Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Wheels & Tires

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:39 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2630

Reputation Level: 8
Jonwall is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default 16" Steels For Winter Tires?

I've got a question for anyone where who has experience with winter weather. Right now I've got the stock 17s on my max, with all season tread. If i want to put on winter tread I'm looking at around $700-$800, which is way too expensive for me. I do have a friend who said he will buy my stock wheels and tread for $300 however, which would mean i could get 16" steel wheels for winter. The tires for these are only around $120 each, and the wheels are $50 each. MY main question is will i run in to any major issues if i run a 16" wheel? And what size of tire would work best for this?

On a side note will there be any fitment issues with the stock 17"s going on to a 2004 pontiac grand prix?
Jonwall is offline   Send a private message to Jonwall Find more posts by Jonwall Add Jonwall to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #2

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: 16" Steels For Winter Tires?

I am not sure to the answer to your question, but I have heard somewhere that the 16" will not clear the caliper. I may be wrong. I have never seen 16's on a 6th gen either, probalby for a reason.

Look on CL and finds some 17's. I found 4 18"s blizzak's with 500 miles on them for 250. Had to drive like an hour but well worth it.

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2011, 02:54 AM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

Originally Posted by Hmax View Post
I am not sure to the answer to your question, but I have heard somewhere that the 16" will not clear the caliper. I may be wrong. I have never seen 16's on a 6th gen either, probalby for a reason.

Look on CL and finds some 17's. I found 4 18"s blizzak's with 500 miles on them for 250. Had to drive like an hour but well worth it.
Yeah i think you might be right, im not finding anyone on 16s anywhere. I do have someone with fairly new winter tires on 17s at a decent price, they came off of a rav4, tires are 215 65R 17. Offset is 43mm, i honestly have no clue when it comes to wheels but im assuming this should work out fine? bolt pattern matches as well
Jonwall is offline   Send a private message to Jonwall Find more posts by Jonwall Add Jonwall to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #4

My Awards:

Originally Posted by Jonwall View Post
Yeah i think you might be right, im not finding anyone on 16s anywhere. I do have someone with fairly new winter tires on 17s at a decent price, they came off of a rav4, tires are 215 65R 17. Offset is 43mm, i honestly have no clue when it comes to wheels but im assuming this should work out fine? bolt pattern matches as well

DO NOT GET THOSE TIRES, the 65 is tooo high and will rub and the 215 is hella small. Keep looking. Where are you located, give me your zip code and I can do a search

Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Mile High Maxima

Official Member #: 510

Reputation Level: 33
Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Originally Posted by Jonwall View Post
Keep your 17s and get some snow tires, it shouldn't cost you that much. Check Craigs list and Tire Rack, used tire shops. Get the stock size 222/55/17

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2011, 01:19 PM   Thread Starter #6
Official Member

Originally Posted by Hmax View Post
DO NOT GET THOSE TIRES, the 65 is tooo high and will rub and the 215 is hella small. Keep looking. Where are you located, give me your zip code and I can do a search
Yeah thats what i was worried about. And im located in canada, craigslist is pretty much dead where i am, we use kijiji.ca. Im right in between belleville and kingston ontario, so either one will work.

Winter tires on rims - Kingston Tires, Rims For Sale - Kijiji Kingston Canada.

Just found these. Came off of a g35, so they should definately fit, guy will do $425 for them. My main issue is i can sell my stock rims and all season tread for $300, which is whats allowing me to get the winters put on.

Nissan Snow Tire and Rim Package - Napanee Tires, Rims For Sale - Kijiji Napanee Canada.
Theres also this set, guy lives 10 mins away. The rims themselves look miuch better, but he will only go as low as $600 sadly.

Edit: so the person im selling them to has dodge caravan, the hub bore is 71mm, looks like ours are 66mm i think. What kind of adapter would be needed, and how much would it be for all 4 wheels?

Last edited by Jonwall; 11-23-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #7

My Awards:

^^^ They are both fine, I say go with whatever you like.

Our hub is 66.1. On to the second set of wheels for 600, I have seen them on 4th gen maximas, not sure if they come in different hub sizes.

Either way, i believe you will be fine with either, however maybe someone else can chime in on the bigger hub wheels

Old 11-24-2011, 03:39 AM   #8
Mile High Maxima

Official Member #: 510

Reputation Level: 33
Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Maybe you can just get the tires from either one of them?

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #9

Official Member #: 3258

GT MAX is an unknown quantity at this point

Best bet for winter is get snow tires for the stocks! On a side note, our wheels will not fit a GM, most a tiny bit smaller or a tiny bit bigger. They would fit only with adapters.
GT MAX is offline   Send a private message to GT MAX Find more posts by GT MAX Add GT MAX to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2011, 12:25 PM   Thread Starter #10
Official Member

Originally Posted by GT MAX View Post
Best bet for winter is get snow tires for the stocks! On a side note, our wheels will not fit a GM, most a tiny bit smaller or a tiny bit bigger. They would fit only with adapters.
How much would the adapters usually run?

Also the main reason I can afford these wheels is because I'm selling the stocks. I have a set of g35s in my garage as summer wheels and tires.