Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:19 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default How to Install HIDs in Fog Lights

Member Credit: !Prjtmax!

1. First you need to take off the bumper

2. Take the old fog-light bulb out

3. Take a phillips screw driver and un-screw the bottom screw to remove the little metal thing. When removed you will have to wiggle the connector off and screw the metal thing back in because it clips the bulb in (you can do this without taking the metal thing out, but you risk ripping something, so take the extra minute to take the thing out)

Click the image to open in full size.
4. Once that is done you will need to CUT the red/black wires as shown in the picture. Push the black covering back a little so that you can cut about where the red circle is.

5. Now you are holding the little black cap with 2 short wires in it. Pull those and the black rubber boot that held them in out of the cap.

6. Take needle nose pliers and start breaking off all the little hedges inside the cap that held the little black box. Do the same on the outside of the cap where the rubber boot was held.

7. Now you will need two(2) people for the next step. Both with steady hands. One will be DRILLING a 1 1/8in. hole in the cap as close to the existing hole from the rubber boot as possible. And the other will be holding the cap as carefully as possible.

8. Now after doing so clean up the edges with a knife and proceed to installing the circular rubber boot that is with the HID bulb.

9. Now back to the "cut wires." You will also need to cut the black/red wires that came with the HID kit. Do so around the red line so that the connectors are still somewhat useable.

10. Now carefully peel off the rubber coating on both black and red wires and connect red/red and black/black. Once connected make sure to put electrical tape around the red/red and the black/black. (You can also solder and do other types of connections, but this was the quickest way yet still effective.

11. Now you are READY TO GO. The best place to mount the ballast for me was snug in a little metal place by the bumper. My dad drilled ONE hole in the metal part and then just used one screw in there and it will definately NOT MOVE from that spot.

12. Now just zip-tie all of the wires in appropriate spaces so that they do not rub on other components of the car and you are set!

I DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO ITEMS OR PEOPLE. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK AND WITH SOME COMMON SENSE PLEASE.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

ONLY stock HID's/ HID's WITH 3k fog-lights

6thgen 2014 Build Thread

Last edited by AANTONE; 04-30-2010 at 09:56 PM.
dliv333 (09-24-2013), Latinmaxima (06-14-2011)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Queen's Official 6.5 Gen
Donating Member

Official Member #: 40

Reputation Level: 31
I3LAZEN will become famous soon enoughI3LAZEN will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 10

Default Re: How to Install HIDs in Fog Lights

Eddy whats the link to remove the bumper? Maybe ill use that 2 do my headlights unless you tryna come though mofo!
I3LAZEN is offline   Send a private message to I3LAZEN Find more posts by I3LAZEN Add I3LAZEN to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 PM   Thread Starter #3

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by I3LAZEN View Post
Eddy whats the link to remove the bumper? Maybe ill use that 2 do my headlights unless you tryna come though mofo!
This is it:

The first step is to remove the grill. The plastic fasteners are easy to remove. If you have two small flat blade screwdrivers, like I didn't have, you put each one on one side of the center part and pull it up. Then grab it and pull the whole fastener out. Put the grill aside somewhere where you won't step on it.

Now its time to remove the whole front bumper cover. You will need a Phillips screwdriver and your small flat blades. Start on either side of the cover. First you need to have access to some of the fasteners and screws. These are hidden behind the fender well plastic covers. Remove the fasteners that hold the fender well plastic. Remove enough of them that you can pry it open to get your arm in the TIGHT space to remove the screws.

Once you get the fender well trim open, there are two screws that hold the cover on. They are hard to get at, but try. Unscrew the two screws. Then go underneath and see many fasteners that hold the underside plastic tray to the bumper cover. These were harder for me to remove. But I got them undone. Now do the other side.The front cover drops down exposing the lights. These are held on by 10 mm screws. Find them and remove them. Here is a pic of the car with cover removed and one headlight out:

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
mr. bigs

Official Member #: 8

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

i also suggest turn the wheels that opposite way when trying to get to the screws holding the bumper up. makes it a little bit more easy
bdmaxima is banned   Send a private message to bdmaxima Find more posts by bdmaxima Add bdmaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
Queen's Official 6.5 Gen
Donating Member

Official Member #: 40

Reputation Level: 31
I3LAZEN will become famous soon enoughI3LAZEN will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Honorable Ride  

