Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:41 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 6357

Reputation Level: 0
Vercthejerk is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default HID Kit-Piece-Meal

Hey everyone,
I'm trying to retrofit Gen V Matsushita ballasts into my '07 (halogen). I've found that I'm going to have to buy my kit piece-by-piece. What adapters/connectors do I need to make this work? I see that I'll need One pair Universal Fit D2S/D2R to AMP HID adapters but is a converter cable necessary to power the ballasts? Also, has anyone mounted the Matsushita ballasts anywhere besides the headlight? I'm lost here, and have tried to do the research. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by 06BlckMax; 01-29-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Vercthejerk is offline   Send a private message to Vercthejerk Find more posts by Vercthejerk Add Vercthejerk to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 626

Reputation Level: 28
joecurr has a spectacular aura aboutjoecurr has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: HID kit-piece-meal

IMO, I wouldn't waste money or time using OEM ballasts on non-D2S projectors. It won't help the light output at all, the ballast will just last longer (assuming it's potted to make the connectors waterproof). Since you want to use OEM ballasts, I think you should really consider swapping out your halogens for E55 or Hella EvoX-R projectors.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 AM   Thread Starter #3

Default Re: HID Kit-Piece-Meal

Yea, new lenses are def on the list. They're gonna be one of the last purchases, after I figure out the wiring needs.
Vercthejerk is offline   Send a private message to Vercthejerk Find more posts by Vercthejerk Add Vercthejerk to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 626

Reputation Level: 28
joecurr has a spectacular aura aboutjoecurr has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

If you swap the halogen projectors out, you WILL have to bake open the headlights. If you bake open the headlights, you might as well cut open the ballast mount at the bottom. If you do that, I'm not 100% sure the Gen V ballasts will fit down there, I am 100% sure that the Gen III and IV ones do. If you go that route, you won't need a D2S>AMP adapter since you'll be using D2S bulbs. All you'll need is either a 9006>Matsuh!ta ballast input, or if you know how to solder then you can cutoff the 9012 connector and solder the ballast input.

A basic list of parts for a true HID conversion:
1. D2S projectors (Maxima E55 and Hella EvoX-R are directly swappable)
2. D2S bulbs
3. Matsush!ta ballasts w/ igniters
4. Matsush!ta ballast inputs
5. Headlight sealant (butyl rubber, many people use the Nissan headlight sealant, I just used the one from theretrofitsource)

I have converted a pair of 6 and 6.5 gen halogen headlights to OEM HID, and it is well worth it.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 PM   Thread Starter #5

Thanks for the info! Gonna bake, cut the mount spot open, paint, and convert to hid all at once