Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:08 AM   Thread Starter #1
Donating Member

my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 416

Reputation Level: 40
DarkDog is a jewel in the roughDarkDog is a jewel in the roughDarkDog is a jewel in the roughDarkDog is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Official Ride  

/ Point Value: 10

Default How-To Customize Door Panel Inserts (pic heavy)

Door Panel Removal

Tools Needed:
Nylon Pry Bar (or padded flathead screwdriver)
#2 Phillips Screwdriver
#3 Phillips Screwdriver or 10mm Socket w/ Ext

Click the image to open in full size.

Begin by carefully prying at rear of the armrest trim. Continue working toward front to release this trim panel.

Using either a 10mm socket w/ ext or a #3 Phillips, remove the screws at either side of the armrest bracket.

Depress the pressure clip to release the control panel from the armrest. Lift out and disconnect the plug.

Using a small flathead screwdriver, open the cover in the door handle. Remove the screw beneath.

At the bottom of the door panel, you will find a small notch. Grab at the point and carefully pull the door panel to release the trim clips.

6. Lift door panel to remove from window channel. You may want to use a small stool to help support the panel during the following processes.

Reach behind door panel. Unclip door lock, and door handle cables (marked in blue). Lift the top pin vertically to disengage the mechanism. Rotate lower cable to notch to release the ball lock. (marked in red)

8. Disconnect remaining plugs to complete removal.

Door Panel Disassembly

Tools Needed:
#2 Phillips Screwdriver
Dremel (or similar rotary tool)
Sm Flathead Screwdriver
Nylon Pry Bar (or padded flathead)

Remove the jute padding from the back of the panel. It's held on with hot glue, so just peel back at those spots.

Remove the foam blocks. It may be necessary to scrape underneath them to break the glue. Try not to destroy the foam, but you can piece it back together later, if necessary.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Using a #2 Phillips, remove 4 armrest retaining screws. Grind down the two plastic tabs in between the armrests brackets.

Flip panel over to remove armrest

Remove 4 door handle retainer screws (marked in blue). Then, using a small flathead screwdriver, carefully release clips to disengage door handle mechanism.

Remove door handle trim from the front of panel.

There are 19 Black plastic welds, in red, (on the front panel) and 25 Black plastic welds (on the rear panel) holding the trim insert to the main panel. Using your Dremel, with a sanding disc, grind these welds flat. Be careful not to grind too far, or you will make reassembly very difficult. As you make your way, with the grinder, use a small pry bar or screwdriver to help separate the insert from the main panel.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

For the rear panel: Lift up at the bottom of the trim panel and rotate to release from the top crosspiece.

For the front panel: There are 9 White plastic welds connecting the insert to the top crosspiece. Carefully grind these down to separate.

Recovering & Assembly

Tools Needed:
Siphon Feed Paint Gun w/ Industrial Contact Adhesive
or
3M Aerosol Adhesive
#2 Phillips Screwdriver
#8x3/8" Gutter Screws (2 packs)
#8x1/2" Gutter Screws (2 packs)
#8 Flat Washers (4 packs)
Punch/Awl
Razor Blades

Measure your panel and mark your material, making sure to leave several inches, on all sides, to account for contours and to wrap around the backside of the panel.
*If using suede: Be sure to measure the width of your panel across the width of the roll. Suede has a 'nap' and will have different shades when viewed from different directions.

2. Using your adhesive of choice, spray a medium thick coating across the entire surface of the panel. Be sure to focus on areas of deep contour, but don't go overboard. You want this to be a smooth layer. Let this sit for 15-20 minutes, or until completely dry. This layer will help to achieve a strong bond for your material. Take this dry time to cut your pieces, being sure to mark which way is up if using suede.

Working on one panel at a time: I find it best to start at the top, flatter section of the insert panel. After sufficient dry time, spray a second, light, even coat on the top half of the panel, and half of the backside of your material. Let tack for 2 - 3 minutes. Begin laying your material, using a light stretch. Apply firm pressure, as you go, to set the adhesive. Take care to avoid wrinkles as you set the adhesive.

*Do NOT apply pressure to areas that have not been stretched. Contact adhesives are extremely strong, and can damage the material and/or panel, if it needs to be removed.*

Roll the material around the crest of the panel, using your fingertip to set it into the grooves.

Flip your material, and spray a light, even coat of adhesive on the remaining panel, and material. Let tack for 2 - 3 minutes.

5. Start in the middle and work the material down and out. Stretch just enough to avoid wrinkles. Be sure to roll the material into the contours and stretch up and out. Certain suedes have an tighter knit, and require slightly more of a stretch to work wrinkles out.
*If using vinyl or leather, you can use a heat gun (on low setting) or a hair dryer to help make the material more pliable, and easier to stretch. If too much heat is used, the material can easily melt and become weak.*

Spray a light coat of glue on the side of the panel and the last bit of material. Stretch down and secure with firm pressure.

Flip the panel, and spray a light coat of adhesive on the backside of the plastic panel, as well as the material. Let tack 2 - 3 minutes.

Cut notches in the material to allow you to fit it around the studs on the panel. Beginning in the curve, stretch the material up and around the panel, setting it with firm pressure. Roll the material over the side of the panel, and set. You will need to cut a notch, in the corner, to allow for proper stretch and fitment. The top can be trimmed evenly with the insert panel.

Spray a light coat around armrest openings. Let tack 2 - 3 minutes. Using a razor blade, make relief cuts in all corners to allow for stretch. Trim as necessary to maintain an even layer of material. Set with firm pressure. Cut the door handle opening, leaving approximately 1/8" of overhang.

Flip your panel and admire your handiwork for a moment. You only have three panels to go!

10. Using a punch/awl, break through the material at all screw holes.

11. Fit rear insert panels back into the main panel, starting at the top, and rotating down.

You are now ready to begin reattaching your insert panel to the main panel. Use the #2 Phillips Screwdriver (no power tools), #8x3/8 Screws, and #8 Washers to screw into the studs left over from grinding the plastic welds.

13. For the front door panels: Reattach the top crosspiece first. Fit the guide studs into the proper holes. Then use the #8x1/2 Screws and #8 Washers, to fix the trim panel to the leftover White plastic weld studs. You can then attach the assembly to the main door panel assembly, using #8x3/8 Screws and #8 Flat Washers in the black plastic weld studs.

14. Repeat for remaining three panels.

15. Replace door handle trim ring on the front of the panel. Snap the mechanism into the clips from the rear, and set with screws.

16. Reinstall armrest.

Reattach the foam blocks and jute padding using hot glue.

18. Reinstall door panels on your car, using a reverse of the above process.

____

If any clarification is needed, feel free to ask. PMs work, but it may be faster to email me (mike@DarkDogcustoms.com). I'm hoping to get a short video soon, to further illustrate how to stretch and lay your material through the contours of the trim panel. I'll update this as soon as that happens.

Comments

Repped....very nice write up.

Great write up

Repped!!

Thundershott Seal Of Approval: Only Awarded To "Outstanding Informational Posts Of The Highest Caliber" Job ...

Repped!!!

Very Nice write up. Thank you
04max28 (04-13-2012), 06BlckMax (04-12-2012), 1hawaii50 (04-15-2012), BOOTZ (04-12-2012), BossQ (04-12-2012), craze (04-12-2012), hero782 (04-12-2012), Kenny (04-12-2012), Latinmaxima (04-12-2012), Lulzz (04-12-2012), mny5506 (04-12-2012), Thundershott (04-12-2012), VegasMax (09-22-2012), vich (08-26-2012)
DarkDog is offline   Send a private message to DarkDog Find more posts by DarkDog Add DarkDog to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
Glendales Official 6th Gen

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 35
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 5

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: How-To Customize Door Panel Inserts (pic heavy)

NICEEEE!!!!! Good job buddy

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 301

Reputation Level: 11
deep007 is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:
Official Ride  

nice im going mine as soon as i get em tom.
thanks alot buddy
deep007 is offline   Send a private message to deep007 Find more posts by deep007 Add deep007 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 73
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

What an excellent detailed narrative of instructions and photos.

A+ for your time and knowledge in this thread.

Thundershott Seal Of Approval

Whatever that is

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Latinmaxima (04-12-2012)
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
Official Member

Official Member #: 335

Reputation Level: 22
hero782 will become famous soon enoughhero782 will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

I smell a sticky coming soon!! Great job!
hero782 is offline   Send a private message to hero782 Find more posts by hero782 Add hero782 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
Official Member

Official Member #: 301

Reputation Level: 11
deep007 is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:
Official Ride  

great guy i order the Suede door inserts from him. Answered all my questions great guy.
deep007 is offline   Send a private message to deep007 Find more posts by deep007 Add deep007 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2012, 01:33 AM   Thread Starter #7
Donating Member

Official Member #: 416

Reputation Level: 40
DarkDog is a jewel in the roughDarkDog is a jewel in the roughDarkDog is a jewel in the roughDarkDog is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Thanks guys.. that's much appreciated!

@deep007 : make sure you post up pictures when you're done
DarkDog is offline   Send a private message to DarkDog Find more posts by DarkDog Add DarkDog to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2012, 02:11 AM   #8
Official Member
Donating Member

Official Member #: 110

Reputation Level: 20
dstruc is on a distinguished road

damn. now thats a write up. good job dude.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:26 AM   #9
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Stuck.

Good job!

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2012, 04:09 AM   #10

Official Member #: 3127

Reputation Level: 14
ESTEP_33 will become famous soon enough

Visit ESTEP_33's PS3 Profile Visit ESTEP_33's YouTube

Looks good
Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard

Sweet! Always nervous about these panels. This makes me a little more confident. Thanks

Dicho por Tapatalk 2 en el Epic Touch de Latinmaxima!