Good lookz eddy.. now that the snow is out im definitely not doing it lol.. ima give it a shot tho.. thanks man.
I3LAZEN is offline   Send a private message to I3LAZEN Find more posts by I3LAZEN Add I3LAZEN to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2010, 03:56 AM   #6

Official Member #: 60

Reputation Level: 0
donthate is on a distinguished road

Whats up fellas.. I just did this mod with a 6k hid 55w kit.. i think i blew a fuse but cant seem to find it. Is there a different type of fuse that i can get?
donthate is offline   Send a private message to donthate Find more posts by donthate Add donthate to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
L'italiano

Official Member #: 2

Reputation Level: 24
AANTONE will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Originally Posted by bdmaxima View Post
i also suggest turn the wheels that opposite way when trying to get to the screws holding the bumper up. makes it a little bit more easy
+1
i know u dont feel like starting up the car to turn the wheel but stop being lazy work smarter not harder
AANTONE is offline   Send a private message to AANTONE Find more posts by AANTONE Add AANTONE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Official Member

Official Member #: 137

Reputation Level: 10
silverwolf is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

This might be the worst how-to I've ever used.

SO many things are diff from what he listed and what's in the pics...
silverwolf is offline   Send a private message to silverwolf Find more posts by silverwolf Add silverwolf to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
mr. bigs

Official Member #: 8

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

well what how to, take the bumper off or hid fog install? if you did find a issue with the how to let us know so others can know as well if they run into the issue.

also where from jersey you from?
bdmaxima is banned   Send a private message to bdmaxima Find more posts by bdmaxima Add bdmaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
Official Member

Official Member #: 137

Reputation Level: 10
silverwolf is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

The HID fog how-to, specifically.

I got an H3 kit from Max Power last month and finally got around to installing today, and there's no wire cutting needed, he's got the wrong size hole to drill (at least for my kit), and a couple steps he just left out.

Also, for anyone who hasn't done this, there's pics u need to have up there to show ppl how things need to be done, like feeding the little black box the ground wire connects to and the bulb itself back thru the hole you drilled, or making the important note that you don't need to connect the red wire back to the stock connector next to the bulb mount. Kind of important.

Also, you see that little metal tension clip in the 1st pic? Woulda been nice if he'da mentioned that once you unscrew the top screw, NOTHING is holding that clip, and that TINY LITTLE CLIP WILL drop into the housing and get lodged into the MAIN HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY, forcing you to shake the thing like a mofo to get it out.

I couldn't find my 7/8" bit, so I'll have this finished tomorrow and put some pics up. But DAMN, somebody's gotta update this How-To.
silverwolf is offline   Send a private message to silverwolf Find more posts by silverwolf Add silverwolf to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #11

Official Member #: 27

Reputation Level: 13
Jammaxx is on a distinguished road

My Awards:

Even without this how to alot of this mod is really common sense. I did it in an hour and it was easy as pie. What took me the longest was taking the bumper off and that only happened because i was being lazy.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:50 PM   Thread Starter #12

Originally Posted by silverwolf View Post
The HID fog how-to, specifically.

I got an H3 kit from Max Power last month and finally got around to installing today, and there's no wire cutting needed, he's got the wrong size hole to drill (at least for my kit), and a couple steps he just left out.

Also, for anyone who hasn't done this, there's pics u need to have up there to show ppl how things need to be done, like feeding the little black box the ground wire connects to and the bulb itself back thru the hole you drilled, or making the important note that you don't need to connect the red wire back to the stock connector next to the bulb mount. Kind of important.

Also, you see that little metal tension clip in the 1st pic? Woulda been nice if he'da mentioned that once you unscrew the top screw, NOTHING is holding that clip, and that TINY LITTLE CLIP WILL drop into the housing and get lodged into the MAIN HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY, forcing you to shake the thing like a mofo to get it out.

I couldn't find my 7/8" bit, so I'll have this finished tomorrow and put some pics up. But DAMN, somebody's gotta update this How-To.
This write-up was done years ago on a 6thgen and is posted on 6thgen.org, and Maxima.org. Never heard any issues from them. Since then HID kits and wiring have been made much easier. Also depends on the kit as well.

