Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:39 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 21

Reputation Level: 10
thealliance43 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Default How to Take Apart Your Dash (DIY Tutorial)

here's a start of what needs to happen to get to the leds... many ppl were unsure how to take apart there dash etc. so here's some knowledge on the topic

Here are step-by-step instructions to taking apart your dash to either get to the stereo, or the LED screen. I take no responsibility for these instructions or any damage this may cause to your vehicle. Follow at your own risk! Enjoy!

Step 1: Remove shifter knob - Shifter knob is made of two parts, the leather handle, and the lower aluminum-looking cone-shaped piece. Grasp the cone-shaped lower piece, rotate counter-clockwise and pull down at the same time to release from shifter handle. Once this is done, there is a small gold clip holding the handle in place, remove this and handle will slide off, remove this as cone-shaped piece.

Click the image to open in full size.

WARNING:
If you twist the shift knob thing as instructed you will end up breaking it. You just need to pull down on that plastic piece. There is a TSB addressing this issue.

Step 2: Remove wood-colored faceplate and shifter piece - Open cupholder door. Using your fingers, press along edge of wood piece where cupholder door goes and pull up. Gentle but heavy force may be needed to pull up plate. Make sure you are slightly pushing the side of the plate inwards while you do this. Once you get the end of it released, you'll need to put the key in the ignition, turn it till the air comes on, put foot on the brake and move shifter knob into the neutral position. Lift up the whole plate to completely release. Underneath there are two connectors, one brown and one white, that you will need to disconnect before removing plate. Set aside.

Step 3: remove two lower screws that hold the dash kit in place, place them in a safe place. Use fingers on inside of lower storage area (below cassette opening) to pull out the dash kit and release from its clips. Remove lower half first, then pull out upper half. there is another connector on the back of that piece that needs to be unplugged. Set dash kit aside.

Step 4: Remove 2 screws holding in climate/audio control panel and LED screen. Holding this panel from underneath the radio controls, Pull piece outwards. The two middle air vents are also attached, and will come out as well. Lift out lower end first, then tilt upwards to release clips holding in the top edge. One connector on the back needs to be removed.

Step 5: Remove LED screen: remove 4 small gold screws on both sides of LED screen housing to separate screen from the rest of the panel.

Now you have successfully removed the LED screen. Pretty easy! To put back in, screw 4 gold screws back in, put whole panel piece back in first by inserting clips on top edge back trhough their holes, then slowly lower front edge down while making sure top edge stays flush with rest of dash. Carefully reconnect the plug, then lower all the way back flush. Screw back in the 2 screws. take Dash kit, reconnect wires, pop in the top part first back into slots, then lower part, then screw in 2 screws at bottom. Put the car back in neutral, plug in 2 connectors to shifter panel (brown and white), then slip shifter tube through the hole on the shifter panel, and carefully fit the panel back into plce, starting with the edge closest to the dash and ending with the edge closest to the armrest/cupholder. Place cone part of shifter back over steel tube, place shifter knob on and carefully slide the gold clip back through the white part of the shifter knob, it should line up with the 2 grooves on either side of the knob and the 2 grooves on steel tube. Slide cone-shaped part back up and carefully rotate over gold clip until its tight. It may take a couple tries to get this last part right.

Here is the step-by-step to get access to your gauges (fuel, tachometer, speedometer, etc) in order to swap for the reverse-glow gauges, clean out inside of plastic, etc...

First, this is fairly easy once you figure it out the first time. Here are my step-by-step tips to get access to the gauges.

****IMPORTANT NOTE BEFORE YOU BEGIN****

If you plan to remove the needles, you'll need to remember how to put them back on so they are accurate. This may require you to drive down the freeway or a straight stretch of road at a certain speed, noting speed and RPMs at that speed (ie if your RPMs are 3,000 at 80mph, get your friend to set their cruise control to 80, pace them and set your own cruise control and push needles back on at 3000 and 80mph respectively). Also note fuel level and normal car operating temp. After removing needles, it may be easiest to put speedometer and tachometer needles back on while driving. Get a friend to set their cruise control at your specified speed, so you can be pacing them and place the needles back in the right position.

________________**continue**___________________

1. Need the following tools: Phillips screwdriver, flat-head screwdriver (or preferably something thin and plastic), and socket wrench only if you need to disconnect battery to work on electrical system.

2. Underneath the steering wheel there are 3 screw holes... Remove these screws with phillips screwdriver.

3. Adjust the steering wheel all the way out and down. Inserting flat-head screwdriver in between two plastic pieces on the right side of the steering wheel where the windshield wiper knob is. Carefully pop apart plastic housing surrounding steering wheel and set aside.

4. Remove plastic covering over gauges. Using flat-head screwdriver or thin plastic, slide under top middle plastic piece and slowly lift up to pop out. Then slide under each piece on left and right, pop out front part first, then lift and pull towards you.

Take off all three plastic pieces starting with the middle first. you'll then see a screw

6. Under guage cluster are two hidden screws, unscrew both but don't remove, it's easier to pull out gauge cluster and screws will come out with it, then you can take them out.

Then just unplug it and your set.... you've taken the gauge cluster off your car. very easy to do just might be a problem for the bottom two screws... Good luck to all i hope this helped.

-TEK-NIQ (6thgenmaxima)

(Lil add in's from me)

Last edited by thealliance43; 03-23-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Nathaniel216 (08-12-2013)
thealliance43 is offline   Send a private message to thealliance43 Find more posts by thealliance43 Add thealliance43 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Queen's Official 6.5 Gen
Donating Member

Official Member #: 40

Reputation Level: 31
I3LAZEN will become famous soon enoughI3LAZEN will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 10

Default Re: How to Take Apart Your Dash (DIY Tutorial)

Sick write up!
I3LAZEN is offline   Send a private message to I3LAZEN Find more posts by I3LAZEN Add I3LAZEN to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2010, 02:54 AM   #3
L'italiano

Official Member #: 2

Reputation Level: 24
AANTONE will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

yeah great write up on this man
AANTONE is offline   Send a private message to AANTONE Find more posts by AANTONE Add AANTONE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
RI's 6th Gen Elite
Donating Member

Official Member #: 93

Reputation Level: 16
elitemax04 is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:
Banner of The Month  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

hella good write up

In a relationship with MAXiPAD72O
elitemax04 is offline   Send a private message to elitemax04 Find more posts by elitemax04 Add elitemax04 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
The Bronx 6th Gen

Official Member #: 19

Blackoutt is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Awards:

ive used this writeup numerous times.. thanx man

...Team Street REVOLUZION...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyMaxx
Gearbox....Love your dog.
Quote:
Gear... Your dog kind of resembles Blackout a little if you ever meet him in person.lol

eddy... are you trying to hint something????
Blackoutt is offline   Send a private message to Blackoutt Find more posts by Blackoutt Add Blackoutt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Donating Member

Official Member #: 57

Reputation Level: 14
Biggden434 is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Good Info Bro!!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 179

Timwdv is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

nice
Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
The Irish 6th Gen!

Official Member #: 61

Reputation Level: 15
iirishsamuraii is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Banner of The Month  

awsome DIY
iirishsamuraii is offline   Send a private message to iirishsamuraii Find more posts by iirishsamuraii Add iirishsamuraii to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
Official Member

Official Member #: 137

silverwolf is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

OK, I need some help with this one. I went to try and practice this for when the unit and din I bought from Clean comes in, and I hit a roadblock. Specifically, step 2 here:

"Underneath there are two connectors, one brown and one white, that you will need to disconnect before removing plate."

The problem is there is a 3rd connector going to the cigarette lighter. That, and the 2 connectors shown in the above pic will not disconnect. I tried twisting them, wiggling them, nothing. I don't want to put too much force on them either, but I've been trying for a half hour and they won't budge.

Anyone actually done this yet? Could use some pointers.
silverwolf is offline   Send a private message to silverwolf Find more posts by silverwolf Add silverwolf to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
Official Member

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Update, I figured it out. Just had to get under there. The cig lighter wire on the right side was the problem because it's kinna short, and I couldn't get at the rest till I figured out how to disconnect it. Blackoutt gave me some simple but effective advice on how to manage the lil plastic parts.

All good.
silverwolf is offline   Send a private message to silverwolf Find more posts by silverwolf Add silverwolf to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #11
The Bronx 6th Gen

My Awards:

here to help!!! ill take some repp now silver thanx. haha. i was trying to upload pictures that i edited to show where to push and where to pull etc.. but the org went down n wouldnt let me logon at that exact time lol. glad i could still helpo you at man

Quote:
Quote:
Gear... Your dog kind of resembles Blackout a little if you ever meet him in person.lol

Blackoutt is offline   Send a private message to Blackoutt Find more posts by Blackoutt Add Blackoutt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
Official Member

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Yea man, sometimes just simple advice is the best. Thanks again.

How do I give you rep points, btw?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
The Bronx 6th Gen

My Awards:

haha sweet. you see the check mark at the bottom of my post click that shit!

Comments

pimp

Quote:
Quote: