Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Audio, Video & Electronics

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:26 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1116

Reputation Level: 9
Canoman is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
Visit Canoman's Twitter
Default System Wiring & Other Questions

I'm going to install a pair of DLS OA8's in the rear deck. I've got two amps, one for the subs, and one old 5-channel for the front/rears. Sub amp is 300W RMS, 5-channel is 35Wx4 + 75Wx1 RMS, obviously won't be using the 5th channel. I'm figuring I'll mount the amps to the rear seats. Can anybody tell me how much power cable I'll need to run from the battery back to the trunk and what the best routing is for that cable?

I'm thinking I'll do this in 2 steps, as I don't have all the parts I want yet and it'll be a slow process to collect everything. Namely, I know I'll need a line-out converter to use the factory head unit. I'm thinking eventually I'll want an AudioControl LC6i, or similar. For now, I'll just go with something smaller and cheaper so I can get the subs installed and running. Then I'll deal with the fronts/rears down the line. Maybe something like this Scosche to tap into the factory sub feeds for the sub amp.

Never installed a 2-amp system before, so I've been reading some online. I'm assuming I'll need a distribution block to split the cable. I'm planning on a 4-gauge power to the distribution block in the trunk and 8-gauge from the distribution block to each amp. That's based on this: Recommended Power and Ground Cable Sizes & Speaker Wire Size and Length

I'm looking at a distribution block that has integrated fuses in it so I won't need an inline fuse. Something like this: 2 Way Distribution System

Any tips on this stuff? Mainly:
  1. Power cable length from battery to trunk
  2. Will the fused distribution block mentioned above work instead of an inline fuse?
  3. Will the cheaper line-out converter work to feed the sub amp?
  4. Any tips on mounting the subs? Bought a sheet of 1/2" MDF to start adapters.
  5. Is there a good source of a wiring diagram that graphically shows exactly how the factory Bose system is connected, including amp location? I know there's one amp under the rear deck, but is that a dedicated sub amp, or does that power all the factory speakers?

Thanks in advance.
Canoman is offline   Send a private message to Canoman Find more posts by Canoman Add Canoman to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 3833

Reputation Level: 14
Wil~Bones will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: System wiring & other questions

check it out. u need an amp kit.
1st..
In your amplifier wiring kit, generally a red in color wire is the longest one(at least 15-20 ft), which is the 12v power wire. You need to pass the wire through the firewall. Start from the battery and pass on to the amplifier. However, do not connect the wire to the amplifier or battery yet. i would run it under the door sills all the way to the back.

ur line out converter will do.. i didnt have to pull out the whole head unit, i hooked somewhere near the rear windshield, saved me lots of time.., if ur going to to replace the speakers ur gunna need a new head unit. just saying..

2004 Nissan Maxima Car Radio Wiring Color Codes

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Violet
Car Radio Ground Wire: Chassis
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Red/White
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Red/Yellow
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Green/White
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: Green/White
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: Full range amplifier is mounted under the rear deck. The subwoofer amp is attached to the subwoofer under the rear deck.
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Red
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/Red
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/White
Wil~Bones is offline   Send a private message to Wil~Bones Find more posts by Wil~Bones Add Wil~Bones to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2012, 01:38 AM   Thread Starter #3

Visit Canoman's Twitter
Default Re: System wiring & other questions

Originally Posted by Wil~Bones View Post
check it out. u need an amp kit.
1st..
In your amplifier wiring kit, generally a red in color wire is the longest one(at least 15-20 ft), which is the 12v power wire. You need to pass the wire through the firewall. Start from the battery and pass on to the amplifier. However, do not connect the wire to the amplifier or battery yet. i would run it under the door sills all the way to the back.

ur line out converter will do.. i didnt have to pull out the whole head unit, i hooked somewhere near the rear windshield, saved me lots of time.., if ur going to to replace the speakers ur gunna need a new head unit. just saying..
Thanks for the input... I've already got most of the stuff in an amp kit. I'm looking at buying a length of power wire from Knukonceptz. Just need to know how much of it to buy. Knukonceptz product detail for KCA KABLE 4 GAUGE ULTRA FLEKS RED CCA POWER / GROUND CABLE

Really, all I'm lacking is the 4-gauge power cable and a distribution block. I've got signal cables, 8-gauge for the block->amp runs, speaker cable, etc etc. Don't want to buy an amp kit for doubles of stuff.
Canoman is offline   Send a private message to Canoman Find more posts by Canoman Add Canoman to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Default Re: System Wiring & Other Questions