These write-up's serve as a reference for people NOT a "YOU MUST FOLLOW THESE STEPS NOW" type of thing.

If you have a better one.... Feel free to make one.

Always remember that there are many ways to accomplish a mod. One shop does it one way and another does it the other way. One is easy and the other a bit more difficult.

This is why most people put disclaimers on their write-ups.

Originally Posted by !Prjtmax! View Post

I DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE TO ITEMS OR PEOPLE. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK AND WITH SOME COMMON SENSE PLEASE.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Old 07-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
Mr. Lumberjack

Official Member #: 2712

Reputation Level: 12
alum is on a distinguished road

My Awards:

This may be a noob question but does this DIY only apply to the 04-06 maximas? What about the 07-08 maximas..? I have an 08 Maxima and got myself H11 HID's for the fogs and I'm going to install them this weekend. It's going to be my first time doing this so I really don't want to screw up lol

Can anyone chime in on this? Thanks guys
alum is offline   Send a private message to alum Find more posts by alum Add alum to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
The Local 6.5 Gen

Official Member #: 564

Reputation Level: 27
cgoss will become famous soon enoughcgoss will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Simple install. Drop the bumper, plug and play, and that's it.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #15
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

V.I.P Member  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by alum View Post
This may be a noob question but does this DIY only apply to the 04-06 maximas? What about the 07-08 maximas..? I have an 08 Maxima and got myself H11 HID's for the fogs and I'm going to install them this weekend. It's going to be my first time doing this so I really don't want to screw up lol

Can anyone chime in on this? Thanks guys
As Chris said...simple install. I dropped the bumper, and I mounted my ballasts to the front metal bumper supports. I used double sided tape AND large zip ties. Everything else is just plug/play.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #16
Mr. Lumberjack

My Awards:

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
As Chris said...simple install. I dropped the bumper, and I mounted my ballasts to the front metal bumper supports. I used double sided tape AND large zip ties. Everything else is just plug/play.
Thanks guys, I don't need to cut any wires?

Also, is it possible to install the HIDs from the bottom if the car was on a ramp? Or is it absolutely necessary to drop the bumper.. This is me being lazy

Last edited by alum; 07-21-2011 at 09:42 PM.
alum is offline   Send a private message to alum Find more posts by alum Add alum to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2011, 06:32 AM   #17
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by alum View Post
Thanks guys, I don't need to cut any wires?

Also, is it possible to install the HIDs from the bottom if the car was on a ramp? Or is it absolutely necessary to drop the bumper.. This is me being lazy
EASIEST thing is to drop the bumper. You can do one side at a time, and not actually drop the bumper...just loosen one side and install that side, then do the other. You will have enough play in the cover to pull the loose side away and get in behind it, and the other side will hold it up.

I did cut/splice one wire. I didn't HAVE to, but I didn't like the one connection that they required to be made on my kit, so I spliced it.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #18
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

One question on the 07-08 fogs how or where do you guys put the ballast b/c Iam in the process of doing the 04-07 front end . Just need a little know how .
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #19
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by smittybizzle View Post
One question on the 07-08 fogs how or where do you guys put the ballast b/c Iam in the process of doing the 04-07 front end . Just need a little know how .
I put my ballasts on the sides of the bumper mount. Using the double-sided tape and zip-ties was pretty easy.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #20
Mr. Lumberjack

My Awards:

Originally Posted by Chemax View Post
I put my ballasts on the sides of the bumper mount. Using the double-sided tape and zip-ties was pretty easy.
yess did the same. didn't use zip ties just mounting tape. stayed there like a charm
Old 08-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #21
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

I did the same...once you drop the bumper, stick them on the metal bumper supports. I zip-tied them for added security!
Old 08-29-2011, 01:48 AM   #22
Reputable Member

Ok cool thanks guys .
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #23
Reputable Member

I know this topic is old but can you guys post pictures of your HID fog lights please .
Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #24
Rez

Official Member #: 4497

Reputation Level: 0
Rez is an unknown quantity at this point

So i got a kit where the ballast has 2 connectors, 1 red connector that says connect to positive, and 1 back connector that says connect to ground, but i only see 1 connector which is where the old H3 halogen was connected. Help please! I'm unfortunately in the middle of doing it right now
Rez is offline   Send a private message to Rez Find more posts by Rez Add Rez to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top