Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:29 PM   Thread Starter #1
RezThread Starter
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 4497

Reputation Level: 0
Rez is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default License Plate Lights and Fog Lights?

Hey guys, this is probably a dumb question, but do you guys know how to change out the license plate lights on a 04 Maxima? I got some white T10 bulbs to do it from ebay, but I'm worried I'll mess something up, I couldn't find a DIY for it . Also I got some blue H3 lights to replace my fogs from eBay, I was wondering if any H3 bulbs will fit into my 04. I don't wanna burn something out or something.

Thanks guys.
Rez is offline   Send a private message to Rez Find more posts by Rez Add Rez to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Official Sweet Action 6.5gen

Official Member #: 117

Reputation Level: 66
Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Official Ride  

/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube
Default Re: License Plate Lights and Fog Lights?

the LP bulbs are easy. open up your trunk, remove the carpet liner on the trunk lid and you should see the connections.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Glendales Official 6th Gen

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 36
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard

For the license plate light it's very very simple.

Open your trunk lid and remove the liner, take a flat head or a panel remover tool and carefully pry the tabs out

Once the trunk lid liner is off look at the location where the license plate lights appear, there are bulb sockets on each side, turn them counter clockwise for about 90 degrees and they'll loosen up and pull gently and the socket will come right out showing the bulb.
If my instructions aren't that easy too follow i can make a quick write up later on if you want too wait.

As for the fog lights I got the same Ones except white, you're going to have to remove your bumper and take the head light out for the install to be easy, I haven't done it yet so I can't tell you 100% if it works and/or how long it lasts

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2012, 08:48 PM   Thread Starter #4
RezThread Starter

Thanks! I will do the LP lights tomorrow morning. If you don't mind you can do a write-up. I'm sure there are lots of noobs like myself that read many of the DIYs. :P. I figured as much for the fogs, I'm gonna have my mechanic do the fogs for now and watch how he does it. Thanks for the QUICK replies guys, this forum is a godsend .
Rez is offline   Send a private message to Rez Find more posts by Rez Add Rez to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #5

Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube

Rez, are you any kind of mechanically inclined? at all? know your way around a ratchet and a screwdriver?

if so, dont pay someone to do these mods for you!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:59 PM   Thread Starter #6
RezThread Starter

I'd like to think that I am, but I've never really messed around with my car til I started browsing these forums. I'm kind of worried about taking off the bumper and doing the lights. But you are right, I should try this over the weekend. Any recommendations on switchbacks? If I'm going to take off the bumper and do the lights might as well put some cool new switchbacks :P.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #7

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

well, if you plan on doing switchbacks i'd throw in a pair of 6 ohm resistors on each side too. just T-tap em in.

i promise, taking the bumper off is easy cheezy lemon squeezy fa reezie bro.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Official Member

Official Member #: 584

Reputation Level: 10
timpol is an unknown quantity at this point

Headlights / foglights will take 60-90 minutes with most of that being working to drop the bumper. License plate lights will take 30 seconds. I found that with some LEDs for the LP lights they have to go in a certain way so if it doesn't light up right away, take the bulb out and do a 180 with it.
timpol is offline   Send a private message to timpol Find more posts by timpol Add timpol to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 74
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Originally Posted by kaygmaxima View Post
For the license plate light it's very very simple.

Open your trunk lid and remove the liner, take a flat head or a panel remover tool and carefully pry the tabs out

Once the trunk lid liner is off look at the location where the license plate lights appear, there are bulb sockets on each side, turn them counter clockwise for about 90 degrees and they'll loosen up and pull gently and the socket will come right out showing the bulb.
If my instructions aren't that easy too follow i can make a quick write up later on if you want too wait.

As for the fog lights I got the same Ones except white, you're going to have to remove your bumper and take the head light out for the install to be easy, I haven't done it yet so I can't tell you 100% if it works and/or how long it lasts

I just replaced my license plate tag lights last week.
Like @kaygmaxima and @Nismo4Life07 said, it is pretty simple. You do not need to remove all the black plastic clips holding the trunk liner in place. I only needed to remove two on each side, (the one nearest the bulb and the next one further back on the side) just enough to get my hand in to remove and replace the bulb (I have large hands). Be very careful removing and replacing the clips. I broke two and went to three dealers to find a replacement. Mine have a phillips head on them. They seem to pop out easy but there is a trick to put them back in. Use a phillips head screwdriver and turn the head until it pops in. Do not force it or the prongs will break off. Look at the clip and you will see it is actually two pieces. Pulling back on the head makes the prongs retract then you will be able to push it in using the screwdriver to seat the clip into the trunk liner.

I hope I haven't confused you.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #10

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by Rez View Post
Thanks! I will do the LP lights tomorrow morning. If you don't mind you can do a write-up. I'm sure there are lots of noobs like myself that read many of the DIYs. :P. I figured as much for the fogs, I'm gonna have my mechanic do the fogs for now and watch how he does it. Thanks for the QUICK replies guys, this forum is a godsend .
How To Change License Plate Bulbs here you go bro, hope it helps

Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2012, 12:36 AM   Thread Starter #11
RezThread Starter

Great, thank you so much guys. Kayg thanks for the write up man. It helped a lot. I was pondering selling my 04, but I may not now. You guys formed a really great community here. I follow various other car forums but this is def one of the most thorough, helpful, and responsive. Def gonna be modding a lot more now,.

I really want to do switchbacks but I'm worried after reading some posts here that there are various bad quality ones out there, you guys have any suggestions on brands or where to buy?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #12

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by Rez View Post
Great, thank you so much guys. Kayg thanks for the write up man. It helped a lot. I was pondering selling my 04, but I may not now. You guys formed a really great community here. I follow various other car forums but this is def one of the most thorough, helpful, and responsive. Def gonna be modding a lot more now,.

I really want to do switchbacks but I'm worried after reading some posts here that there are various bad quality ones out there, you guys have any suggestions on brands or where to buy?

No problem bro that's what we're here for, and as for switchbacks I think the best ones are from vleds bro or autolumination.com I can't remember which one it was.