I'd run 0 gauge from battery to the distribution block, then 4 GA to each amp. If you're running 2 amps, you do need all the power you can get

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Datboired832 (02-07-2012)
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2012, 02:28 AM   Thread Starter #5

Visit Canoman's Twitter

Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
I'd run 0 gauge from battery to the distribution block, then 4 GA to each amp. If you're running 2 amps, you do need all the power you can get
Makes sense... Think I could get by with 15ft? Is there a good spot to go through the firewall or will I have to drill for a grommet?
Old 01-29-2012, 02:51 AM   #6
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Originally Posted by Canoman View Post
Makes sense... Think I could get by with 15ft? Is there a good spot to go through the firewall or will I have to drill for a grommet?
I'd get at least 18'. You'd rather have more and cut it than to need more and not have it. Don't measure from a direct line from battery to trunk, you have to take into account the bends, twists, routing of the car under the carpeting before you get to the trunk.

You drill a hole where a 6 speed tranny clutch would be. If you look under your driver side dash, you'll see an oval or a circle shape area, to the left of the brake pedal mount. Drill the CENTER of that and put in a grommet. You might want to get some kind of oil or grease on the inside of that grommet for the wire to run through it with ease.

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Latinmaxima (02-06-2012), Wil~Bones (01-29-2012)
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 3833

Reputation Level: 14
Wil~Bones will become famous soon enough

nailed it
Old 02-04-2012, 08:49 PM   Thread Starter #8

Visit Canoman's Twitter

Thanks guys...

I started working on this slowly, and I ran into a snag when trying to take out the factory subs. They put loctite in the threads of the bolts that hold the Bose subs to the brackets and I torqued the head off of one of the bolts on the left side. I tried to drill out the bolt, but I couldn't get it all out. A friend of mine at work has some taps that he's going to let me borrow to try to get it out, but I'm not sure if it'll work.

Do you think I'll need all 4 bolts on each sub? Might have to go to the stealership to get a new bracket. I think they're ~$30-35 each.

Also, should I caulk between the factory bracket and the MDF speaker rings? I've got some black silicone caulk I could use to seal it up.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Thanks guys...

I started working on this slowly, and I ran into a snag when trying to take out the factory subs. They put loctite in the threads of the bolts that hold the Bose subs to the brackets and I torqued the head off of one of the bolts on the left side. I tried to drill out the bolt, but I couldn't get it all out. A friend of mine at work has some taps that he's going to let me borrow to try to get it out, but I'm not sure if it'll work.

Do you think I'll need all 4 bolts on each sub? Might have to go to the stealership to get a new bracket. I think they're ~$30-35 each.

Also, should I caulk between the factory bracket and the MDF speaker rings? I've got some black silicone caulk I could use to seal it up.
I'd be careful with the caulk...don't mount the subs until you are positive that it has cured. I've read before that the fumes from the caulk can damage the speaker cones...
Old 02-05-2012, 04:43 PM   Thread Starter #10

Visit Canoman's Twitter

I'm not sure I'm going to caulk... If it's a bad idea, I won't. That's why I asked. Sounds like it's a bad idea.

How do you connect to the positive battery terminal in the Max?

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

I'm not sure I'm going to caulk... If it's a bad idea, I won't. That's why I asked. Sounds like it's a bad idea.

How do you connect to the positive battery terminal in the Max?

Thanks.
You will need to do some creative wiring. I went with an aftermarket battery terminal to make my connections.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #12

Official Member #: 4187

Reputation Level: 0
Ds06max is an unknown quantity at this point

You still need a fuse underhood within 18inchs or so of the battery. This will protect the wire if it were to short out.
Ds06max is offline   Send a private message to Ds06max Find more posts by Ds06max Add Ds06max to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2012, 08:02 PM   Thread Starter #13

Visit Canoman's Twitter

Ok, so I've got nearly everything I need to do this now, except one thing. My amp kit didn't come with a firewall grommet. I'm running 0-gauge to the distribution block in the back. I'll only need one grommet, but nobody (car stereo shops) around here seems to have them for sale. Guess I'll have to place one more order.

One of the shops I talked to said that when they run cable that big, they run it outside the car and drill a hole in the trunk rather than putting it through the firewall. Anyone ever done this? Not sure how I'd keep it from sagging.

Amp kit came with a fuse holder & fuse, but thanks for the reminder.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Ok, so I've got nearly everything I need to do this now, except one thing. My amp kit didn't come with a firewall grommet. I'm running 0-gauge to the distribution block in the back. I'll only need one grommet, but nobody (car stereo shops) around here seems to have them for sale. Guess I'll have to place one more order.

