Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > How To's & DIY Mods > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:59 PM   Thread Starter #1
Senior Moderator

my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Default How To Add LED's To Cupholder, Center Console, And Compartment

OK guys, I had a little time this afternoon/evening, so I got this thing done!

You will need 4 LEDs in your choice of color...get them here:

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-surface-mount-led

Then you will need one single pole/single throw switch (if you want to have your cupholder LED's switchable...I did)

Then you will need a pack of insulated crimp connectors, and some T-Taps.

It helps if you have some 16-20 gauge wire too, but if not, you should have enough wire on the leads of the LEDs.

Lastly, you will need a hot glue gun.

You can hard wire everything, and the install will go more quickly, but if you ever have to remove your shifter bezel, or your cupholder then you will have to cut wires. Thats why I used the spade connectors, so I can still remove everything.

This will apply to 07-08, and can also be done for the 04-06 with minor adjustments. The first thing you need to do is to pull the shifter plate/bezel out. Here is the sticky to remove the shifter plate:

How to Remove Your Stock Radio

Then, pop out the cupholder tray...it pops out of the center console...set it aside for now. Then, remove the center console...there are 4 TorX screws holding it in...sticky for console removal is here:

How To Remove Center Console & Heated Seat/Steering Wheel Switches

Set the console aside. Now, I tapped the shifter light to get power for my LED mods. I originally pulled the pin from the plug because I was going to solder my hot lead to the pin, but I decided to use T-Tap connectors instead. You will have to cut back some of the wrap from the wires so you can get enough wire to install a T-Tap.

Click the image to open in full size.

I installed my T-Tap and then zip tied the hot lead to the wires for the shifter light:

Next, I took about a 2' length of wire and ran a ground. I used one of the bolts/studs located beneath the center console...just reward of the airbag module.

I zip tied the ground to the wire harness that was right there, and I ran the ground lead up to the shifter and laid it aside.

Then I took the center console and turned it over and I drilled a hole in the space where the cupholder tray sits. I drilled my hole in the front, lower passenger side corner (as the console sits when installed in the car)

I then installed a rubber grommet in the hole...you don't need to, but that's how I roll...It makes for a cleaner installation.

Next I took my cupholder tray, and I drilled 2 small holes in the center of each cupholder. I sized the hole so that the LED would just fit into the hole...to be held in with hot glue.

Then I ran a bead of hot glue around each hole, and pressed the LED into the glue. I glued the LED's in from the BACKSIDE of the tray...

I then ran another bead of hot glue over the LED and the glue that was already put down the first time. I also ran a bead of hot glue and pressed the wire into the gluea...to hold the wire down.

Then I took the shifter plate assembly, and I turned it upside down. I then drilled a hole in the center of the small compartment. At the top of the compartment, at the back, the roof of the compartment angles down where it transitions from the roof of the compartment to the rear wall. I drilled my hole on that 45 degree angle section. Then I ran a bead of hot glue, pressed the LED into the glue, and ran another bead over the top. Then I ran another bead for the wire to be pressed into:

I then turned my center console around, so I was looking at the back, where the rear vents would be, and I drilled a hole about halfway up the center compartment. I then glued another LED into that hole and glued the wire down...I thought I got pics of this, but I guess I missed this part. I can get them tomorrow and add them in. I then ran the lead for the console LED up underneath the console to the front of the console I set the console back into place...DO NOT SCREW IT DOWN YET...you may need to move it around to get to your wires!

I then took my center console LED wires and pulled them through the rubber grommet that I installed at the front of the cupholder opening. I also pulled the ground lead and the hot lead through the grommet as well so all 4 wires are now sitting in the cupholder cutout in the console. Now you can screw the center console down.

I took my switch, and I drilled a 15/16" hole in the center of my cupholder tray...right between the 2 cupholders, and I pushed the switch into the hole, snapping it into place. I took the ground lead and wrapped it with the console LED ground, and I installed a female spade connector on the end. I took the hot lead, and I wrapped the console LED hot lead around it, and I installed a female spade connector on the end of that. Then I took the two LEDs glued to the cupholder tray, and I twisted both hot wires together, and both ground wires together. I attached a female spade connector to the hot wires, and a male spade connector to the ground wires.

I went back to the center console, and used a T-Tap on the ground lead and another T-tap on the hot lead and I ran both wires under the radio. I also T-tapped the ground wire inside the cupholder cutout, and put a spade connector on the new ground lead there. I attached that new ground lead to the ground wires of the LEDs in the cupholder tray. Now the cupholder can be removed, unplugged, and pulled free of the car if need be.

I went to the 2 wires that I ran up under the radio, and I attached spade connectors to each one. I then attached spade connectors to the + and - leads of the LED that is glued to the small compartment under the radio. I plugged the connects together for the small compartment and the wires under the radio, and I put the shifter bezel back on the car.

