Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 502

Reputation Level: 10
Ascendantmax is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
Default Halogen projectors = Hella E55?

Hello all,

So I've started a quest on improving the light output on my max. I've been reading over on HID Planet to get some ideas and what-not, and learning quite a bit on the topic since I'm pretty much a newbie in this area. From my understanding, the stock HID projectors in our cars uses the Hella E55 projectors...which isn't really known for its output or the width of the beam, but offer excellent high beam performance. Are the halogens E55's as well?

Then I was searching for over at the Retrofit Source, and found the new Hella EvoX-R, which is an improvement over the older E55 design. Have anyone over here tried the EvoX-R? Is it a direct replacement to the E55's? Output seems to be better from online pictures, but how's the width of the beam on the road?

Thanks in advance for any info! I'm done with cheap PnP kits in the halogen projectors. Time to get the good stuff and do it right since I do A LOT of night time driving.
Audio: Eclipse CD5100, Arc Audio 1500-XXK, Arc Audio 4150-XXK, DLS Iridium 8.3i, DLS Nobelium 12, Arc Audio XEQ Equalizer, Boston Acoustics SL65, Custom A-Pillars, Hushmat, Cascade Audio Deflex, Kicker Hyperflex, Audison ST Interconnects.

Performance: Berk Tech intake - Cory's BOP - Racingline Y-Pipe - Greddy SP2 Cat-back - Progress Sport - KYB - Viper 791XV alarm - 5000k HID headlights and fogs - T-Rex billet grill - IPCW LED tails - 20% tint on sides, 5% tint back window - Suede headliner
Latinmaxima (12-07-2011)
Ascendantmax is offline   Send a private message to Ascendantmax Find more posts by Ascendantmax Add Ascendantmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: Halogen projectors = Hella E55?

I wish I could answer this for you but I know that retrofit source is top notch. Matt gives the best customer service and I wouldn't hesitate to use their products if you find out it is compatible. I could see the need for a wider pattern on my 04 SE with HID. I want to mod the cutoff a well to take the shift out of beam. Taxes can't come soon enough.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 626

Reputation Level: 29
joecurr has a spectacular aura aboutjoecurr has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Originally Posted by Ascendantmax View Post
Hello all,

So I've started a quest on improving the light output on my max. I've been reading over on HID Planet to get some ideas and what-not, and learning quite a bit on the topic since I'm pretty much a newbie in this area. From my understanding, the stock HID projectors in our cars uses the Hella E55 projectors...which isn't really known for its output or the width of the beam, but offer excellent high beam performance. Are the halogens E55's as well?

Then I was searching for over at the Retrofit Source, and found the new Hella EvoX-R, which is an improvement over the older E55 design. Have anyone over here tried the EvoX-R? Is it a direct replacement to the E55's? Output seems to be better from online pictures, but how's the width of the beam on the road?

Thanks in advance for any info! I'm done with cheap PnP kits in the halogen projectors. Time to get the good stuff and do it right since I do A LOT of night time driving.
I THINK the halogen ones are halogen E55's, but I KNOW they are directly swappable with the D2S versions. The E55's are similar to the E46 projectors, which aren't very wide but have pretty good distance. I actually bought the Evo X-R's pretty soon after they came out without much info out there (probably not a smart idea). If you look at the Evo X-R threads on HIDplanet, you will see my posts there (you have to sign in to see the pictures).

Hella Evox-R.. Anyone have output pics? - Page 8

The width is a bit better, but it seems that the center brightness, which is the light that shines further down the road, isn't as bright. I currently have an Evo X-R in my driver side and the E55 in my passenger side because I haven't decided what to do after my output tests. I may try modding the one that isn't installed to try to get the center brighter.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 PM   Thread Starter #4
Official Member

Originally Posted by joecurr View Post
I THINK the halogen ones are halogen E55's, but I KNOW they are directly swappable with the D2S versions. The E55's are similar to the E46 projectors, which aren't very wide but have pretty good distance. I actually bought the Evo X-R's pretty soon after they came out without much info out there (probably not a smart idea). If you look at the Evo X-R threads on HIDplanet, you will see my posts there (you have to sign in to see the pictures).

Hella Evox-R.. Anyone have output pics? - Page 8

The width is a bit better, but it seems that the center brightness, which is the light that shines further down the road, isn't as bright. I currently have an Evo X-R in my driver side and the E55 in my passenger side because I haven't decided what to do after my output tests. I may try modding the one that isn't installed to try to get the center brighter.
Hmm, the output is fairly similar to the stock unit. I was hoping the beam would be similar to the FX-R or the like. The width does look brighter though. Were there other projectors that you were considering before you bought the evox-r?

Looking forward on your updates with pics! Thanks man.
Audio: Eclipse CD5100, Arc Audio 1500-XXK, Arc Audio 4150-XXK, DLS Iridium 8.3i, DLS Nobelium 12, Arc Audio XEQ Equalizer, Boston Acoustics SL65, Custom A-Pillars, Hushmat, Cascade Audio Deflex, Kicker Hyperflex, Audison ST Interconnects.

