Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Interior, Exterior & Lighting

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:22 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2823

Reputation Level: 9
DDub is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Door Lock Cable Sticks

Just a quick question here. I was replacing my Bose speakers this weekend and after I put on the rear left door I noticed a problem. The lock seems to be very very stiff. It takes noticeable pressure to move the lock, and the car cannot lock/unlock the car itself. If I press the lock or unlock button enough it will eventually move it enough each time to lock/unlock it, but that's all the car can do for it. Anyway I took the door off and it turns out the cable itself seems to be very stiff and takes much more pressure to move. Are the lock cables easily bendable/breakable? Do you all think that the cable is the problem, and if so, where can I get one to replace it?
DDub is offline   Send a private message to DDub Find more posts by DDub Add DDub to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

Reputation Level: 58
officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Door Lock Cable Sticks

If it worked fine before, I'd say check to make sure you didn't do anything to the cable during the speaker install. Maybe it's pinched or kinked somewhere.
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2012, 03:49 PM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

I'm not 100% positive it was fine before, I never really use that door.. But I did inspect it, it all seemed fine, it was straight and not noticeably bent. I greased up the door lock itself and it wasn't that.
DDub is offline   Send a private message to DDub Find more posts by DDub Add DDub to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Official Ride  

Your door lock actuator and cable are one piece. It sounds like you have a bad actuator. If the cable is not crimped/pinched anywhere, I'd say it's the actuator. Unhook the cable from the door lock and make sure the lock moves freely too, but I'm leaning towards the actuator

Last edited by 1hawaii50; 01-02-2012 at 06:47 PM.
1hawaii50 is offline   Send a private message to 1hawaii50 Find more posts by 1hawaii50 Add 1hawaii50 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2012, 10:17 PM   Thread Starter #5
Official Member

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
Your door lock actuator and cable are one piece. It sounds like you have a bad actuator. If the cable is not crimped/pinched anywhere, I'd say it's the actuator. Unhook the cable from the door lock and make sure the lock moves freely too, but I'm leaning towards the actuator
I already did that, the lock moves fine, it's easy to move it. with the cable unhooked I can tell it is hard to move the cable itself. Is the actuator attached to the car door itself?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by DDub View Post
I already did that, the lock moves fine, it's easy to move it. with the cable unhooked I can tell it is hard to move the cable itself. Is the actuator attached to the car door itself?
Yes, you have to pull the door panel to get to it. Just follow the cable into the door...the other end of the cable is attached to theactuator mechanism. I've never had to pull mine, but it should just be a couple of bolts and an electrical connector.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:38 PM   Thread Starter #7
Official Member

Yes, you have to pull the door panel to get to it. Just follow the cable into the door...the other end of the cable is attached to theactuator mechanism. I've never had to pull mine, but it should just be a couple of bolts and an electrical connector.
Would a bad actuator make the actual cable hard to move..? I feel like it would just not move or not unlock the door, not just get very tough?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Would a bad actuator make the actual cable hard to move..? I feel like it would just not move or not unlock the door, not just get very tough?
Yes, it can freeze up. It is a pretty simple setup. As I said earlier, the cable and actuator are all one unit...you cannot replace them separately. If the cable or actuator are sticking, then you have to replace the whole unit.

825 Rear Door Lock & Handle :: Body(Side & Rear) :: Genuine Nissan Parts :: Maxima Parts (A34) 2004-2008 :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

You can get the part for less than $100...should be a straightforward fix.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:11 PM   Thread Starter #9
Official Member

Yes, it can freeze up. It is a pretty simple setup. As I said earlier, the cable and actuator are all one unit...you cannot replace them separately. If the cable or actuator are sticking, then you have to replace the whole unit.

825 Rear Door Lock & Handle :: Body(Side & Rear) :: Genuine Nissan Parts :: Maxima Parts (A34) 2004-2008 :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

You can get the part for less than $100...should be a straightforward fix.
Awesome, I'll take it apart and check one more time before I buy the part. I'll probably check a few junk yards first, $90 seems a little bit ridiculous for such a tiny motor... If anyone has any connections let me know!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Awesome, I'll take it apart and check one more time before I buy the part. I'll probably check a few junk yards first, $90 seems a little bit ridiculous for such a tiny motor... If anyone has any connections let me know!
Door lock actuators are not cheap on any car. I had 3 actuators go bad on my Taurus when I had it...about $150 EACH!!!

I would not put a used actuator in...they go bad...put a new one in and be done with it...just my opinion. You won't get any kind of warranty on a used actuator.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:52 PM   Thread Starter #11
Official Member

Door lock actuators are not cheap on any car. I had 3 actuators go bad on my Taurus when I had it...about $150 EACH!!!

I would not put a used actuator in...they go bad...put a new one in and be done with it...just my opinion. You won't get any kind of warranty on a used actuator.
you know what, that's good advice, no sense saving 20 bucks on something that's just more likely to go bad sooner! I appreciate it, new actuator it is.