I then went into the cupholder cutout, and I attached the grounding spade connector to the ground on the switch. I attached the hot lead connector to the power side of the switch, and I attached the + connector from the LEDs in the cupholder to the load side of the switch. I then connected the ground wires/spade connector from the LEDs to the new lead that I T-Tapped there. Now everything is plugge in!

Now you can snap the cupholder tray back into the cutout. You will have to wiggle the wires around to get the wires out of the way so that the tray will sit back in flush...you end up with this:

Now, when I turn my headlights on I have this:

My cupholder LEDs are controlled independently by the switch.

I may end up blacking out the blue LED on the rocker switch...AdvanceAuto didn't have any switches that would fit without an LED.

Last edited by 1hawaii50; 06-11-2011 at 10:36 PM.
hero782 (06-11-2011), jhbsolo (06-12-2011), Maxifun (06-13-2011), okmaxx (12-25-2013), riot7252 (06-29-2012), S.V (06-13-2011), Thundershott (06-11-2011), vitec115 (06-11-2011)
1hawaii50 is offline   Send a private message to 1hawaii50 Find more posts by 1hawaii50 Add 1hawaii50 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #2

Official Member #: 1

Reputation Level: 20
EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Re: LED Cupholder, Center Console, And Compartment MOD!!!!

HOLY MOLY!!!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
1hawaii50 (06-11-2011), riot7252 (06-29-2012)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Nice write up!!!!

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
1hawaii50 (06-11-2011)
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #4

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

looking Great Don, nice job. How Long is this gonna take to get stickied,

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
1hawaii50 (06-11-2011)
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Reputation Level: 35
Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile

Hawaii, I'm coming to Ohio and have you just redo my whole car!!!

Nice write up man, looks very clean and professionally done.

Greatness in the making...
1hawaii50 (06-11-2011)
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Sweet man!! AWESOME write up! I bet it took as long to write it as it did to do the job.
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2011, 10:38 PM   Thread Starter #7
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

I bought 2 LEDs for the center console compartment, but I only used one...HOLY CRAP these things are bright! There's absolutely no way I'd be able to drive around with my cupholder lights on and the cupholder door open...

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Originally Posted by officerfrasher View Post
Sweet man!! AWESOME write up! I bet it took as long to write it as it did to do the job.
It took longer to do because I had to make sure that I could remove all of the pieces if need be. If I'd hardwired it, I could have done it all in about an hour.

As for the LED on the rocker switch...I think if I remove the ground from the bottom of the switch that the switch LED will not light...I may end up doing that...no sure just yet...
Old 06-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
Mile High City 6th Gen

Official Member #: 483

Reputation Level: 14
vitec115 is on a distinguished road

Visit vitec115's PS3 Profile Visit vitec115's Xbox Gamercard

Dammm dude they look pretty nice,hey is that a lot of work,you know just for some leds how long did the install take u?
Old 06-11-2011, 10:54 PM   Thread Starter #9
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by vitec115 View Post

Dammm dude they look pretty nice,hey is that a lot of work,you know just for some leds how long did the install take u?
I had to make a run to Advance Auto...I've probably got about 3 hours or so in it. Keep in mind, I was taking pics along the way too. Now that I've done it, I could do it much more quickly if I had to do it again. Also, as I said, if you hardwired the LEDs it would go a little quicker.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #10
Premier Member

Official Member #: 119

Reputation Level: 107
20inlowpros is a splendid one to behold20inlowpros is a splendid one to behold20inlowpros is a splendid one to behold20inlowpros is a splendid one to behold20inlowpros is a splendid one to behold20inlowpros is a splendid one to behold20inlowpros is a splendid one to behold20inlowpros is a splendid one to behold

Ok...at the risk of sounding like a dumb ass

How do you keep the cupholder light from getting wet? And if it does, will the liquid affect them?

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
I would do a MAN in the ass to get this car.

Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
If you experience an erection that lasts longer than 4 hours, clear the rest of your schedule and get your electrolytes up. Ha!
20inlowpros is offline   Send a private message to 20inlowpros Find more posts by 20inlowpros Add 20inlowpros to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #11
Premier Member

Official Member #: 11

Reputation Level: 41
CleanMaxx has a spectacular aura aboutCleanMaxx has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Honorable Ride  

Visit CleanMaxx's Twitter Visit CleanMaxx's YouTube
Default Re: How To Add LED's To Cupholder, Center Console, And Compartment

Should I expect anything less from Don. Wow.

sent from my EVO using tapatalk
CleanMaxx is offline   Send a private message to CleanMaxx Find more posts by CleanMaxx Add CleanMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #12
Parking Lot Pimpin
Donating Member

Official Member #: 78

PapaL has a spectacular aura aboutPapaL has a spectacular aura aboutPapaL has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by 20inlowpros View Post
Ok...at the risk of sounding like a dumb ass

How do you keep the cupholder light from getting wet? And if it does, will the liquid affect them?
No dumbass hahaha jk about the dumbass part.

