone shape beams on the ground which they focus at one spot.
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by emilbadal View Post
I have a question guys, Last night I had to take my brother's impreza(has HID kit(the factory was hallogen)) out of the way to pull my max out of the parking.... instantly I noticed that the light pattern of the impreza was very smooth in a wide range and actually they felt brighter as well(both cars have 35w HID), then it was my max's turn and I saw the kind of over focused light pattern as if the there are two domes concentrating in one spot...what do you guys suggest? I really don't care about the cut off but my pattern is not good I put a picture down there, is there any kind of idk, adjustment to these halogen housings? and if I change the lens will it solve my problem?Click the image to open in full size.
you can clearly see two cone shape beams on the ground which they focus at one spot.
Go OEM with OEM projectors and ballast halogen housing is for non HID bulbs .
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
Official Member

Official Member #: 1646

emilbadal is on a distinguished road

well I guess that's not an option I could consider, it's not cost effective and worthy. guess I have to accept them the way they are. OP, did changing the projectors resolve the problem that I explained previously with halogen projectors? can you put upload us a photo of your headlight pattern on street for us? It will be most appreciated
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2011, 01:51 AM   #12

Official Member #: 3308

Cammy_Maxtacy is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Yout thread is all over the place buddy, you should try to clean it up to make it easier for everyone to read. Sorry, wasn't trying to be a bit*h, just trying to make it easier for everyone to read it..
Cammy_Maxtacy is offline   Send a private message to Cammy_Maxtacy Find more posts by Cammy_Maxtacy Add Cammy_Maxtacy to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
Reputable Member

Bump for a good thread to read . All you Maxima owners with the plug and play kits should step your game up .

Last edited by smittybizzle; 12-04-2011 at 08:03 PM.
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #14
Official Member

Official Member #: 2874

Reputation Level: 8
trilla_one is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if the the xenon projectors are the same between the 6 & 6.5 gens? I'm getting a good deal on some 05 projectors and wanted to know if they would work in 6.5 gen housings. Getting tired of my halogens.
trilla_one is offline   Send a private message to trilla_one Find more posts by trilla_one Add trilla_one to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
Reputable Member

Originally Posted by trilla_one View Post
Does anyone know if the the xenon projectors are the same between the 6 & 6.5 gens? I'm getting a good deal on some 05 projectors and wanted to know if they would work in 6.5 gen housings. Getting tired of my halogens.
They will work , E55 projector .
Old 12-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #16
Official Member

Official Member #: 2874

Reputation Level: 8
trilla_one is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smittybizzle View Post
They will work , E55 projector .
thanks alot
trilla_one is offline   Send a private message to trilla_one Find more posts by trilla_one Add trilla_one to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
Reputable Member

Originally Posted by trilla_one View Post
thanks alot
No problem ^^^^^ .