Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Audio, Video & Electronics

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:45 AM   Thread Starter #1
Senior Moderator

my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Default Speaker Feedback Through Amp???

I'm having some issues with the audio system in my wife's 07 Altima. A few weeks back, we noticed that the sound was dropping out of the speakers, and then would come back...when the sound would drop, it sounded like the rear speakers were playing, although they were full of static. I disconnected the rear speakers at the speaker terminals, and all was well for 3 days. I was driving the car, and the sound dropped totally from the front speakers, and I could hear muted/static filled music coming from the rear of the car...WTH????

I pulled over and popped the trunk, thinking someone plugged the rear speakers back in....NOPE...the sound was coming out of the amlifier itself. Everything was purchased through Crutchfield (out of warranty now), so I called their tech line and got into an argument with their tech. He's telling me that there is NO way that sound/music can be coming out of the amp itself...While I understand what he is saying, the sound is DEFINITELY coming out of the amp...and it is all distorted.

My wife wants me to put all of her factory stuff back into the car...my question is, if the front speakers are bad, would it cause this? Or is my amp shot?

I have POLK MOMO carbon 6.5 comps up front, POLK MOMO carbon 6x9's in the rear deck, a Pioneer tuner, and a Kicker ZX650.4 amp.

I'm thinking bad amp...any ideas?

About a year ago, I noticed while I was adjusting the gains on the amp, that I would get just a hint of static through the speakers as I turned the gain pot...no other issues until now.

Last edited by 1hawaii50; 11-08-2012 at 11:47 AM.
1hawaii50 is offline   Send a private message to 1hawaii50 Find more posts by 1hawaii50 Add 1hawaii50 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
The Capital's 6th Gen

Official Member #: 1765

officerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura aboutofficerfrasher has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:

Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Default Re: Speaker Feedback Through Amp???

Never heard of this. Do you have another amp you could hook up temporarily to test the issue?
officerfrasher is offline   Send a private message to officerfrasher Find more posts by officerfrasher Add officerfrasher to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Wait, youre getting sound from the amp itself? I dont even see how that would be possible.

Id say the problem would be the amp. If you were getting static when adjusting the gain that could have been a sign of things to come...

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
Miltown's Maxima
Donating Member

Official Member #: 496

Reputation Level: 29
BOOTZ has a spectacular aura aboutBOOTZ has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

You could hook up an ipod with this cable to the rca inputs on the amp Click the image to open in full size. to make sure it's not your audio source.

Then disconnect one speaker at a time to narrow your results.

Sounds like the amp is bad.
BOOTZ is offline   Send a private message to BOOTZ Find more posts by BOOTZ Add BOOTZ to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Official Member

Official Member #: 837

Reputation Level: 9
Southernmax is an unknown quantity at this point

The only way you should be getting sound out of your amp is if it has a speaker built in like a computer some have built in speakers some dont. 100% of the amps ive seen do not come with speakers, most amps are hidden so no need. Its like seeing a ufo except you got a unidentified object playing music (use to install car audio as well as home theaters for some of Atlantas Elite ) this is definitely very weird.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Glendales Official 6th Gen

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 35
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard

Here's a quick test

1. Try to make the noise come back from the amp
2.When you hear the amp making the noise, turn down the gain, if the noise from the amp gets lower as you lower the gain then the noise should be coming from the rca inputs.

Technically the crutchfield tech is right, noise is pretty much impossible to come out from an amp, BUT you can also be right, if there is a power cable or ground cable ANYWHERE near the RCA's it can produce static or screeching coming just from the wires and transferring to the metals inside the amplifier. This can be caused by hitting a bump etc, if you're driving the car on rough surfaces it physically moves everything in your trunk and starts popping things loose, making it possible for the rca's and the power/ground cable to come close to each other. So my suggestion is take the rcas as far apart from the power/ground cable and test it out, hopefully it wasn't being used too long like that or you could've internally damaged the amp. Even the slightest contact or closest point of the RCA being close to the power/ground cable can cause this, wether the rcas were taped together to the power/ground or if it was making a fingernail contact with it at some point in your wiring, it CAN happen, some people tend to get away with it and some people aren't as lucky, Hopefully this helps a little, and if that's not your issue than I wish you the best in fixing that problem.

P.S, that's just a test I like to use when I hear odd noises coming from an amp, so hopefully it helps you out, if it's far out of your issue than sorry

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2012, 04:54 PM   Thread Starter #7
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

OK...UPDATE....and I feel like an idiot...The MOMO 6x9"s in the rear deck have 2 sets of speaker wires going to them....one set for the woofer, and one set for the mids/tweeters on the other side of the magnet. I didn't realize this, and I only unplugged the wires going to the woofers. I'm going to have to guess that the sound was backfeeding through the mids/tweeters on the 6x9"s and not the amp...that makes MUCH more sense...

