Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Wheels & Tires

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:26 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2527

Reputation Level: 12
08maxinaz is on a distinguished road

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Visit 08maxinaz's PS3 Profile Visit 08maxinaz's Twitter Visit 08maxinaz's Xbox Gamercard
Default Shuddering After New Tires Installed

Hello, I recently had to get 2 new tires because the sidewalls on my fronts were cracked to the nylon. Anyway long story short emergency trip to Discount to get two new tires and they put my new tires on the rear and the old tires on the front. Since then I've had a little shuddering and straining sound when maneuvering in parking lots. When Discount Tire handed the car back to me they said that the old tires were slightly cupped. Would this cause the vibration, or could I potentially have something happening with say the power steering. I never noticed it until after the tires were swapped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
08maxinaz is offline   Send a private message to 08maxinaz Find more posts by 08maxinaz Add 08maxinaz to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 74
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Shuddering After New Tires Installed

Make them re balance your tires. Tell them the car did not have any vibration or shuddering before they installed the two new tires.
Be firm but nice.
See what happens.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2012, 07:55 PM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

Visit 08maxinaz's PS3 Profile Visit 08maxinaz's Twitter Visit 08maxinaz's Xbox Gamercard

I will definitely do that thanks. Wouldn't the balance issue raise it's head on the freeway as well?
08maxinaz is offline   Send a private message to 08maxinaz Find more posts by 08maxinaz Add 08maxinaz to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Executive Member

Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by 08maxinaz View Post
I will definitely do that thanks. Wouldn't the balance issue raise it's head on the freeway as well?
Yes.
Can you be more specific with the exact problem you are having maneuvering in "Parking Lots" other than a shuddering and a straining sound?
Do you experience this at low speeds or highway speeds?

You did not say what brand of tires you have.

I don't know what they mean by "Cupping" other than excessive wear or possibly a defective tire. Low quality tires are more susceptible to negative issues leaving the buyer with an undesirable ride and overall dissatisfaction.

Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2012, 08:39 PM   Thread Starter #5
Official Member

Well they're Fierce tires. They came with the car when I bought it about 12000 miles ago. I want to say they're like a Goodyear offshoot. Anyway it's only at low speeds that I notice it. When I get closer to full lock it gets worse and it feels almost like the tires are rubbing, however I have stock wheels and stock tire size so I don't see why they would be.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
Executive Member

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

I am assuming this problem has come on since you purchased the two new tires and rotated the old ones from the rear to the front.

Go back to Discount Tires, as I said.

Have them check the balance. Explain the issue. If balancing does not resolve the issue, try putting the new tires on the front and put the old tires back where they were on the the rear.

I know this is a pain in the ass, but you ultimately want a good ride.

You may need too purchase two more tires? Let's hope it is nothing more than that.

Let us know what happens.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:25 PM   Thread Starter #7
Official Member

Well the plan is to get wheels and tires by the end of the year so I'm just looking to make them last until then.

I will definitely take it to Discount on Saturday and have them fix it.

As an aside I would not recommend the Falken Ziex ZE-512's horrible drone on the highway.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

If you end up with only 2 new tires, then you want the newest tires on the rear of the car.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

What's the basis for this Don? I Have to say I disagree.

Via Tapatalk
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2012, 07:36 PM   Thread Starter #10
Official Member

I wondered this as well. As our cars are FWD wouldn't you want the tires doing the most work with the best grip?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
Official Member

Official Member #: 556

Reputation Level: 10
Cheeto is an unknown quantity at this point

This isn't anything new here. Go into any tire shop and they will recommend putting the new tires on the rear. Over steer is far more difficult to overcome than understeer. And as far as the shutter you are experiencing, the tire tech was exactly right, cupped or tires with high spots will cause more noise and vibration especially when the rear tires are used to being driven and worn in with a slightly different camber than the front.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:49 PM   Thread Starter #12
Official Member

Well I'm going in on Saturday to have them redo the balancing and see if that helps out. If not I'm going to have to save up and do the wheels and tires next. Oh well... I was hoping for a drop first but I have to do what I have to do.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:22 PM   Thread Starter #13
Official Member

I wasn't a balance issue after all. The inside tread blocks were so worn, it was visible from about 15 feet away. I believe they were cupped because the tread blocks were alternating in height by almost a half an inch on some of them. I wish I didn't forget my phone or else I would have taken a picture. Anyway $400 dollars later I have two more new tires and all of the issues are gone.

As an aside both of my TPMS sensors were fused to the valve stem and could not be removed without force. Needless to say I am minus 2 TMPS sensors until I get my new wheels and tires in a few months. Is there anything I should worry about besides a light once the car realizes they're gone?