Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default How to Convert Halogen to HID Headlights

Courtesy of MrBruno

---

This is my first attempt at doing a write-up, so be gentle lol. and mods - feel free to clean this up, or make it a sticky if its worthy.
anywho, i installed an 8k kit yesterday, along with a couple minor bumper mods that will be in another thread. i was running stock halogens.
so here we go!

im going to skip the obvious things - removing bumper, headlights etc... there are already stickys on these so i didnt bother. plus its ez as pie. pooty pie in fact.

tools i used - drill, dremel and regular tools to remove headlight/bumper.
pretty simple.

after to you get the headlights removed, you are going to want to pull the cover off the back of the headlight by twisting it.
unplug the 2 connections inside the headlight, and get on a good flat surface, because you will need to drill a hole for the wires and rubber grommet.

Click the image to open in full size.
the kit i bought was pretty much ready to go. plug and play other than the hole u have to drill.
make sure to not drill the hole too big, you dont want moisture getting inside.
i used a regular cordless drill to get the hole started, then opened it up with the dremel. u can use just the drill, but it was a cleaner, rounder hole with the dremel.

the connection that hooks into the ballast is a little bit bigger than the hole needs to be, so be careful on this part. i took off a little clip that was on the connection. depending on your kit, this may or may not be there.
i took the little piece off to make it easier to fit through the hole without having to drill it too big.

once you fit the wires and grommet in the hole, plug everything in and close 'er up. make sure those connections are good and tight, i had to tear one back down because the main connection was just barely loose. PITA.

after you get those sealed back up, you'll need to find a place to mount the ballasts. this was the only thing that hung me up. after trying several places and failing, i ended up with 2 conclusions on where to put em.
for the driver side, there are 2 ground wires. i used the bottom one to mount the bracket, but i had to angle the ballast behind my CAI. but it works pretty good, and is in a relatively safe place.

the passenger side, however, was not so easy. i tried about 10 different spots before i gave in. i had to get a little ghetto on this one, but it works for me. the ballast fit quite nicely behind the headlight housing, so i just tucked it in and wrapped some electrical tape around it lol. but it works.

after u get ur ballasts mounted/hidden/whatever, all u gotta do is put it all back together! MAKE SURE YOU TEST EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU RE-ASSEMBLE!!!! i had my drivers side working, but when i put the headlight back in, it didnt work. thats where i had the loose connection i mentioned earlier.

but once its done, this is what u get! i couldnt get great pics, but heres what i have.

BEFORE

AFTER

I TRIED TO GET SOME PICS OF THE NICE CUTOFF LINE AND THE COLOR, BUT IT WAS STILL KINDA LIGHT OUTSIDE. I CAN TAKE SOME MORE IF ANYONE WANTS ME 2

HARD TO SEE, BUT FINAL PRODUCT

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
Mr.mauga (09-26-2010)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
RI's 6th Gen Elite
Donating Member

Official Member #: 93

Reputation Level: 16
elitemax04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Banner of The Month  

/ Point Value: 10

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Default Re: How to Convert Halogen to HID Headlights

good write up... caddy grill on that?!

In a relationship with MAXiPAD72O
elitemax04 is offline   Send a private message to elitemax04 Find more posts by elitemax04 Add elitemax04 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
L'italiano

Official Member #: 2

Reputation Level: 24
AANTONE will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

yeah thats brunos max
AANTONE is offline   Send a private message to AANTONE Find more posts by AANTONE Add AANTONE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Premier Member

Official Member #: 2470

Reputation Level: 10
silvermax06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok. Im new to this. So do these kits plug into the factory harness on the car? Or do you have to rewire thing's?
silvermax06 is offline   Send a private message to silvermax06 Find more posts by silvermax06 Add silvermax06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by silvermax06 View Post
Ok. Im new to this. So do these kits plug into the factory harness on the car? Or do you have to rewire thing's?
They are usually plug and play.

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Premier Member

Im just trying to figure out. Once you unplug the harness from the factory bulb an install the hid. What do you hook that plug back up to?
silvermax06 is offline   Send a private message to silvermax06 Find more posts by silvermax06 Add silvermax06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Im just trying to figure out. Once you unplug the harness from the factory bulb an install the hid. What do you hook that plug back up to?
Most kits have plugs ready to go. I got mine from MaxPower and it was all plug 'n play. The plug that you're probably talking about will connect to the ballast to supply the power instead of directly to the bulb.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
Premier Member

Ahhh. Got it plus i finally found a video. They come with a wire that hooks to the ballast on one side an hooks to the facotry plug on the other side. I know you have to drill a hole for the new wires but how are you suppose to get the old harness out So it's not on the inside of the cover like it comes from the factory?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Honorable Ride  

Ahhh. Got it plus i finally found a video. They come with a wire that hooks to the ballast on one side an hooks to the facotry plug on the other side. I know you have to drill a hole for the new wires but how are you suppose to get the old harness out So it's not on the inside of the cover like it comes from the factory?
Once you get in there and look at it,you'll figure out how it all needs to go together. Some times its hard to explain how to do things like this,its easier when you see it yourself...it really is easy,trust me.

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

No. The factory harness/plugs still fit in the plastic cap. Tight fit, but it'll work.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Premier Member

So i run the wire that powers the ballast through the hole in the cap to an connect it to the factory harness it. Im still trying to figure out how i will get the plug through the groment to feed inisde the cap to connect the harness. Is there a more indepth write up on this somewhere else... I got everything figured out except that...