Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:42 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 420

Reputation Level: 10
04max is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
Default HID Problems

i have an HID kit for my head lights and my fogs.. however one of my ballest kept blowing a fuse so now i cant run my fogs... and also my headlights at night are so DIM!! is there anyway to adjust my headlights or something that i am forgetting to do to make it so that i can actually see at night?
04max is offline   Send a private message to 04max Find more posts by 04max Add 04max to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Glendales Official 6th Gen

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 36
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: HID Problems

What kind of hid kit do you have? Maybe it's defective or maybe there's a loose wire, have you tried re-wiring everything to see if you still have that problem?
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Team Street Wandererz

Official Member #: 2672

Reputation Level: 16
LucKie1nE will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Visit LucKie1nE's PS3 Profile Visit LucKie1nE's YouTube Visit LucKie1nE's Xbox Gamercard

What brand HID kit do you have and are you running higher than 55w..?
LucKie1nE is offline   Send a private message to LucKie1nE Find more posts by LucKie1nE Add LucKie1nE to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
Premier Member

Official Member #: 76

Reputation Level: 17
jsmithsole is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Guinness Record Holder  

/ Point Value: 15

Banner of The Month  

Most kits should be plug and play. If its blowing fuses, sounds like a wiring issue or a bad ballast. Call the co and hopefully they'll send you a replacement. I just had both of my ballasts swapped out on my truck.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Official Member

Official Member #: 626

Reputation Level: 29
joecurr has a spectacular aura aboutjoecurr has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by 04max View Post
i have an HID kit for my head lights and my fogs.. however one of my ballest kept blowing a fuse so now i cant run my fogs... and also my headlights at night are so DIM!! is there anyway to adjust my headlights or something that i am forgetting to do to make it so that i can actually see at night?
Not sure about the ballast, it's probably the ballast failing. As for the headlights being dim, it's the HID kit in the halogen projector. The halogen projectors are not designed to aim light from an HID bulb correctly, so the light is very scattered. When I had an HID kit, I found that a lot of the bright light was in the high beam, which was pretty much useless. If you want usable light, your best bet is to go OEM.
joecurr is offline   Send a private message to joecurr Find more posts by joecurr Add joecurr to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 PM   Thread Starter #6

Official Member #: 420

Reputation Level: 10
04max is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

im using raptor 35w 5000k kit. from ddmtuning.com
and yeah i probably will go back to the oem lights cause these just arnt cutting it ya they look good but i cant see and thats no good hahaha
04max is offline   Send a private message to 04max Find more posts by 04max Add 04max to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 1598

Reputation Level: 21
smittybizzle will become famous soon enough

Yeah just go OEM b/c a kit in a halogen projector is just wrong .
smittybizzle is offline   Send a private message to smittybizzle Find more posts by smittybizzle Add smittybizzle to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Official Member

Official Member #: 626

Reputation Level: 29
joecurr has a spectacular aura aboutjoecurr has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

I've been working on converting my halogen headlights to HID, so I figured I'd throw this out there. When I am closer to done I'm going to make a detailed write-up.

Here's why HID kits aren't good for halogen projectors. Look at the size difference between the Hella D2S projector on the left and the halogen projector on the right. The Hella projector is designed for an HID bulb, and you are putting that bulb in a projector designed for halogen bulbs that emit light in a completely different way.
Click the image to open in full size.

And here is one of my halogen projector reflector bowls after years of having an HID kit. It is upside-down, and you can see the discoloration (burning) of the bowl at the bottom. That portion of the bowl is what projects light for the low beam, and since it is burnt it won't project much light. Hella projectors aren't immune to burning, but the chances are less likely when using all OEM equipment.
You can also see wrinkles all over the inside of the bowl. The bowl is supposed to be smooth, and these wrinkles will greatly diminish the amount of light reflected. Now this may be an isolated incident since my other bowl didn't look like that, but I am thinking the HID kit caused that since that is the projector from the headlight that blew the OEM 15A fuse.
Click the image to open in full size.