Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:40 AM   Thread Starter #1
L36Thread Starter
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 3575

Reputation Level: 9
L36 is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Heated Steering Wheel Install

Hello.
Has anyone here converted their maxima from non heated to heated steering wheel? I can get my hands on a cheap heated steering wheel combo + switch and just wondering if the cars already prewiered for that, if its just plug and play...
Thanks.
L36 is offline   Send a private message to L36 Find more posts by L36 Add L36 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: Heated Steering Wheel Install

I haven't converted but it would certainly be nice if it was. First I would look to see if you have a harness behind the blank for the switch and see if it is simply taped down to the existing harness. If anything I can try to take a picture of the plug and harness coming to it later and post if to see if you have that plug.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:22 PM   Thread Starter #3
L36Thread Starter
Official Member

Originally Posted by latinismo View Post
I haven't converted but it would certainly be nice if it was. First I would look to see if you have a harness behind the blank for the switch and see if it is simply taped down to the existing harness. If anything I can try to take a picture of the plug and harness coming to it later and post if to see if you have that plug.
Yeah, but getting behind the switches to see if the harness is in place will require me to dissemble the whole arm rest, which will take up a good amount of time. I'm a sucker for a shortcut and was hoping to find someone here who maybe did this conversion.

Nonetheless, if i don't get a response within a week or so, il probably go rooting there myself, found a mint condition black heated steering wheel, too hard to pass up for just $25.
L36 is offline   Send a private message to L36 Find more posts by L36 Add L36 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Executive Member

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard

The steering wheel switch is not mounted in the armrest/center console. It is mounted where the dimmer and mirror switches are to the lower left of the steering wheel. I can try to look later and get the picture you need. The blank in the center console was for elite package rear sun visor.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

The steering wheel switch is not mounted in the armrest/center console. It is mounted where the dimmer and mirror switches are to the lower left of the steering wheel. I can try to look later and get the picture you need. The blank in the center console was for elite package rear sun visor.
That's only for 04-06. The 07-08's have it in the center console.

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
Executive Member

Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
That's only for 04-06. The 07-08's have it in the center console.

Well then. let me shut my mouth. I should have asked the year first. Thanks for the knowledge Rani!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...QQXOFoNA#t=20s

Last edited by Latinmaxima; 04-27-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: added video
Latinmaxima is offline   Send a private message to Latinmaxima Find more posts by Latinmaxima Add Latinmaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2012, 06:29 PM   Thread Starter #7
L36Thread Starter
Official Member

So, by looking up in the fuse box, the wire for the heated wheel is there, found the picture of the plug. So the harness is there, but the problem is that the switch for the heated steering wheel is incorporated with the mirrors and dimmer.

That creates a fitting problem as the layout of my dimmer and mirror switch is quite different to the one with the switch for the steering wheel. Going to look into this, but seems to be impossible because you need a different lower dash for this to work.

Alright, the harness for the heated steering wheel is there, i highly doubt that its the harness for the VTC switch, but that is possible. Ive seen pictures of the HSW switch and the harness, they match up perfectly.

Nonetheless, if you don't have the heated option, you need a new lower drivers cluster pad since they're different in that area, one has holes for VTC and HSW switches and the other don't.

Overall, courtesy carries the lower dash, for $55+shipping, which is quite good pricing. I'm going to root around my local salvage yards and see what i can find. Il look into this conversion and update the progress once im done. Although, il take months before im done as i have other things in motion, this will get addressed before autumn time.

Last edited by L36; 04-27-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Latinmaxima (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Executive Member

Glad your sorting it out man!
Old 04-27-2012, 07:40 PM   Thread Starter #9
L36Thread Starter
Official Member

Glad your sorting it out man!
It can be done, i might do it for the shits and giggles. Just need a black lower cluster with the said holes. Wondering if all of this worth for the "omg heated steering wheel so awesome in winter" thing.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
Executive Member

I had a heated steering wheel and then went without. Now I have it again. I won't go back!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:05 PM   Thread Starter #11
L36Thread Starter
Official Member

I had a heated steering wheel and then went without. Now I have it again. I won't go back!
Last but not least, im going to make sure that the harness i spoke of is 100% the one for HSW. Id rather not spend money on this until im certain. Will see how this goes. Already found the lower cluster panel that matches with my interior and has those spaces for the HSW.

Last edited by L36; 04-27-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Latinmaxima (04-30-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #12

Official Member #: 6152

Reputation Level: 7
Smokin5s is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

did you ever get this to work? I'm in the process of doing this now myself? I'm trying to find a switch and wires for it. I have already ordered the steering wheel and I am hoping to order the replacement clock spring today for it.
Smokin5s is offline   Send a private message to Smokin5s Find more posts by Smokin5s Add Smokin5s to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #13

Official Member #: 6152

Reputation Level: 7
Smokin5s is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

I still need to purchase a clock Spring for my car in order to complete the install... anyone know what part number I need for an '08 heated steering wheel going into an '05 car?
Smokin5s is offline   Send a private message to Smokin5s Find more posts by Smokin5s Add Smokin5s to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top