Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:38 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 360

Reputation Level: 9
Bill Grinley is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Worn Door Pins

I was surprised to find my search turned up nothing on worn door pins for the 6th gen Max. Purchased our second 6th gen this week, after looking at a dozen- 3 of em had worn drivers door pins. Obviously neglecting to keep the pins greased on the door hinges leaves them egg shaped and worn. Does anyone have a vendor to get these hinges- would you swap the pins with bushings like the 80 style G bodies? I think dropping the front quarter panel would expose the hinge for a simple replacement. Has anyone done this? Thanks, Bill
Bill Grinley is offline   Send a private message to Bill Grinley Find more posts by Bill Grinley Add Bill Grinley to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 AM   Thread Starter #2

Default Re: Worn Door Pins

Originally Posted by Bill Grinley View Post
I was surprised to find my search turned up nothing on worn door pins for the 6th gen Max. Purchased our second 6th gen this week, after looking at a dozen- 3 of em had worn drivers door pins. Obviously neglecting to keep the pins greased on the door hinges leaves them egg shaped and worn. Does anyone have a vendor to get these hinges- would you swap the pins with bushings like the 80 style G bodies? I think dropping the front quarter panel would expose the hinge for a simple replacement. Has anyone done this? Thanks, Bill
got lots of views on this post, but no one has any input? I saw a post for lambo doors and the front quarter reveals the two hinges- is this the way to replace these? does anyone know where the hinges can be found? any advice is appreciated
Bill Grinley is offline   Send a private message to Bill Grinley Find more posts by Bill Grinley Add Bill Grinley to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

got lots of views on this post, but no one has any input? I saw a post for lambo doors and the front quarter reveals the two hinges- is this the way to replace these? does anyone know where the hinges can be found? any advice is appreciated
Yes those are the hinges. Its really a non existent issue on maintained Maximas unless owner before you placed a lot of dynamat in the doors and made them heavier.
You can get them at the dealer. 2 bolts & 2 nuts hold each one.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-

Last edited by BurntOrangeAppeal; 11-01-2012 at 01:50 PM.
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2012, 12:07 PM   Thread Starter #4

Originally Posted by BurntOrangeAppeal View Post
Yes those are the hinges. Its really a non existent issue on maintained Maximas unless owner before you placed a lot of dynamat in the doors and made them heavier.
You can get them at the dealer. 2 bolts & 2 nuts hold each one.
Gotcha, yeah this one isnt a CPO, and while there isnt any dynamat- they neglected to lube the hinges. Do I need to remove the quarter, or can i remove the door and access them that way?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Burnt Orange

BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Gotcha, yeah this one isnt a CPO, and while there isnt any dynamat- they neglected to lube the hinges. Do I need to remove the quarter, or can i remove the door and access them that way?
FYI, &reference quarter panels are in the back fenders are in the front.

Disconnect door electrical connector located behind the kick panel
You will need to unbolt the door then you can unbolt the hinge. (this will save you time and you don't have to remove fenders)
Reverse the procedure to install. I Highly recommend a helper.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2012, 01:22 PM   Thread Starter #6

FYI, &reference quarter panels are in the back fenders are in the front.

Disconnect door electrical connector located behind the kick panel
You will need to unbolt the door then you can unbolt the hinge. (this will save you time and you don't have to remove fenders)
Reverse the procedure to install. I Highly recommend a helper.
Thanks, and not to look a "gift horse in the mouth", but as long as I've been a hot rodder, and import tuner, the front and rear fenders have always been referred to as Quarter panels ie Front quarter etc...
But no matter- you say tomato... lol

I am glad to hear the fender doesnt have to come off, as I dont like adjusting for the reveals, and can do it all with just the door! Thanks for the advice, it is very much appreciated!! I suppose the stealership is the place to get these?
BurntOrangeAppeal (11-02-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
Burnt Orange

Thanks, and not to look a "gift horse in the mouth", but as long as I've been a hot rodder, and import tuner, the front and rear fenders have always been referred to as Quarter panels ie Front quarter etc...
But no matter- you say tomato... lol

I am glad to hear the fender doesnt have to come off, as I dont like adjusting for the reveals, and can do it all with just the door! Thanks for the advice, it is very much appreciated!! I suppose the stealership is the place to get these?
Id go dealer. But that's me. You can also try junk yards
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 11-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

I've got Dynamat Xtreme in both front doors...other than keeping the pins greased, anything else need to be done to keep the wearing to a minimum?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
Burnt Orange

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
I've got Dynamat Xtreme in both front doors...other than keeping the pins greased, anything else need to be done to keep the wearing to a minimum?
No not really. Its a wear and tear item. Just lube. Slamming doors also puts strains on the front pins especially if your rear strikers latch is not adjusted and causes the door to ride up or down as its closed.
-=My Build Tread=-
Old 11-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

No not really. Its a wear and tear item. Just lube. Slamming doors also puts strains on the front pins especially if your rear strikers latch is not adjusted and causes the door to ride up or down as its closed.
Thanks brother!!!