Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:06 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 523

Reputation Level: 10
kk8909 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default e55 Projector 55w HID

I just installed e55 projector and I was wondering if i can put 55w ballast
e55 projector bowl is smaller than halogen bowl so I'm worried to burn my bowl.
Anyone running 55w ballast with e55 projector? if so please let me know. THanks
Old 02-04-2012, 02:34 AM   #2
Official my6thgen.org Weatherman

Official Member #: 47

Reputation Level: 12
packetattack is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
Default Re: e55 Projector 55w HID

It's a cast metal bowl, it won't burn the bowl. Yes, it's more heat but the E55s are much larger than my FX's foglights which I had 50w HID kits in before (yellow 3000k bulb with yellow lamin-x film - extreme fog/inclement weather use).
Old 02-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 626

Reputation Level: 29
joecurr has a spectacular aura aboutjoecurr has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Originally Posted by packetattack View Post
It's a cast metal bowl, it won't burn the bowl. Yes, it's more heat but the E55s are much larger than my FX's foglights which I had 50w HID kits in before (yellow 3000k bulb with yellow lamin-x film - extreme fog/inclement weather use).
Not all projectors are the same. You can easily find E55 projectors that had OEM 35W D2S bulbs in them all their life and still have burnt reflector bowls. One thing to consider if you'd like to use 50W ballasts is what bulbs you use, OEM or aftermarket. Aftermarket bulbs don't have the quality control that OEM ones do, which can increase the chances of burning the bowls (i.e. heat, UV light, etc.). If you run an OEM 35W D2S bulb on a 50W ballast, you will achieve brighter light but shorten the lifespan of the bulb.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Official my6thgen.org Weatherman

Official Member #: 47

Reputation Level: 12
packetattack is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Originally Posted by joecurr View Post
Not all projectors are the same. You can easily find E55 projectors that had OEM 35W D2S bulbs in them all their life and still have burnt reflector bowls. One thing to consider if you'd like to use 50W ballasts is what bulbs you use, OEM or aftermarket. Aftermarket bulbs don't have the quality control that OEM ones do, which can increase the chances of burning the bowls (i.e. heat, UV light, etc.). If you run an OEM 35W D2S bulb on a 50W ballast, you will achieve brighter light but shorten the lifespan of the bulb.
Agreed and I don't even consider FX fogs to be projectors of any sort. I'd only advocate a quality Matsushita, Morimoto, Denso or Phillips kit in his application but I get the feeling it would come down to an overwatted capsule on a DDM ballast.