^^^Nice ass bro!!
Originally Posted by chulo View Post
oh man! pm me if u want to get big by august
PapaL is offline   Send a private message to PapaL Find more posts by PapaL Add PapaL to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #13
Official Member
Donating Member

Official Member #: 110

dstruc is on a distinguished road

very creative. i like it.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #14
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

WOW, Don this is awesome. What an amazing write-up. This is the way all How to's should be done.

Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
1hawaii50 (06-12-2011), Thundershott (06-12-2011), vich (09-18-2012)
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #15

Official Member #: 1

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

I seriously nominate this as how-to of the month which is a new thing im starting next to encourage more how-to's.

Thanks Don!!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
1hawaii50 (06-12-2011), CleanMaxx (06-12-2011)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2011, 12:24 AM   #16
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
I seriously nominate this as how-to of the month which is a new thing im starting next to encourage more how-to's.

Thanks Don!!

Id vote for that...

Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #17
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 73
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Hawaii,
Not only can you express yourself in words, but with the visual aid of pictures along with your knowledge and experience you have singly taught those of us who are interested, how to install, wire and enjoy a great Mod that has become popular and is now standard equipment on some higher end new cars.

Great job.

This qualifies for the:
THUNDERSHOTT SEAL OF APPROVAL

Whatever that is.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
1hawaii50 (06-12-2011), Madmaxipad (05-09-2012)
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #18
Queen's Official 6.5 Gen
Donating Member

Official Member #: 40

Reputation Level: 31
I3LAZEN will become famous soon enoughI3LAZEN will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Honorable Ride  

Wow very nice and clean work bro... as always expected from you! Awesome job.
1hawaii50 (06-12-2011)
I3LAZEN is offline   Send a private message to I3LAZEN Find more posts by I3LAZEN Add I3LAZEN to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2011, 01:44 AM   #19
Donating Member

Official Member #: 534

Reputation Level: 15
lake29 will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Wow! Very very nice.....
Old 06-12-2011, 01:45 AM   #20
Premier Member

20inlowpros is a splendid one to behold20inlowpros is a splendid one to behold20inlowpros is a splendid one to behold20inlowpros is a splendid one to behold20inlowpros is a splendid one to behold20inlowpros is a splendid one to behold20inlowpros is a splendid one to behold20inlowpros is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by thundershott View Post

This qualifies for the:
THUNDERSHOTT SEAL OF APPROVAL

Whatever that is.
EWWWW....thats gonna be sticky plastered across his forehead!

If you experience an erection that lasts longer than 4 hours, clear the rest of your schedule and get your electrolytes up. Ha!
20inlowpros is offline   Send a private message to 20inlowpros Find more posts by 20inlowpros Add 20inlowpros to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2011, 01:50 AM   #21
Parking Lot Pimpin
Donating Member

Official Member #: 78

PapaL has a spectacular aura aboutPapaL has a spectacular aura aboutPapaL has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

EWWWW....thats gonna be sticky plastered across his forehead!
I think a thundershott takes place on the orifice on the other end. Or so urbandictionary says.

^^^Nice ass bro!!
Originally Posted by chulo View Post
oh man! pm me if u want to get big by august
PapaL is offline   Send a private message to PapaL Find more posts by PapaL Add PapaL to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2011, 02:13 AM   #22
Premier Member

I think a thundershott takes place on the orifice on the other end. Or so urbandictionary says.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:46 AM   #23
East LA's Official 6th Gen Maxima

Official Member #: 206

Reputation Level: 15
georgelv1999 is on a distinguished road

Great DIY Don, the cupholders and compartment look very cool lit up. I'd for this DIY as well.

BTW the LEDs are water-proof.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:53 AM   Thread Starter #24
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

As George said, the LEDs are sealed/waterproof right from the company.
I chose to mount my LEDs UNDERNEATH the cupholders, because I thought they were a little tall and would cause some of my coffee mugs not to sit flush in the cupholder. You could always cover the opening with some clear silicone if you are worried about water, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, if you have step drill bits, that is the way to go to drill the holes. I used a 5/16" step bit for the LED openings. It allowed them to sit almost perfectly in the hole, without falling through!

Cheapest place for step bits is your local Harbor Freight...I have 5 different step bits...well worth the money!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:18 AM   #25
The Local 6.5 Gen

Official Member #: 564

Reputation Level: 26
cgoss will become famous soon enoughcgoss will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member