Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Wheels & Tires

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:57 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 18029

Reputation Level: 0
BCMaxima is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Possible bearing issue. Noisy but not loose.

I'm chasing down an oscillating drone/growling which sounds exactly like wheel bearing but in the air, all 4 wheels are tight and don't make bearing noise, just some normal pad/disk noise, when spun. The front right wheel was quite a bit warmer than the left after highway driving so I was going to change the front right bearing anyway.

I ended up getting rid of part of the noise as I was half way taking the spindle off and noticed the dust shield shiny in one spot from being rubbed by the disk so bent that straight and put things back together having just done the rotor and pads.

The noise is reduced but I think the remaining noise is still a bearing so I'll just wait a bit and see if it develops. If that wheel is still getting hot I'll change the bearing and hub.

Question is, has anyone had a bearing go bad but not get loose?
BCMaxima is offline   Send a private message to BCMaxima Find more posts by BCMaxima Add BCMaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #2
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Possible bearing issue. Noisy but not loose.

Sometimes , just a brake clean should do the trick unless pads &/or rotors are done.
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 15981

Reputation Level: 5
Travieso is an unknown quantity at this point

it's possible for the bearing to get hot and it would cause premature wear, eventually it will cause play. one of my driver side front seems to start going (hard cornering on ramps) but it has little noise and tiny play right now. Does seem odd that your doesn't have it yet. Could be poor quality bearing if it's aftermarket.
Travieso is offline   Send a private message to Travieso Find more posts by Travieso Add Travieso to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #4

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube

It's that time for me to change my rear wheel hub assemblies.. I'm going with the Timken brand which I have used before and very reliable. I'm getting a squealing noise from the rear hub area. I changed my rear wheel hub bearings about 3 or 4 years ago. However, I do live in NYC which is a heavily salted state in the winter.. So I put my order in with RockAuto.com and they are on the way...

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2016, 04:26 PM   Thread Starter #5

Well, I changed the bearing and the noise didn't really change. I then found another spot on the dust shield rubbing and that got rid of some more noise but still not cured. I'm now thinking it might be the carrier bearing but will see if it gets louder as time goes on. Also getting new tires soon so we'll see if that changes things.

Last edited by BCMaxima; 09-30-2016 at 02:08 PM.
BCMaxima is offline   Send a private message to BCMaxima Find more posts by BCMaxima Add BCMaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2016, 02:06 PM   Thread Starter #6

Update: I got the new tires on yesterday and the noise is gone. I still can't believe how loud those tires were. I have identified and changed two wheel bearings and a cracked rotor on my previous Maxima (all separate occasions) and I was sure the bearing was the issue on this one.

Live and learn.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:58 AM   #7
Reputable Member

Official Member #: 6257

Reputation Level: 11
sprocketser is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad that you got it fixed , it s weird what the issues are sometimes.
Newest ride , 05 Smoke Met M/T SER Altima,NismoCAI/CatBack , Dynomax Resonator OBX Headers , RacingLine FSTB& BTD tbi, RedLionRacing Shifter Bushings tbi , EBC RedStuff Pads/ 06 350Z Base Rear Brakes/EBC Rotors , H&R springs & Triple C Camber Bolts tbi , RP MaxATF psf , Motul Brake fluids & clutch fluids , LiquiMoly Motor oil/Wix Filter , Pennzoil Synth Gear Oil , Wix cab filter , Interstate Battery , Michelin Pilot A/S+ ,
sprocketser is offline   Send a private message to sprocketser Find more posts by sprocketser Add sprocketser to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #8

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube

Touche on the fix my friend..

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top