Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:19 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 626

Reputation Level: 28
joecurr has a spectacular aura aboutjoecurr has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Are IPCW LED Taillights Too Bright?

So I got my ruby red taillights during the group buy late last year. While driving at night, I sometimes see the light reflecting off signs and cars behind me, so I thought wow, these things must be bright. Then I noticed when I'm braking, like at stop lights, that the tails are illuminating the interior of the car behind me! I've even been high beamed once, from a car that was behind me on a 4-lane road, so I'm pretty sure it's because of the taillights. So one day I turn my headlights on and walk behind my car to check it out, and I'm like "f@ck these ARE pretty bright", and that's without the brakes, I can't even imagine how bright they are when the brakes are on.

Does anyone else feel this way? I don't know anyone local with ruby reds so I can't compare, but my two issues are that if the LED's are this bright, they are probably being overdriven and are more prone to failure, and that the brightness could be affecting other drivers. I've seen other OEM LED taillights and none of them are as bright as these. I could take pictures but it'll be hard to accurately display the brightness of the red light.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Default Re: Are IPCW LED Taillights Too Bright?

I know the ones I have (bought a little over a year ago) are brighter than some that are older than mine.
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Official Ride  

I have the black ones, and I've never thought that they are too bright. I have noticed, though, that there doesn't seem to be a HUGE difference between them just being on and the brakes being applied. The brakes on they are just marginally brighter. My third brake light always lights which makes the brake lights seem brighter.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Premier Member

Official Member #: 2470

Reputation Level: 10
silvermax06 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the smoked one's an they are pretty bright. But i don't have to look at them so
HawaiiMAX808 (08-25-2012)
silvermax06 is offline   Send a private message to silvermax06 Find more posts by silvermax06 Add silvermax06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Official Member

Official Member #: 249

Reputation Level: 9
johnnymaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

The brighter the better lol...at least you know they'll see you braking from away
HawaiiMAX808 (08-25-2012)
johnnymaxx is offline   Send a private message to johnnymaxx Find more posts by johnnymaxx Add johnnymaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Originally Posted by officerfrasher View Post
I know the ones I have (bought a little over a year ago) are brighter than some that are older than mine.
You speak of my older set. They are dim compared to yours. There are so many factors from the materials used to the amount of usage. I drive with my lights on all the time. Over time, just as with any light source, LED's do lose their brightness. Or they may be made from different materials. Who knows.

The brake lights are very bright though. I can see peoples faces in the mirror lit up looking like hell boy.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by DAlastDON View Post
You speak of my older set.
Yup
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard

James tail lights are stupid bright! As are my ruby red...

Posted Via Tapatalk 2
Old 04-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #9

Official Member #: 551

Reputation Level: 12
BkzNism06 is on a distinguished road

i don't think they are too bright...but then again i haven't seen em when the brakes are applied. i've seen drivers and passengers behind me try to cover their eyes though before when they were behind me at a stop light
BkzNism06 is offline   Send a private message to BkzNism06 Find more posts by BkzNism06 Add BkzNism06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #10

Official Member #: 4901

Reputation Level: 0
Dotson817 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol I just installed the ipcw chrome ones last night, was gonna get smoked but some guy asked me outside autozone of I wanted to buy them since he didn't like the color and got ruby, anyways I got them for $140, and they are BRIGHT that's why I LOVE them

I used to hate people that had them so now it's my turn to attract haters, like others have said people can't miss you braking, so more advantage.

I'm also about to replace the factory hid bulbs with 8k's so I can be real bright all around :D
Dotson817 is offline   Send a private message to Dotson817 Find more posts by Dotson817 Add Dotson817 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Awesome price!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #12

Awesome price!
Yeah I got real lucky lol.
Also got my fujita cold air intake for free because some guy on Craigslist just wanted the stock one to mod it... Lol I couldn't argue that, he even did all the labor (not too hArd anyways)
S.V (04-30-2012)
Dotson817 is offline   Send a private message to Dotson817 Find more posts by Dotson817 Add Dotson817 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

I hate you
Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #14

I hate you
Ah we all get lucky here and there, right place at right time,

What I do is go on craigslist, search maxima, then as category pick auto parts

It will filter out all the stupid cars for sale and just list what people have for the maximas

I search every few days or when I get a chance
InFaReD973 (05-01-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #15
Official Member

Official Member #: 2630

Reputation Level: 8
Jonwall is an unknown quantity at this point

they are WAY brighter than other taillights. On two lane roads between towns at night when i hit the breaks i can light up signs clearly that are 200-300+ yards away. Really though theres nothing thats TOO bright, especially if youre in an area with foggy weather, they could save your life. The other thing is all taillights are red, so although they will be bright they shouldnt affect peoples vision at night, that will be affected far more by oncoming headlights.
Jonwall is offline   Send a private message to Jonwall Find more posts by Jonwall Add Jonwall to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #16
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

I agree.I have the ruby red as well and I think they are very bright. If I close my garage and turn off all the lights and then hit the brakes, my garage lights up.

