Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 4398

Reputation Level: 8
gmpdmd is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Trouble With New Switchbacks

Here is my situation: I installed ebay switchbacks several weeks ago. They were not inexpensive ($50) and were from a reputable seller. Here is what's happening. Turn signals work perfect. White bulbs work fine when in park, but when in drive, passenger side flickers like a turn signal when idling but seems to come on when I gas it. Driver side seems ok at idle, but they both shut off and turn on randomly as I accelerate. Not sure what happens when I'm cruising, because I've just been going by what I see in the reflection of the car in front of me or a window of a building. I removed the passanger side and did the "j bend" in the wire to tighten it up as i've read in other posts thinking it was a loose connection but that has made no difference. I have resistors but have not put them in as the hyperflashing doesn't bother me that much (don't judge). The only other mods I have are Nismo CAI, led fogs, and interior leds. My questions for all you wise members out there are: Will the resistors make a difference (I don't think so)? Are the bulbs just crappy/defective? Is there something wrong with my car electroniclly?? Do I need to get a grounding kit from Hawaii?? What the heck is going on?? Please Help. Thanks for reading my long a$$ post!!
gmpdmd is offline   Send a private message to gmpdmd Find more posts by gmpdmd Add gmpdmd to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #2

Official Member #: 1422

Reputation Level: 0
jsandhu91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit jsandhu91's Facebook Visit jsandhu91's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: Trouble With New Switchbacks

Originally Posted by gmpdmd View Post
Here is my situation: I installed ebay switchbacks several weeks ago. They were not inexpensive ($50) and were from a reputable seller. Here is what's happening. Turn signals work perfect. White bulbs work fine when in park, but when in drive, passenger side flickers like a turn signal when idling but seems to come on when I gas it. Driver side seems ok at idle, but they both shut off and turn on randomly as I accelerate. Not sure what happens when I'm cruising, because I've just been going by what I see in the reflection of the car in front of me or a window of a building. I removed the passanger side and did the "j bend" in the wire to tighten it up as i've read in other posts thinking it was a loose connection but that has made no difference. I have resistors but have not put them in as the hyperflashing doesn't bother me that much (don't judge). The only other mods I have are Nismo CAI, led fogs, and interior leds. My questions for all you wise members out there are: Will the resistors make a difference (I don't think so)? Are the bulbs just crappy/defective? Is there something wrong with my car electroniclly?? Do I need to get a grounding kit from Hawaii?? What the heck is going on?? Please Help. Thanks for reading my long a$$ post!!
pretty sure you need the resistors. I was told that with out them its kind of just burning out but im having them installed in a few days ill let you know how it goes.
jsandhu91 is offline   Send a private message to jsandhu91 Find more posts by jsandhu91 Add jsandhu91 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Glendales Official 6th Gen

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 35
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard

without resistors switchbacks can cause alot of issues, but i dont see what accelerating etc would have to do with that , try putting your old bulbs back and see if the oem bulbs do that, if not then atleast you know theres nothing wrong with the electrical of your car and might have to do with the switchbacks not having resistors, just my 2 cents

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Banner of The Month  

I would lean more towards defective bulbs. If you have a volt meter check to see if the voltage is the same or fluctuating at the bulb socket under the conditions described in the OP.

The resistors connect to the turn signals only. Without them you get the hyper-flashing.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 PM   Thread Starter #5

Official Member #: 4398

Reputation Level: 8
gmpdmd is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an update in case anyone else runs into the same problem I had...I installed resistors yesterday and everything seems to be working perfect now. Thank you all for your input
gmpdmd is offline   Send a private message to gmpdmd Find more posts by gmpdmd Add gmpdmd to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top