One of the shops I talked to said that when they run cable that big, they run it outside the car and drill a hole in the trunk rather than putting it through the firewall. Anyone ever done this? Not sure how I'd keep it from sagging.

Amp kit came with a fuse holder & fuse, but thanks for the reminder.
You don't need to buy a grommet. Remove the driver's side front fender liner and look inside the rear of the fender, at the firewall...there is a LARGE factory grommet with a small cable running through it. Poke a hole in that grommet and pull the cable through...

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by 1hawaii50; 02-11-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Latinmaxima (02-12-2012)
1hawaii50 is offline   Send a private message to 1hawaii50 Find more posts by 1hawaii50 Add 1hawaii50 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2012, 11:47 PM   Thread Starter #15

Visit Canoman's Twitter

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
You don't need to buy a grommet. Remove the driver's side front fender liner and look inside the rear of the fender, at the firewall...there is a LARGE factory grommet with a small cable running through it. Poke a hole in that grommet and pull the cable through...
Awesome. Thanks for the pics. That helps a lot!!! Really appreciate all the advice.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #16
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

No problem...good luck!!!
Old 02-19-2012, 03:51 PM   Thread Starter #17

Visit Canoman's Twitter

Originally Posted by Ds06max View Post
You still need a fuse underhood within 18inchs or so of the battery. This will protect the wire if it were to short out.
I've got the fuse holder... Any tips on where to locate it? I'm completely stock under the hood. Looks like it'll be a tight squeeze.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #18
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

I have my fuse holder mounted to the plastic engine cover on the drivers side.

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #19
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Talking Re: System Wiring & Other Questions

I've got the fuse holder... Any tips on where to locate it? I'm completely stock under the hood. Looks like it'll be a tight squeeze.
I made a small "L" bracket with some angle iron that I had and bolted it to the battery tie-down.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:49 PM   Thread Starter #20

Visit Canoman's Twitter

Man... How the heck do you get the plastic trim piece below the rear door that says "MAXIMA" off? It's the piece that holds down the carpet edge. Service manual calls it the rear kicking panel.

Where did you run the wire in the fender? I tried running it just to the inside of the white piece that covers the factory wiring, but that apparently blocks the fender liner from going back on.

Last edited by Canoman; 02-19-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #21
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Do you have an aftermarket intake or the factory one? I have an aftermarket CAI and was able to run the wire up through the same way the CAI goes down into the fender. In your pic there, follow the fender on around to the front of the car and there should be an open area that leads into the engine compartment, near where the battery is. It comes up behind the headlight. If you have the factory air box in there, it may be a little harder to do, buy you still might be able to.

officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 AM   Thread Starter #22

Visit Canoman's Twitter

Originally Posted by officerfrasher View Post
Do you have an aftermarket intake or the factory one? I have an aftermarket CAI and was able to run the wire up through the same way the CAI goes down into the fender. In your pic there, follow the fender on around to the front of the car and there should be an open area that leads into the engine compartment, near where the battery is. It comes up behind the headlight. If you have the factory air box in there, it may be a little harder to do, buy you still might be able to.
I'm completely stock under the hood, so I've got the factory air box. I can get it through behind the headlight without problem - however, I'm not sure where the wire should run between that hole behind the headlight and the grommet. Running it where I did in the pic wouldn't allow me to get the fender liner back on due to the thickness of the wire. Any tips on the routing inside the fender?

Last edited by Canoman; 02-20-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #23
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

I'm completely stock under the hood, so I've got the factory air box. I can get it through behind the headlight without problem - however, I'm not sure where the wire should run between that hole behind the headlight and the grommet. Running it where I did in the pic wouldn't allow me to get the fender liner back on due to the thickness of the wire. Any tips on the routing inside the fender?
Mine's a 4 ga and I just rand it right on around the top of the fender toward the front. I didn't have any problems with the liner. I believe @1hawaii50 used a 0 ga, but he may be offline currently.
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 AM   Thread Starter #24

Visit Canoman's Twitter

Hmmm.... Did you zip-tie it to the factory wires that are up there?

Old 02-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #25
Official Member

Official Member #: 335

Reputation Level: 22
hero782 will become famous soon enoughhero782 will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

Official Ride  

That's where I ran mine thru. It's a tight fit to put the fender guards but it's possible
hero782 is offline   Send a private message to hero782 Find more posts by hero782 Add hero782 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top