Anyway, I pulled everything out, but now I have to try and figure out what is bad...the front woofer from the driver's door is pretty corroded...

With everything out of the car, any idea how I can troubleshoot this stuff other than checking the ohm reading on the speaker voice coils?

The woofers on the 6x9"s measure out at 3.2ohm/each...have to measure the others still....
Old 11-08-2012, 05:43 PM   Thread Starter #8
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

OK, just got done taking ohm readings on all of the voice coils. The 6x9"s show 3.0-3.2ohms per coil. The passenger front woofer shows 3.2ohms, the driver's front woofer will not give me a reading...numbers are bouncing all over the place...there's quite a bit of corrosion on the woofer basket, guess the voice coil is fried.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

That makes much more sense. I never heard of an amp actually having sound come from it.

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
Official Member

Easy Test push down on the front of the speaker, if moves free might be ok if it scrubs definitely FRIED and i bet thats the one youre hereing the sound through (muffled sounding)
Old 11-08-2012, 07:49 PM   Thread Starter #11
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by 07maximan View Post
That makes much more sense. I never heard of an amp actually having sound come from it.
I was scratching my head on that one too!! Boy, do I feel like an idiot!!!

Originally Posted by Southernmax View Post
Easy Test push down on the front of the speaker, if moves free might be ok if it scrubs definitely FRIED and i bet thats the one youre hereing the sound through (muffled sounding)
That's the thing...the sound would drop from the front speakers and feed back through the back speakers, and it would be all muffled and static-filled. I had the rear woofers unplugged, and the fronts would still drop out and I would get muffled/static through the back speakers...then it would come back and be fine.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
Official Member

wires touching somewhere

amp is blown (electronic repair shops can test and some repair with original parts if its worth it)

not grounded good

bad headunit (blown rca outputs) Ive seen this before

By Now id be pulling my hair out without music (im bald), Id just rewire the whole setup
(got all kinda amps laying around,i gotta keep at least one good one). Have your amp tested somewhere. local car audio will prob do it for free. (shake your amp) does it rattle have you dropped something in it small screw anything, you got me frustrated dude, weve got to figure this out.

Last edited by Southernmax; 11-08-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Southernmax is offline   Send a private message to Southernmax Find more posts by Southernmax Add Southernmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2012, 12:26 AM   Thread Starter #13
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

wires touching somewhere

amp is blown (electronic repair shops can test and some repair with original parts if its worth it)

not grounded good

bad headunit (blown rca outputs) Ive seen this before

By Now id be pulling my hair out without music (im bald), Id just rewire the whole setup
(got all kinda amps laying around,i gotta keep at least one good one). Have your amp tested somewhere. local car audio will prob do it for free. (shake your amp) does it rattle have you dropped something in it small screw anything, you got me frustrated dude, weve got to figure this out.
OK, I just got done playing around with everything some more...I'm getting 3-3.2ohms on ALL of the speakers now...both front woofers and both rear 6x9's. I pulled the amp apart, and none of the caps are leaking or bulging. I pulled the head unit apart and didn't see any leaking/bulging caps there either. Tomorrow, I'll hook the speakers to my home theater system and see what happens. I checked with my local audio shop, and they said that they don't have the equipment to properly check an amplifier. There is an electronics repair shop near me...I'll stop by there tomorrow and see how much they want to test this amp...
Old 11-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #14
Official Member

Keep me posted.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #15
Executive Member

Official Member #: 684

Reputation Level: 73
Thundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the roughThundershott is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Poor Don,
I have been watching this drama unfold all day as closely as a breaking news story.

I wish I could help. All I can do is suggest this:

Click the image to open in full size.

I just wanted to make you laugh.

Originally quoted by SH@Y86
Every time I think of judge Judy I think of her sitting in a court room with a name plate that reads Thundershott
Thundershott is offline   Send a private message to Thundershott Find more posts by Thundershott Add Thundershott to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 AM   Thread Starter #16
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by Thundershott View Post
Poor Don,
I have been watching this drama unfold all day as closely as a breaking news story.

I wish I could help. All I can do is suggest this:

I just wanted to make you laugh.
Luckily, it was my wife's car, not mine! That being said, I unplug the Pioneer radio, ony to see that for some reason, I cut the speaker wires in the original harness. SOOOOO, out comes the crimping tool and I had to reconnect all 8 speaker wires! It only gets better...I pop the hood to disconnect the battery, only to find that the garbage FUJITA intake that I put on the car has a broken bracket. It isn't bad enough that the bracket broke, but it broke where it was welded to the intake pipe, leaving a nice, large hole in the intake tubing, just behind the air filter....