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2012, 02:54 PM   Thread Starter #17
Official Member

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by DAlastDON View Post
The brake lights are very bright though. I can see peoples faces in the mirror lit up looking like hell boy.
Originally Posted by BkzNism06 View Post
i don't think they are too bright...but then again i haven't seen em when the brakes are applied. i've seen drivers and passengers behind me try to cover their eyes though before when they were behind me at a stop light
Originally Posted by Jonwall View Post
they are WAY brighter than other taillights. On two lane roads between towns at night when i hit the breaks i can light up signs clearly that are 200-300+ yards away. Really though theres nothing thats TOO bright, especially if youre in an area with foggy weather, they could save your life. The other thing is all taillights are red, so although they will be bright they shouldnt affect peoples vision at night, that will be affected far more by oncoming headlights.
That's why I feel they are indeed TOO bright. When I look at them from behind, the parking lights are already almost the same brightness as most people's brake lights, so I feel like the jacka$$ who replaced their brake light with the wrong bulb and it's just constantly super bright, and the worst part is that's not even it's brightest. I love how the taillights look, but I hate being the jacka$$ with bright a$$ taillights that make people have to cover their eyes or look away. I don't like when other people do it, so I don't want to do it either. I think there is such thing as too bright, regardless of color, since any color equal in brightness will have similar affect on your night vision. I know when someone with busted taillights that are constantly bright drive past me I can see better on the opposite side of the car, similar to when a car with bright headlights is driving behind me.

Originally Posted by Dotson817 View Post
I'm also about to replace the factory hid bulbs with 8k's so I can be real bright all around :D
If you really plan on being real bright all around you are heading in the opposite direction. The higher in color temperature you go the less bright it is, and assuming you're using aftermarket bulbs since no OEM manufacturer makes anything above 6000k, it'll be even worse. 4300k is technically the brightest, but if you get Osram/Sylvania CBI's those are probably the best bulbs on the market, equivalent if not brighter than 4300k bulbs and at 5000k color temperature has a crisp white output. They're not cheap at almost $200 a pair, but you said you want bright. Those are definitely on my to-do list.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #18
Always For Self

Official Member #: 50

Reputation Level: 18
craze is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Visit craze's Facebook Visit craze's PS3 Profile

Put tint vinyl on them

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?n51rv3
Posted Via Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
Official Member

Official Member #: 2220

Reputation Level: 25
myounz will become famous soon enoughmyounz will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

I agree they are bright as hell but I love it and have received many compliments for them. I also see signs behind me light up in red. And i got these during the deal, the ruby reds. I don't mind the brightness at all though.

Check Out My Build Thread
http://my6thgen.org/f13/myounz-07-maxima-16702/

Also check out my instagram @_myounz
myounz is offline   Send a private message to myounz Find more posts by myounz Add myounz to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 PM   Thread Starter #20
Official Member

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by craze View Post
Put tint vinyl on them

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?n51rv3
Posted Via Tapatalk
I'm done with vinyl, and I don't want the tails darker than they already are.

Originally Posted by myounz View Post
I agree they are bright as hell but I love it and have received many compliments for them. I also see signs behind me light up in red. And i got these during the deal, the ruby reds. I don't mind the brightness at all though.
I love how it looks too, but like I said, my two concerns are blinding other drivers and the LED's being overdriven. With the LED's this bright they must be running at or past nominal, which means they'll eventually fail and you'll have to replace the tail. Overdriving LED's would defeat the purpose of them, lights that will outlast halogen bulbs. I recall at least one instance (I believe there are more) of single LED's going out, whether it's due to a faulty LED or being overdriven .
Old 05-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #21
Premier Member

Official Member #: 76

Reputation Level: 17
jsmithsole is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Guinness Record Holder  

/ Point Value: 15

Banner of The Month  

I always liked how bright mine were, they aren't to the point of blinding people behind you so consider them to be safer that's all. As far as them being overdriven, I think the brightness also comes from the design and the added reflector, not too much power being put to them. The failure rate to date has been really low. They really did a great job finishing the design of those for us.

Now I got new LED tails for my Titan and these things are even brighter! I also notice everything behind me lighting up when I hit the brakes but again, hopefully it will prevent anyone from rear ending me!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #22

Official Member #: 5807

Yannkil is on a distinguished road

I have few questions about this taillight...are the leds durable? If one of the leds goes off ,can you replace it for a regular led ( like 3157 type leds) ? Im still undecided between this ipcw taillight,ezkoncept taillight or just buying 3157 leds from v-leds....
Yannkil is offline   Send a private message to Yannkil Find more posts by Yannkil Add Yannkil to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #23
Official Member

Official Member #: 2220

Reputation Level: 25
myounz will become famous soon enoughmyounz will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

It's not that simple, you would have to go through a warranty exchange through the vendor you got it from. And the ones from EzKoncepts ARE IPCW, EzKoncepts is just the vendor. Some people have had fogging issues with the recent set of black ones but other than that, haven't heard of any other issues.

Check Out My Build Thread
http://my6thgen.org/f13/myounz-07-maxima-16702/

Also check out my instagram @_myounz
myounz is offline   Send a private message to myounz Find more posts by myounz Add myounz to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #24
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by Yannkil View Post
I have few questions about this taillight...are the leds durable? If one of the leds goes off ,can you replace it for a regular led ( like 3157 type leds) ? Im still undecided between this ipcw taillight,ezkoncept taillight or just buying 3157 leds from v-leds....
3157's probably won't be that bright thru stock tails. I tried some, they weren't from V LEDs, but they weren't nearly bright enough.

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #25

Official Member #: 5807

Yannkil is on a distinguished road

i was checking these out

3157 - 3156 LED - Red LED

they're 7 watts so they should be really bright...which one you have?
Yannkil is offline   Send a private message to Yannkil Find more posts by Yannkil Add Yannkil to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top