Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:04 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default How to Remove Package Deck

Member Credit: Hawk7886

The stock speakers on the 04 Max just don't cut it for me, so I decided to take apart the rear deck and swap them out with a pair of 6X9s I had sitting around. I'm planning something with more punch in the future, but I figured I might as well learn how to remove the little thumpers now, and it wouldn't hurt to put something better than paper cones while I save.

I'm sorry for the lack of pictures but it's not nearly as hard as you would imagine. I took some for those that may want reference shots before they start ripping up trim.

Start by removing the side trim pieces. These are very simple, just insert something that won't scratch behind them and lift out. There are only two integrated clips and one white body clip holding it in place. Slide it out of the way and toss it someplace soft. It may take a bit of coercing to get it to slide out safely, since there are two large plastic supports that get in the way, but it can take it. Just go slowly.

After both side trim pieces are removed, start prying the whole deck up by inserting a tool between the deck and the back of the seats. If you wish to remove the seats before doing this I can only imagine that it would make the task much easier, but I didn't bother.

Click the image to open in full size.

Push the tool as far back as you can, popping up all the clips that hold it down. DO NOT go ripping it up, as the brake light is connected to it through a ridiculously short connection feeding into the trunk. Slide the deck up and over the seats, following the path of the seatbelts. Be careful to watch your hands around the child seat latches and the seat release button.

In this shot you can see the white plastic clips that hold the deck down to the metal below, as well as the large white clip that connects the rear brake light assembly. There are five bulbs that could potentially burn out, so I'll have fun replacing those in the future if they do wind up going out. The white brake assembly clip is of the exact same sort that are used in the stock speakers. Place a tool directly in the center of the plug and push VERY FIRMLY in, then simultaneously pull the whole thing apart. With a bit of DIY skill, it should be perfectly fine. I spent about a half hour trying to figure this out due to the angle and I wound up breaking it... Luckily there are two more to practice on under the speakers!

After you have the light assembly safely unplugged, feed it up through the deck (which it is wrapped around the plastic for reasons unknown. It doesn't move at all by itself if you leave it loose) so it can safely slide away from the rear of the car to the seats, where you can set it down and access the speakers.

The speakers use 8mm sockets and are bolted down with four little screws. They're also sealed with a thin strip of material so you'll have to insert a tool between the metal deck surface and the speaker, prying directly up. Be careful when you remove the speakers, as the magnet is strong and the rear window is very close. Cover the speaker with your hand to avoid hitting the glass. I know this may seem like common sense, but you'd be surprised what happens in my garage...

I just cut the speakers at the base of the plug and soldered on some new terminals. If you do plan on replacing the stock speakers with new ones make sure that you have enough space to tighten them down. The ones that I had were apparently intended to be used with a screwdriver and not a socket, as there was insufficient space to fit the socket around the head of the screw. Few minutes of cutting and filing fixed that.

Installation is the reverse of removal, just take extra special care to line everything back up. Key phrase here is to just take your time. Slide the deck all the way back and push down firmly to pop the clips back in. Feed the side trim panels in around the brackets, pushing down first to ensure a snug fit. Snap them back into place and you're all set to go!

Lastly, here's a shot of the poor little dude in all his paper glory:

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: How to Remove Package Deck

EddyMaxx good write up , it took me about 40 min to install mine . The stock 6x9s are very cheap if you have the money people please upgrade .
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Reputation Level: 35
Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile

I have the Bose system in mine and they sound pretty bad ass to me. Don't know which system you guys have, but the bass on those speakers are just fine for me.

Greatness in the making...
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by Kontra-vers-E View Post
I have the Bose system in mine and they sound pretty bad ass to me. Don't know which system you guys have, but the bass on those speakers are just fine for me.
I had the Bose, now I have 2 Hertz 8" boxes in the trunk!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
I had the Bose, now I have 2 Hertz 8" boxes in the trunk!!!
I don't think I need that much bass. I've done the two 10" woofers in the back before, now I think it's just over kill. Not speaking on what you guys may like, but it's just too much for me. I like a clean bass without the trunk rattling or having to dinomatt it.

Greatness in the making...
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
Team Street Wandererz

Official Member #: 2672

Reputation Level: 15
LucKie1nE will become famous soon enough

Visit LucKie1nE's PS3 Profile Visit LucKie1nE's YouTube Visit LucKie1nE's Xbox Gamercard

Nice write up.. I swapped out my stocks fro Alpine 6x9.. Can't complain..
LucKie1nE is offline   Send a private message to LucKie1nE Find more posts by LucKie1nE Add LucKie1nE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2011, 01:27 AM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 301

Reputation Level: 11
deep007 is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:
Official Ride  

nice its gonna help me in future
deep007 is offline   Send a private message to deep007 Find more posts by deep007 Add deep007 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by Kontra-vers-E View Post
I don't think I need that much bass. I've done the two 10" woofers in the back before, now I think it's just over kill. Not speaking on what you guys may like, but it's just too much for me. I like a clean bass without the trunk rattling or having to dinomatt it.
Then two 8's would be right up your alley! The key is NOT to run them at 1000w each! I have a nice, well-balanced system. The bass is NOT overpowering, but you do know that it is there. I can rattle my rearview mirror if I desire, but I don't desire!
Old 10-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

Yeah I dont know how the Bose system is but anything can be made better . The non bose Maximas suck .
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Glendales Official 6th Gen

Official Member #: 2651

Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard

Did this today, a lot of trapped air now comes into my cabin and sounds much better

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z
Apollos2 (03-07-2012)
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #11

Official Member #: 4500

Reputation Level: 0
gordymoore is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow! what a great help. I removed the sspeaker deck without any problems. Thanks.
gordymoore is offline   Send a private message to gordymoore Find more posts by gordymoore Add gordymoore to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top