Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:28 AM   Thread Starter #1
Banned
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 328

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 10

Default How to De-badge and Paint Emblems Pt. 2

I've recently posted this on the big org and thought it would a good idea if I did one over here too. I know there is already a thread about this but, this will be my version on the whole process.
I'm going to begin with the process of removing the emblem first.

*There are two types of emblems:

-The first would be easily removable (2007-2008 with or without spoiler).

-The other emblem has holes behind the emblem and bolts that keep it in there (with 6th gen spoiler and I don't know this process).

-If you don't have a spoiler than it will be the same type of emblem as the 6.5's which means that it's held on there by OEM adhesive.

The process of removing the emblem is relatively easy. All you need is a;

*hair dryer
*goo gone
*plastic knife from Mcdonalds, tool that's included in the small package of goo gone OR a 10-20 pound test fishing line.
*2 terry cloths
*soap and water

The first step is to heat the emblem with the hair dryer for approximately 10 minutes or so;
1. Take the plastic knife or the tool that's included with the goo gone and carefully work it on both sides making sure not to scratch the paint.
2.For the fishing line.....you would actually have to use a sawing motion from top to bottom (I don't like the fishing line because there's a bigger chance of scratching the paint)

Repeat the process if necessary until it comes off.

3. Use your finger nails and remove some of the adhesive that is there as best as you can. You can also use your finger to rub it off too.
4.Take a terry cloth and put some of the goo gone on there. Then you rub where the remaining adhesive is and it should all come off pretty easy.
5.QUICKLY use soap and water to wash the goo gone off. Otherwise the goo gone will dull the paint. Use a separate terry cloth and make SURE that you keep turning the towel to prevent any of that stuff to stay on there.

And there you have it, all your emblems are removed in the same manner......

*If you want the trunk area completely shaved then here's the process.........

This is what you need:

-buffer
-rubbing compound
-polishing compound
-polish
-wax
-2 terry cloths

1. Use some rubbing compound and put it on the terry cloth. Lightly rub the areas where the emblem used to be positioned. Keep rubbing the area and turn the towel while you are doing it to remove the compound. DO NOT use pressure or else this might effect the paint.
2. Then use some polishing compound and repeat the same process as the rubbing compound.
3. Once the job of applying the compounds are finished. Take your buffer and use some polish in the areas in which you have just compounded.
4. Afterwards use a polishing bonnet and finish it off.
5. Repeat the same process with the wax.

DONE

Last edited by maximus; 09-11-2010 at 02:40 PM.
maximus is banned   Send a private message to maximus Find more posts by maximus Add maximus to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2010, 02:29 AM   Thread Starter #2
Banned

My Awards:

Default Re: How to De-badge and Paint Emblems Pt. 2

You don't have to necessarily have to follow these exact instruction because this will be an example of a person that wanted to paint their emblem a two tone paint scheme. White to match their car and black to match the trim and other sections of the vehicle.

*To paint the emblem, this is what you'll need:*

Everything can be bought at a local auto shop

-1 can of Duplicolor Adhesive promoter
-1 can of Duplicolor White paint
-1 can of Duplicolor clear coat
-1 Duplicolor black touch-up paint
-scoth blue painters tape
-exacto knife
-400, 1500, 2000 (optional) grit wet/dry sandpaper
*it's supposed to be 400,800,1500, and 2000 but this is just an emblem. Also I don't see the reason for using all of those grits since you can achieve great results with the ones that I have mentioned.
-polishing and rubbing compound
-wax
-Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 (optional)
-polish

*Tips:
1.When you sand the "chrome" off the emblem then make sure it's smooth or otherwise it will show in the finish.
2. If your sanding it in between coats of paint then use LIGHT pressure because if you don't then it can remove the paint and promoter and you will have to start the process all over again.
3. Always spray light coats of paint or whatever because it will give it a good finish and doesn't leave drips and other imperfections. Also heavier coats will lead to it chipping or cracking faster than it would otherwise.
4. DO NOT touch the emblem during the painting process....this will leave finger prints in the soft paint that will NOT disappear with extra coats of paint.
5. Wet sanding will involve putting a piece of wet/dry sandpaper in a bowl before the painting process.

Once you remove the burger from the car.

1.Use a 400 grit piece of wet/dry sand paper and sand everything out until it's smooth and all the "chrome" is gone. Then use some soap and water to wash everything off and then dry it with a paper towel.
2. Then use some Duplicolor adhesive promoter and do about three coats. Waiting about 15 min in between each coat and use your first coat of paint within 10 minutes of the last coat.

*I recommend that you use only Duplicolor products because it's not a good idea to mix paints/primer of different brands. This might cause a chemical reaction that will effect the paint. For example, chipping, peeling, etc.

3. Then after each coat of paint, you should use a 1500 grit piece of wet-dry sandpaper to LIGHTLY wet sand it . This will result in a smooth finish......wait about 20 min in between coats.
4. Wait for about two hours before adding the clear coat. Wait about 20 min in between coat. I recommend that you don't wet sand it at this time.

*If you don't care about a mirror finish then just spray the coats and don't even wet sand it.

4. Wait for about a day for the paint to dry and then use some blue scotch painter's tape and cover up the area around where it says "Nissan"......use an exacto knife and cut carefully around the letters for them to be painted (be PRECISE or else it will show in the final product and you don't want that).
5. Use some of the Duplicolor touch up paint to brush it in the letters. Wait about 30 min in between each coat. Wait about two hours before removing the tape.

FINALLY after two days, use a 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper and wet sand it. Then use a 2000 grit to finish it off. After that use some rubbing compound, polishing compound, Meguiars scratchX 2.0, and wax)

OR

You don't necessarily have to sand it if your satisfied with the result. Just use the rubbing and polishing compound. Then polish and wax......

*To put it back on your car I recommend that you use 3M tape because it isn't permanent. Just in case later down the road you decide to paint it again. BIG possibility of that happening in about 5 yrs or less due to various reasons such as fading for example.

This is what mine looks like:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by maximus; 09-11-2010 at 03:17 PM.
maximus is banned   Send a private message to maximus Find more posts by maximus Add maximus to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
Premier Member
Donating Member

Official Member #: 494

Reputation Level: 28
Jerzey has a spectacular aura aboutJerzey has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Good write up. Prob gonna do this today
Jerzey is offline   Send a private message to Jerzey Find more posts by Jerzey Add Jerzey to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 111

Reputation Level: 10
InFaReD973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

ima do mine soon
InFaReD973 is offline   Send a private message to InFaReD973 Find more posts by InFaReD973 Add InFaReD973 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 5

Any sticky on this already guys?

Good write up man. I'd stick it, but I'm mobile right now.

Good job!

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #6

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Nice job. Stickied.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Administrator

Official Member #: 75

Reputation Level: 20
Qwikhas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
Nice job. Stickied.

+1

This was my first mod so to speak.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:37 PM   Thread Starter #8
Banned

My Awards:

Ay, thanks a lot for my first official sticky and compliments yall, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by maximus; 09-11-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
L'italiano

Official Member #: 2

Reputation Level: 24
AANTONE will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Good write up
AANTONE is offline   Send a private message to AANTONE Find more posts by AANTONE Add AANTONE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2010, 10:36 PM   Thread Starter #10
Banned

My Awards:

Thanks man!