Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Audio, Video & Electronics

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:53 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 217

Reputation Level: 11
gaby617 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default NIRD-01 Pro's & Con's

Whats up guys? I have searched for a possible go to thread when it comes to the infamous NIRD-01 module for the 6.5's. I remember reading a few good threads on 6thgenmaxima but they no longer exist. Hopefully this can be a resource thread members can refer to when having questions about the NIRD-01. I know there's a good amount of members on here using it including myself that may or may not have problems w/ it. Any member utilizing this module please drop some helpful info.... I'll describe my experience.

Installled the Nird-01 to run w/ my kenwood dnx7100 and I can honestly say im not impressed. to begin w/ my keypad and holster where to big to fit in my lower cubby so the shop trimmed it to snug right in. I notice info screen is dimmer than everything else but the key pad is stupid bright. The only button that works on the keypad is my trip info and even thats no use because none of my info has changed since its install except for my DTE which is reading mid 400's when its usually low 200's @ fill up... Im a all city driver. I wouldnt mind if I knew I was really getting that in the city. Im not able to customize my screen cause 3 out of the 4 buttons dont work. it took me a whole day to get the time right. I remember reading about a certain order for harness installation and fixing the dimmer/illumination problem. Im sure im not the only one experiencing problems so lets all help each other.
gaby617 is offline   Send a private message to gaby617 Find more posts by gaby617 Add gaby617 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 60
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Default Re: NIRD-01 Pro's & Con's

Originally Posted by gaby617 View Post
Whats up guys? I have searched for a possible go to thread when it comes to the infamous NIRD-01 module for the 6.5's. I remember reading a few good threads on 6thgenmaxima but they no longer exist. Hopefully this can be a resource thread members can refer to when having questions about the NIRD-01. I know there's a good amount of members on here using it including myself that may or may not have problems w/ it. Any member utilizing this module please drop some helpful info.... I'll describe my experience.

Installled the Nird-01 to run w/ my kenwood dnx7100 and I can honestly say im not impressed. to begin w/ my keypad and holster where to big to fit in my lower cubby so the shop trimmed it to snug right in. I notice info screen is dimmer than everything else but the key pad is stupid bright. The only button that works on the keypad is my trip info and even thats no use because none of my info has changed since its install except for my DTE which is reading mid 400's when its usually low 200's @ fill up... Im a all city driver. I wouldnt mind if I knew I was really getting that in the city. Im not able to customize my screen cause 3 out of the 4 buttons dont work. it took me a whole day to get the time right. I remember reading about a certain order for harness installation and fixing the dimmer/illumination problem. Im sure im not the only one experiencing problems so lets all help each other.
I don't think there is a fix for the dimmer issue. As far as the buttons not working...remove the keypad and take apart the pad. On the circuit board where the cable plugs into the board, there is a plug on the end of the keypad wire and it plugs into the board. What probably happened is that one or more of the wire came out of the plug. I RMA'd my first one for this very issue, the replacement one did the same thing. I called Metra's tech line, and they informed me of the wire issue. It's extremely poor quality control, but it is what it is. Overall, I'm OK with mine...I'd rather have it than have a blank info screen. Every now and then, my screen will scramble, and I'll have to turn the car off and back on to get it to correct itself. Other than that, no issues.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #3

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 34
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

What Don said above, the only issue i would say i have is what i call the crazy character effect, when everythig goes crazy, but u jut turn off the car and back to normal. So not really too upset about it, thats about it, works great for me.

PS worked great after don walked me throught it and a missing plug, lol
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Premier Member

Official Member #: 84

Reputation Level: 21
Maxifun is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Official Ride  

Banner of The Month  

V.I.P Member  

This makes me leery about my eventual stock stereo system replacement.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

My one screen is just a tad dimmer than the other. I don't even notice it anymore. As far as the goofy characters, it seems the only time my screen goes nuts is when I'm shifting from drive to reverse. Whenever it does happen it has almost always been as I'm shifting into reverse to back into my driveway. If anybody is on the fence on getting one, another member here posted that he had a hard time finding them. He said he called Metra and was told that they are no longer making them. If you are thinking about it, you may want to grab one while you can.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:02 AM   #6

My Awards:

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
My one screen is just a tad dimmer than the other. I don't even notice it anymore. As far as the goofy characters, it seems the only time my screen goes nuts is when I'm shifting from drive to reverse. Whenever it does happen it has almost always been as I'm shifting into reverse to back into my driveway. If anybody is on the fence on getting one, another member here posted that he had a hard time finding them. He said he called Metra and was told that they are no longer making them. If you are thinking about it, you may want to grab one while you can.

Deninitely agree on gettin one while they are available, don my crazy screen happens so infrequently i cant even tell what causes it. it just happens. i do think its worth it tho for anyone who dosent want a blank screen
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by Hmax View Post
Deninitely agree on gettin one while they are available, don my crazy screen happens so infrequently i cant even tell what causes it. it just happens. i do think its worth it tho for anyone who dosent want a blank screen
I didn't mean to imply that the goofy screen happens alot...it doesn't. It just seems that whenever it does happen, it's when I'm backing into my driveway. I don't recall it ever fouling up any other time. I don't know if there's any correlation there, or not.

Overall, for the price, I'm NOT impressed with the quality control. I should not have had to take apart the keypad to replace wires into plugs. That being said, I'm glad that I bought it so that I could keep my info screen. Hindsight being 20/20, I WOULD buy it again.