Performance: Berk Tech intake - Cory's BOP - Racingline Y-Pipe - Greddy SP2 Cat-back - Progress Sport - KYB - Viper 791XV alarm - 5000k HID headlights and fogs - T-Rex billet grill - IPCW LED tails - 20% tint on sides, 5% tint back window - Suede headliner
Ascendantmax is offline   Send a private message to Ascendantmax Find more posts by Ascendantmax Add Ascendantmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
Premier Member

Official Member #: 76

Reputation Level: 17
jsmithsole is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Guinness Record Holder  

/ Point Value: 15

Banner of The Month  

/ Point Value: 10

Subscribed...I'd like to see the outcome and want to learn more! Not sure which projectors my new Titan headlights have but I was surprised with how good they are, the width could be a bit better but the distance and cutoff are great!

Posted Via Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2011, 11:48 PM   Thread Starter #6
Official Member

Dang, when did you get rid of your max and got the truck? I really should frequent this forum more lol. I'm just so used to going over on the big org.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
Official Member

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Hmm, the output is fairly similar to the stock unit. I was hoping the beam would be similar to the FX-R or the like. The width does look brighter though. Were there other projectors that you were considering before you bought the evox-r?

Looking forward on your updates with pics! Thanks man.
Yeah, I was expecting a more dramatic change in output. I knew it wouldn't be FX-R performance, but I was still expecting more. I was considering the FX-R, but the lens is 2.5" compared to the Hella's 3" and I would have to mount it in front of our projector mount as opposed to behind as it is now. I was also considering the TL since it also has a 3" lens, but the TL is much larger in size and would require quite a bit of modifying, especially to fit the solenoid which sticks out of the bottom of the projector. What sold me on the Evo's is that it is directly swappable, but that seems to be the only major benefit. One thing I do like is the cutoff step, which is much smaller than the E55.

Originally Posted by jsmithsole View Post
Subscribed...I'd like to see the outcome and want to learn more! Not sure which projectors my new Titan headlights have but I was surprised with how good they are, the width could be a bit better but the distance and cutoff are great!
I'm not sure either, and I don't recall seeing the output of any Titans at night. One guy on HIDplanet, actually this months retro of the month winner, put LS430's in his Tundra, I'm sure the Titan's could fit the same. The LS430's are pretty high up there in the projector world.

Dang, when did you get rid of your max and got the truck? I really should frequent this forum more lol. I'm just so used to going over on the big org.
LOL, someone else here (associated with Pandas) took over the max a while ago.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:39 PM   Thread Starter #8
Official Member

Originally Posted by joecurr View Post
Yeah, I was expecting a more dramatic change in output. I knew it wouldn't be FX-R performance, but I was still expecting more. I was considering the FX-R, but the lens is 2.5" compared to the Hella's 3" and I would have to mount it in front of our projector mount as opposed to behind as it is now. I was also considering the TL since it also has a 3" lens, but the TL is much larger in size and would require quite a bit of modifying, especially to fit the solenoid which sticks out of the bottom of the projector. What sold me on the Evo's is that it is directly swappable, but that seems to be the only major benefit. One thing I do like is the cutoff step, which is much smaller than the E55.
So do you think it's worth getting the evo's? It seems like anything will be better than the stockers lol. Plus I wonder if anything will fit in the fog projectors. Have you considered upgrading those as well?

Old 12-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #9

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 10

I heard somewhere the Honda S200 projectors are pretty good

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
Official Member

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

So do you think it's worth getting the evo's? It seems like anything will be better than the stockers lol. Plus I wonder if anything will fit in the fog projectors. Have you considered upgrading those as well?
I forgot, do you have OEM halogens or HID's? From the sounds of it, you have an HID kit in OEM halogens. In that case, you have a choice of D2S E55's and Evo's. I honestly can't tell you at this moment which one to get. I need to buy new bulbs before I can really make a decision because I can tell my current bulbs have a LOT of hours on them judging by the color and brightness. The OEM bulbs are 4300K, but according to my camera are closer to 4800K, which means they have color shifted and lost lumens. I need new bulbs to really see how either perform.

And no, I have never considered putting an HID kit in my fogs because there are some things better off halogen. There is nothing wrong with halogen, it just doesn't have that "wow factor" (I watch too much Storage Wars). You shouldn't have to use your fogs THAT often, and if you do you either live somewhere where it's constantly foggy or your low beams don't perform very well. I am guilty of the latter when I had an HID kit in halogens, but using fog lights unnecessarily actually messes up your vision because it makes your foreground light brighter which is bad for distant vision.

Originally Posted by Hmax View Post
I heard somewhere the Honda S200 projectors are pretty good
Yes they are good, but they are not bi-xenon. Projectors that aren't bi-xenon can be engineered to project more light under the cutoff because they don't need light for anything else, whereas bi-xenons still need to project light above the cutoff for the high beam.