Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Wheels & Tires

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:38 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 7376

Reputation Level: 7
mackzima is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Replacing Hub Assemblies?

Hi Guys,

I'm getting a noise in my rear wheel area. It's a "wub wub wub" sound that increases in frequency as I'm accelerating. It also increasing in intensity under load. (Very loud when making left hand corner, making me think it's rear passenger side bearing).

From all the research I've done, it points to a bad wheel bearing. I've ordered 2 rear hub assemblies and I'll do both sides while I'm at it.

Here's the product I ordered. Should these take care of the noise? Any other parts needed?

2 Rear HUB Assembly Pair FOR Nissan Maxima 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 | eBay
mackzima is offline   Send a private message to mackzima Find more posts by mackzima Add mackzima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 6390

Mike2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Replacing Hub Assemblies?

Originally Posted by mackzima View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm getting a noise in my rear wheel area. It's a "wub wub wub" sound that increases in frequency as I'm accelerating. It also increasing in intensity under load. (Very loud when making left hand corner, making me think it's rear passenger side bearing).

From all the research I've done, it points to a bad wheel bearing. I've ordered 2 rear hub assemblies and I'll do both sides while I'm at it.

Here's the product I ordered. Should these take care of the noise? Any other parts needed?

2 Rear HUB Assembly Pair FOR Nissan Maxima 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 | eBay
That should do it. Sometimes they come right off and other times they need a swift smack with a hammer. Wheel bearings are one of those things you don't want to skimp on. You don't need the most expensive but you don't want the cheapest set out there. Otherwise you'll be changing them again in 6 months. Just research the brand and read customer reviews. Timken is a popular brand many people swear by.

This would also be a good time to replace your lug nuts. There's just something sacrilegious about putting old lug nuts on new studs.
Read more: http://my6thgen.org/f32/replacing-hu...#ixzz2UtoWHTJf
Mike2005 is offline   Send a private message to Mike2005 Find more posts by Mike2005 Add Mike2005 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #3

Official Member #: 7305

Reputation Level: 0
robmminc is an unknown quantity at this point

ive heard this on my car very few times and never figured out what it was,,, please update to see if it fixes the problem
robmminc is offline   Send a private message to robmminc Find more posts by robmminc Add robmminc to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #4

Official Member #: 6770

Doola36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robmminc View Post
ive heard this on my car very few times and never figured out what it was,,, please update to see if it fixes the problem
When I heard that sound on my Max I replaced the rear hubs and the sound went away. Im in the process of changing out my front hubs and bearings because Im hearing that same noise coming from up front now.
Doola36 is offline   Send a private message to Doola36 Find more posts by Doola36 Add Doola36 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

The only way to figure out if its wheel bearing or tires is to change to stock wheels with more meaty tires. If sound changes, then it's your bearings. If stays the same, then it's bearing. The rear comes as a whole assy that you'll replace. Just a simple straight replacement, no pressing needed like the front.

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 PM   Thread Starter #6

Good call Mike2005! I was thinking to getting some black anodized lugs anyway. All I needed was an excuse...now it sounds like I HAVE to buy them...

Yes! That's the story I'll go with when my wife sees the Visa statement
mackzima is offline   Send a private message to mackzima Find more posts by mackzima Add mackzima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #7

Official Member #: 6710

Zac851 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mike2005 View Post
Wheel bearings are one of those things you don't want to skimp on. You don't need the most expensive but you don't want the cheapest set out there. Otherwise you'll be changing them again in 6 months. Just research the brand and read customer reviews. Timken is a popular brand many people swear by.
[/url]

Definitely agree with this. My front wheel bearings were bad and the car was so loud, I couldnt even talk on the phone while driving. I went to autozone and they had duralast bearings for $35 each and timken for $55 each. I wanted to try to save some money. I ended up getting 2 no name bearings on ebay for $25 shipped for BOTH. I got them in, and took the hubs off and brought them over to a friends shop who has a wheel press and he pressed the new bearings in for me and I put it all back together. It was quiet as can be for about 2 months and then it went right back to doing what it had done before. I finally decided to quit being cheap and went to autozone and picked up a set of timkens for $55 each. All is good now and I'm sure I wont have any issues with these.

Unknown to me at the time, after talking to my mechanic friend..I learned that there is a big difference in a cheap no name bearing and good bearing like a timken..
Zac851 is offline   Send a private message to Zac851 Find more posts by Zac851 Add Zac851 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
S.V
Premier Member

Official Member #: 2397

Reputation Level: 10
S.V is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

I believe I have the same problem. I started hearing it a month ago. I always thought it was road noise. How can I check if the hubs are bad?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
Official Member

Official Member #: 6036

Nick Fondz is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit Nick Fondz's Twitter

I know with my bearing when the car was jacked up the wheel would wobble side to side when you pushed on it. That's how the guy at the tire shop told me it was the bearing.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:04 AM   #10
Official Member

Official Member #: 6390

Mike2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah just place the jack it up so the load is off the wheel, grab both top and bottom of the wheel, push back with one hand and pull with the other like your trying to wiggle the wheel off. Should be no wiggle. (I like no wiggle anyway) You can also slowly spin the wheel putting your ear close to the center. If it sounds like some ones dragging a crowbar across the sidewalk then something aint right.
Mike2005 is offline   Send a private message to Mike2005 Find more posts by Mike2005 Add Mike2005 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
S.V
Premier Member

Official Member #: 2397

Reputation Level: 10
S.V is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Originally Posted by Nick Fondz View Post
I know with my bearing when the car was jacked up the wheel would wobble side to side when you pushed on it. That's how the guy at the tire shop told me it was the bearing.
How many miles did you have when you replaced em?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
Official Member

Official Member #: 6036

Nick Fondz is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit Nick Fondz's Twitter

Originally Posted by S.V View Post
How many miles did you have when you replaced em?
Just around 90k. It was only like 2 months ago. I only got the front driver side done though
Old 06-20-2013, 01:56 PM   Thread Starter #13

Hi guys! It's been a while, but here's the wheel hub update!

After 1 attempt to remove it myself (bolts seized on) I had to bring it to my mechanic.

About an hour after I dropped my car off to him he called me. "There's nothing wrong with your wheel hubs, why do you want them changed?", he said. I said "Because the right one is noisy whel the car rolls, particularly on left turns". All the mechanic had done was the standard "shimmy" to see if there's any play. As I already knew, he was right: no play. I told him to replace them anyway, and guess what? Noise gone! Problem solved!

In conclusion, the lift and shimmy test for play is not always a conclusive way to diagnose a wheel bearing problem. There may be more factors involved.

Cheers!
Deadbolt (06-20-2013), GateWay (06-25-2013), Sammaxvq35 (06-21-2013), silly_buttons13 (03-09-2015)