So again, anybody that is on the fence on this...get one while you can. Worse case, if you buy it and change your mind, you can always sell it since they seem to be getting scarce.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
Queen's Official 6.5 Gen
Donating Member

Official Member #: 40

Reputation Level: 33
I3LAZEN will become famous soon enoughI3LAZEN will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Honorable Ride  

Yea i think ima get it since i plan on getting a indash soon.. I gotta find out if the shop that ima get the indash from will purchase it for me or if i need to buy it my self lol
I3LAZEN is offline   Send a private message to I3LAZEN Find more posts by I3LAZEN Add I3LAZEN to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
Banned

Official Member #: 328

My Awards:

Any updates Gaby?
maximus is banned   Send a private message to maximus Find more posts by maximus Add maximus to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2010, 09:10 AM   Thread Starter #10
Official Member

my fault fellas! so a rule of thumb is thoroughly read instructions prior to messing w/ electronics... didn't realize in order to change settings you had to hold certain buttons down for 3 seconds. As for the dimming issue its not even abig deal anymore. heres a pic that kinda shows the difference....

Click the image to open in full size.

everything is working fine and I haven't had the crazy character issue. I still have a wierd DTE amount that i never had when i was running the stock radio. @ fillup im seeing 300+ and theres no way im getting that on city driving.... it'll show 80-100 maybe more when my gas light comes on! hmmm... I just have the display showing my screen name and havent changed it.
gaby617 is offline   Send a private message to gaby617 Find more posts by gaby617 Add gaby617 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #11
Queen's Official 6.5 Gen
Donating Member

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Honorable Ride  

Have you tried resetting the DTE?
I3LAZEN is offline   Send a private message to I3LAZEN Find more posts by I3LAZEN Add I3LAZEN to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2010, 09:48 AM   Thread Starter #12
Official Member

is there a specific method. When I had the stock @ fillup I would just cycle the trip info... W/ the nird 1 I do the same but its just weird to me the numbers are so off then regular w/ no change in driving habits.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #13
Queen's Official 6.5 Gen
Donating Member

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Honorable Ride  

is there a specific method. When I had the stock @ fillup I would just cycle the trip info... W/ the nird 1 I do the same but its just weird to me the numbers are so off then regular w/ no change in driving habits.
Yep.. when you cycle through to get to the DTE.. when you reach DTE hold down the trip button for a few seconds & you'll see the current #'s go away and like 3 lines [---] will appear for a few minutes and then it'll be resetted.

Try that to see if that'll work.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #14

My Awards:

Happy to see it worked out, did you think up a catchy screen name? I have Ham's Max, lol
Old 10-06-2010, 02:20 PM   Thread Starter #15
Official Member

lol.. nah just my name on here. sounds silly but i am really trying to think of something to leave up...
Old 10-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #16
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

If I remember correctly, you don't reset the DTE...it resets itself. After you fill up, the first time you cycle to it, it will still read the old DTE, go through it a second time, and it should show the right numbers.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #17
Queen's Official 6.5 Gen
Donating Member

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Honorable Ride  

^ Maybe your right don lol.. i forget which ones could be reset and which cant. I thnk mpg could be resetted. Maybe dte cant. lol
Old 10-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #18
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 53
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Only driving time, avg speed and avg mpg can be reset. Honestly, I hardly use anything else except avg mpgs.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #19
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by chemax View Post
Only driving time, avg speed and avg mpg can be reset. Honestly, I hardly use anything else except avg mpgs.
Correct...as I said...once I fill up, the first time I check DTE, it still shows the mileage BEFORE I filled up. I cycle through to it a second time, and then it shows the proper DTE.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:39 PM   Thread Starter #20
Official Member

yes you are correct. in my case if you completely shut your car off when @ a gas station @ turn on the new DTE will show. If you just turn the key and not shut done completely when you start her up the old DTE will remain but update when you cycle (stock unit and aftermarket). In my case I have seen from 420 DTE @ fill up to 389 DTE but my MPG is around 14. yesterday i put in a half a tank and got 214 @ DTE.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #21
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

yes you are correct. in my case if you completely shut your car off when @ a gas station @ turn on the new DTE will show. If you just turn the key and not shut done completely when you start her up the old DTE will remain but update when you cycle (stock unit and aftermarket). In my case I have seen from 420 DTE @ fill up to 389 DTE but my MPG is around 14. yesterday i put in a half a tank and got 214 @ DTE.
I turn my car completely off every time I fill up, and I still have to cycle through once for the DTE to be correct. Every time I got to check DTE, I have to cycle through twice because the initial time it gives me the last reading.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #22
Queen's Official 6.5 Gen
Donating Member

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
I turn my car completely off every time I fill up, and I still have to cycle through once for the DTE to be correct. Every time I got to check DTE, I have to cycle through twice because the initial time it gives me the last reading.
Or you can just drive off and after like 1 minute, the new dte is updated. Atleast mine does... I turn the car off, fill up, start it back up and it shows the last dte which is for example 25 dte, then i drive off and a minute later it goes to like 260 dte.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:48 PM   Thread Starter #23
Official Member

So yesterday i had my first experience w/ the NIRD 1 scrambling up. I was reversing into a parking spot and it just bugged out.... when i got back in it was back to normal. I have put it in reverse a few times since w/ no problems!
Old 10-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #24
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

So yesterday i had my first experience w/ the NIRD 1 scrambling up. I was reversing into a parking spot and it just bugged out.... when i got back in it was back to normal. I have put it in reverse a few times since w/ no problems!
Whenever mine scrambles, it always seems to be when I've shifted into reverse. It doesn't do it all the time, it doesn't even do it a lot, but whenever it does, it's always when shifting to reverse.....hmmmm.....