SOooooo, when I finally got done putting all of her stock stereo equipment back in the car, I then had to pull the factory intake pieces back out of the garage, and put those back on the car as well. Luckily, I saw the need to hang onto the parts!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:08 AM   Thread Starter #17
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

So now my wife is happy that her car stereo is working, and I have the dining room table full of car audio equipment, trying to determine what is bad, and what is working fine....
Old 11-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard

That sucks to hear don hopefully get it all sorted out

Posted Via Tapatalk 2
Old 11-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #19
Official Member

Glad to hear you solved the first issue.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM   Thread Starter #20
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

My best bet for getting the amp looked at refuses to touch it...ElectraSound...they stated that they are NOT an authorized KICKER repair center, so they are not allowed to touch it. I explained that I don't know if it needs repaired...I'd just like to have it tested. They said that they are not allowed to touch it since they are not authorized...

Short of spending another day's time (which I don't have) is there any way for me to test any of this without reinstalling it all in someone's car?

I opened up the head unit and the amp, and I didn't see any leaking or bulging caps, or anything that looked burnt...the only issue I found anywhere was the corrosion on the driver's door woofer...

Old 11-09-2012, 10:39 PM   Thread Starter #21
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

OK, just got done hooking up both sets of front comps to my home theater system. I've got both crossovers, both mids, and both tweeters hooked up and playing. They are all playing BEAUTIFULLY!!! I figured the woofer with the corrosion on the basket would give me trouble...I've had them playing for over 30 minutes now, and they sound perfect...

I'm going to let them play a little longer, then I'm going to hook up the 6x9s and see what happens...
Old 11-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #22
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard

Sounds like it is coming down to the amp. That sucks.

Posted Via Tapatalk 2
Old 11-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #23
Official Member

My Bad i thought earlier you said everything was working fine.

"So now my wife is happy that her car stereo is working"

If all the speakers work fine no static, weird noises at all. It is probably the amp. What i would do is create a setup in the trunk hook all the speakers up where i could see them and the wires actually going to them . So youll know every thing is hooked up correctly.

Of course if you have Subs you would definitely want to do them too. Dont turn it up until the music blares. Just turn it up so you get a decent sound. ( cut bass down low )

waist of speaker wire but at least youll know where the problem is. Use a chord like BOOTZ posted above on the RCA input of your Amp that way you want have to run back and forth to turn the volume up and down you can control it from your source (MP3, ipod , android etc...)

Question for ya

1 who did the initial install

2 was the car rewired

3 if not did you have bose

I never use the factory wires for anything aftermarket other than powering the Headunit (if THEN), and always use the maximum gauge speaker wire to get the most power available from Amp

Last edited by Southernmax; 11-10-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Southernmax is offline   Send a private message to Southernmax Find more posts by Southernmax Add Southernmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2012, 07:38 AM   Thread Starter #24
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

My Bad i thought earlier you said everything was working fine.

"So now my wife is happy that her car stereo is working"

If all the speakers work fine no static, weird noises at all. It is probably the amp. What i would do is create a setup in the trunk hook all the speakers up where i could see them and the wires actually going to them . So youll know every thing is hooked up correctly.

Of course if you have Subs you would definitely want to do them too. Dont turn it up until the music blares. Just turn it up so you get a decent sound. ( cut bass down low )

waist of speaker wire but at least youll know where the problem is. Use a chord like BOOTZ posted above on the RCA input of your Amp that way you want have to run back and forth to turn the volume up and down you can control it from your source (MP3, ipod , android etc...)

Question for ya

1 who did the initial install

2 was the car rewired

3 if not did you have bose

I never use the factory wires for anything aftermarket other than powering the Headunit (if THEN), and always use the maximum gauge speaker wire to get the most power available from Amp
Her car is an 07 Altima with the base radio...no BOSE. I pulled ALL of the equipment shortly after we bought it in 07. I replaced EVERYTHING...head unit, all 4 door speakers, and amp in the trunk...along with new speaker wires. Everything had been working fine for the past 5 years until the last 2 months or so. That's when she noticed that the sound would drop from the front speakers and the back speakers would be very muffled. This issue would come and go...totally random. Sometimes it would be fine for days, then it would act up for days. Sound would shift to the back speakers, then move back and all would be well....

I saved all of her OEM equipment...I pulled ALL of the aftermarket stuff out and put her OEM equipment back in...now she is happy that she has her music working again.

So NOW I have all of this audio equipment sitting here, and I have NO idea what the original problem is.

I played the front comps off of my home theater system for over an hour and they played fine. I played the rear 6x9's last night off of my home theater system, and they played fine.

I've spoken with people at 2 different audio shops, and they both say either the head unit, or wiring. They said the amp only amplifies the signal it gets...either it works, or it doesn't.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
Official Member

Headunit is a possibility, Id have to personally get in there and check everything out to be able to pinpoint the problem. Other than that, from the results youve gotten so far Im clueless.