Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:05 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 8487

Reputation Level: 7
Steezmuffin686 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Steering Wheel Grime

heya all. well ive tried and tried and short of replacing the steering wheel im lost as to how to clean all this...junk...off of it. its like the grime that builds up on bass strings/guitar strings. if anybody gets my drift. how can i clean that stuff off? like dead skin mixed with lotion type stuff. ne ideas?
| 04 SE 6mt | ralco rz sts | shifter hacked 4" | no name cai | ebay catback | Racingline FSTB | Progress RSB | RoadMagnet springs (winter) | BC BR coilovers (summer) | SPC rear camber arms | 5% tint&banner | Hardwired passport 9500 | kicker 10DCVR12's | pioneer avh 280bt 6.2" | Hyfonics Brutus 1600w amp | Sherwood Carbon Fiber dash kit | OBX headers | G-coupe 18's | 5&20mm spacers | junction produce goodies |...more to come

Last edited by 06BlckMax; 06-10-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Steezmuffin686 is offline   Send a private message to Steezmuffin686 Find more posts by Steezmuffin686 Add Steezmuffin686 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Steering Wheel Grime

I just used to use a little soap & water but it didn't seem to last too long. Mines not too bad, but I hate even a slightly dirty wheel.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 73
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Default Re: steering wheel grime

Why is your wheel so grimy in the first place? Don't you use driving gloves?

I wonder if your wheel is not really that dirty but is beginning to deteriorate. You may not be cleaning at all and have penetrated the color finish of the steering wheel down to the leather and all of your cleaning efforts are simply removing bits of paint and discolored leather.

It can be repainted and will look like new.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
Flipadelphia

Official Member #: 662

Reputation Level: 55
06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Visit 06BlckMax's PS3 Profile

Chemical Guys SPI_208_16 - Extreme Leather Cleaner Colorless & Odorless Leather Cleaner (16 oz)

------See How It Was Built------
06BlckMax is online now   Send a private message to 06BlckMax Find more posts by 06BlckMax Add 06BlckMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Flipadelphia

Official Member #: 662

Reputation Level: 55
06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough06BlckMax is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Visit 06BlckMax's PS3 Profile

------See How It Was Built------
06BlckMax is online now   Send a private message to 06BlckMax Find more posts by 06BlckMax Add 06BlckMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Try a Mr. Clean Magic eraser. Use a little baby shampoo with water. Youll be surprised what it will clean out of there. Be careful though if you use too much pressure you might burn thru the leather.

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #7

Official Member #: 3127

Reputation Level: 14
ESTEP_33 will become famous soon enough

Visit ESTEP_33's PS3 Profile Visit ESTEP_33's YouTube

Leather lotion(shoe store) does it for me. Steering wheels' nice and soft, but my armrest is all hard from lotion and sweat combo. Smh
Old 06-30-2013, 10:59 AM   Thread Starter #8
Official Member

Originally Posted by Thundershott View Post
Why is your wheel so grimy in the first place? Don't you use driving gloves?

I wonder if your wheel is not really that dirty but is beginning to deteriorate. You may not be cleaning at all and have penetrated the color finish of the steering wheel down to the leather and all of your cleaning efforts are simply removing bits of paint and discolored leather.

It can be repainted and will look like new.

thundershott, i have zero idea...bought the car off some fella that never ever cleaned a single part of the car so im left repairing this forsaken diamond. however some warm water and a days worth of vigorous rubbing got it all off, for the most part. thank you all for the responses and info! idk if it was cocoa butter with lotion but dude....it was everywhere.
| 04 SE 6mt | ralco rz sts | shifter hacked 4" | no name cai | ebay catback | Racingline FSTB | Progress RSB | RoadMagnet springs (winter) | BC BR coilovers (summer) | SPC rear camber arms | 5% tint&banner | Hardwired passport 9500 | kicker 10DCVR12's | pioneer avh 280bt 6.2" | Hyfonics Brutus 1600w amp | Sherwood Carbon Fiber dash kit | OBX headers | G-coupe 18's | 5&20mm spacers | junction produce goodies |...more to come
Steezmuffin686 is offline   Send a private message to Steezmuffin686 Find more posts by Steezmuffin686 Add Steezmuffin686 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 73
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by Steezmuffin686 View Post
thundershott, i have zero idea...bought the car off some fella that never ever cleaned a single part of the car so im left repairing this forsaken diamond. however some warm water and a days worth of vigorous rubbing got it all off, for the most part. thank you all for the responses and info! idk if it was cocoa butter with lotion but dude....it was everywhere.
Good to hear it cleaned up nicely for you. Your "Diamond" is beginning to shine.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2013, 10:09 PM   Thread Starter #10
Official Member

Originally Posted by Thundershott View Post
Good to hear it cleaned up nicely for you. Your "Diamond" is beginning to shine.
ya man, now a rf fender and rf door...this guy..im sure he drunk parked it and side swiped some person... so 290 for a blk door, il use my interior and a new front fender. tryna find some nice se-r front springs and endlinks for the transformation. luckly the door hinges werent damaged at all.