my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum

my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum (http://my6thgen.org/)
-   Wheels & Tires (http://my6thgen.org/f271/)
-   -   Advice Needed: Powdercoating Wheels, Need Advice! (http://my6thgen.org/f271/powdercoating-wheels-need-advice-18604/)

Kenny 07-18-2012 11:51 PM

Powdercoating Wheels, Need Advice!
 
hey guys, so im planning on powdercoating my wheels on my 350z. Theyre currently chrome (yuck) so i want to make them gloss black, i have two questions.

1)If i decide to take my wheels to a shop for them to powdercoat my wheels, how do i leave my car sitting? i have no spare wheels and dont know anyone that has spare wheels to lend me, is it safe to leave the car on a flat surface on jack stands for 2-3 days?

2)If i decide to paint my own wheels, is there a certain way to paint chrome wheels so the paint doesnt chip? i painted my old stock maxima wheels by sanding,primer,paint,clear coat, but they were not chrome, can i use this same technique with chrome rims? if so, what grit sand paper should i use, and what type of paint should i use?

thanks for any help in advance!

officerfrasher 07-18-2012 11:57 PM

1. Yes
2. Don't know

Kenny 07-18-2012 11:59 PM

Re: Powdercoating Wheels, Need Advice!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by officerfrasher (Post 336771)
1. Yes
2. Don't know

so its completely safe to leave the car on jackstands correct? just making sure, dont want to come find my car on the floor lol

officerfrasher 07-19-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaygmaxima (Post 336772)
so its completely safe to leave the car on jackstands correct? just making sure, dont want to come find my car on the floor lol

Yup. I had mine on stands for 3-4 weeks while I did multiple things to it. No issues.

Kenny 07-19-2012 12:02 AM

Re: Powdercoating Wheels, Need Advice!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by officerfrasher (Post 336775)
Yup. I had mine on stands for 3-4 weeks while I did multiple things to it. No issues.

awesome!!! thanks alot :shakeshout:

dstruc 07-19-2012 12:33 AM

Re: Powdercoating Wheels, Need Advice!
 
as for question 2. you can use adhesion promotor instead of the primer. no sanding. i used this when i painted my chrome 20s.

Kenny 07-19-2012 12:51 AM

Re: Powdercoating Wheels, Need Advice!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dstruc (Post 336791)
as for question 2. you can use adhesion promotor instead of the primer. no sanding. i used this when i painted my chrome 20s.

can you give me a link of what it looks like? did the paint chip at all?

dstruc 07-19-2012 01:08 AM

Re: Powdercoating Wheels, Need Advice!
 
Dupli-Color/11 oz. clear aerosol adhesion promoter primer (CP199) | Primer | AutoZone.com

paint didnt chip at all. i used that to paint my wilwoods too.

Kenny 07-19-2012 01:21 AM

Re: Powdercoating Wheels, Need Advice!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dstruc (Post 336806)
Dupli-Color/11 oz. clear aerosol adhesion promoter primer (CP199) | Primer | AutoZone.com

paint didnt chip at all. i used that to paint my wilwoods too.

so all i i do is spray that promoter on the wheels, paint the wheels with black paint and clear coat, and thats it?:eek:

dstruc 07-19-2012 01:23 AM

Re: Powdercoating Wheels, Need Advice!
 
Yup that's it. The promotor acts like a glue for the paint.

Kenny 07-19-2012 02:08 AM

Re: Powdercoating Wheels, Need Advice!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dstruc (Post 336809)
Yup that's it. The promotor acts like a glue for the paint.

wow thats freaking awesome!!!!!!!!!!! thanks alot dude!!!!!:shakeshout:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO