Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Audio, Video & Electronics

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:06 AM   Thread Starter #1
Glendales Official 6th Gen
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 35
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard
Default My Turn To Call Out The Audio Guru's, Need Audio Help!!

okay guys so im going to be redoing the components of my 350z, i know..wrong forum but everyone is a weenie on the 350z forums so id rather save my time from bs and just ask the experts here on what they think. So the 350z comes with 4 component speakers, one on each door, and two behind the seats.

i labeled them from 1-4 (pictures are not of my car)

Click the image to open in full size.

so what i read on the 350z audio section is alot of people eliminate the door speakers (labeled 1,2) completely and just use high end components behind the seats (labeled 3,4)and use that as the sound stage of the car.

Before I ask any questions, I want something LOUD..something that will be heard over the subs..keep in mind ill probably be only using 2 components so something over 100rms each is what im looking for.

1)Is it a good idea to do that?, me personally i feel its okay being that the cars cockpit is very small and high powered components behind the seats will give a good enough sound distribution, but i would like to hear your guys opinions on this.

2)What component speakers should i use? Doesnt matter the brand as long as they are quality and they have to be sized 6 3/4. I WILL be getting a seperate amp for the speakers so they will be powered right.

Lastly if it matters, im running 1000 watts rms of pure low end power (subwoofers) so im MAINLY looking for highs.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me out!!!

@07maximan @1hawaii50 @Deadbolt @joecurr @2damax

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z

Last edited by Kenny; 04-04-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #2
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: My Turn To Call Out The Audio Guru's, Need Audio Help!!

I wouldn't. The front speakers and rear speakers provide you with the surround sound. The subs you'll add provide you the bass to compliment the other speakers. Don't delete anything, just do a nice rear sub setup and you're fine.

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

You said 4 components...1 set of components consists of 2 separate speakers...I'm only seeing 4 speakers total. I'm thinking that you have 4 sets of co-ax speakers? A component will have a large woofer, and then a small tweeter that is a separate speaker and gets mounted in a separate location. MOST component sets will also have a crossover network that will also need to be mounted in the car.

That being said, if I was going to eliminate ANY speakers, I would eliminate the rear speakers. You want your sound stage in FRONT of you. If you eliminate the front speakers, your sound stage will be behind you.

Let us know EXACTLY what type of speakers you have (co-ax vs. component), and we can give you some recommendations.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:11 AM   Thread Starter #4

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

@Deadbolt I have a really good sub setup but my soundstage isn't cutting it for me.
@1hawaii50 I have co-ax sorry about that lol, if I were to replace all 4 which should I use? Price range of $200

Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Official Member

Official Member #: 626

Reputation Level: 28
joecurr has a spectacular aura aboutjoecurr has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
That being said, if I was going to eliminate ANY speakers, I would eliminate the rear speakers. You want your sound stage in FRONT of you. If you eliminate the front speakers, your sound stage will be behind you.
THIS. Having speakers only behind you is a terrible idea. When you watch a concert or listen to someone/something, you wouldn't be facing away from the source. Rear speakers are generally just fillers, it's more important to upgrade the front. I think one of the best bangs for the buck is the Rainbow Audio SLC line of speakers. What amp will you be using for the fronts?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:32 PM   Thread Starter #6

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by joecurr View Post
THIS. Having speakers only behind you is a terrible idea. When you watch a concert or listen to someone/something, you wouldn't be facing away from the source. Rear speakers are generally just fillers, it's more important to upgrade the front. I think one of the best bangs for the buck is the Rainbow Audio SLC line of speakers. What amp will you be using for the fronts?
ill be using a rockford fosgate r-500, dont know if ill be using it for all 4 speakers, or if i just upgrade the front 2, the only problem i have with the z is the mounting depth is VERY limited, if i do only end up upgrading two ill buy another amp

if the mounting depth is a problem i might just buy 6x9 speaker boxes and mount them under the dash along with these speakers

speaker boxes
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pair-6X9...item4d0b152185

speakers

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...pa-692.9I.html

good or bad idea?

Last edited by Kenny; 04-04-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Im using Focal PS165's in the front and some IC65's in the rear. I have them powered with a JL XD 75x4 amp. I have the gained turned down on the rear so they can hard be heard, but I still have very good staging. My system gets loud...very loud and still clear.

You have to remember as well that install has a huge impact on sound. Make sure to properly deaden your doors . If you really want good sound get these...

Wicked C.A.S.*::*Speaker Pods*::*Nissan 350Z 06-08 Pods VINYL FINISH

The doors on our Z's are pretty restrictive. Not only that but the mounting depth is minimal. Im using a 1" spacer and I still needed more.

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
BurntOrangeAppeal (04-04-2013)
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 PM   Thread Starter #8

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by 07maximan View Post
Im using Focal PS165's in the front and some IC65's in the rear. I have them powered with a JL XD 75x4 amp. I have the gained turned down on the rear so they can hard be heard, but I still have very good staging. My system gets loud...very loud and still clear.

You have to remember as well that install has a huge impact on sound. Make sure to properly deaden your doors . If you really want good sound get these...

Wicked C.A.S.*::*Speaker Pods*::*Nissan 350Z 06-08 Pods VINYL FINISH

The doors on our Z's are pretty restrictive. Not only that but the mounting depth is minimal. Im using a 1" spacer and I still needed more.
yeah thats what i stated above, i hate how its so restrictive, my rockfords barely fit...my doors are all deadened also with dynamat..How much did your focals run you? I was checking those out and some of them go for like a grand

Im not trying to spend too much on this, i just want crisp audio nothing at a competition level lol, Im trying to be conservative with how much i spend because of my air suspension setup that im building, plus im getting my car repainted before my birthday in may. So im looking to spend about $6.5k just for paint and air suspension. Im trying to spend around $150 per pair of speakers and under $150 for amp.

Above i listed some infinity speakers and 6x9 speaker boxes, i measured the space behind my pedals and they would fit perfect (that being with the pedal compressed all the way obviously lol) so i would mount the box to the firewall on each. If you guys think thats a good idea i can do that, the 6x9's would be firing towards the driver/passenger so it would work out great

Plus it would save a hell of alot of time not having to remove door panels etc.

Last edited by Kenny; 04-04-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
yeah thats what i stated above, i hate how its so restrictive, my rockfords barely fit...my doors are all deadened also with dynamat..How much did your focals run you? I was checking those out and some of them go for like a grand
For the comps they were 240.00 and the rears were 89.00. Theres a place in Riverside called Pacific Stereo, they gave me a smokin' deal. The comps should have been over 400.00 and the rears 200.00. Im was super happy.

This is my first time with Focals and Im really happy with them. Very efficient. The mid bass is some of the best Ive heard in a speaker. I listen to rock so mid bass is super important to me. For around 1000.00 I have a pretty kick ass system.

Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

I wouldnt do the 6x9 thing. The way I got my speakers to fit was using a small plastic spacer you can buy at Lowes. I put them behind the screws that holds the 1" spacer to the door. Then you will have a gap between the spacer and the door, I filled it in with modeling clay. If you heard it you would think I have some very expensive speakers in the door. It really does sound great.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:06 PM   Thread Starter #11

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

I wouldnt do the 6x9 thing. The way I got my speakers to fit was using a small plastic spacer you can buy at Lowes. I put them behind the screws that holds the 1" spacer to the door. Then you will have a gap between the spacer and the door, I filled it in with modeling clay. If you heard it you would think I have some very expensive speakers in the door. It really does sound great.
ahh i wish i could hear it, you need to make a build thread asap! What size are you running in the front doors? you have the 06+ model and i have the 05- model so i just want to make sure theyre built the same because i know the 06 door panels are alot different than mine.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

ahh i wish i could hear it, you need to make a build thread asap! What size are you running in the front doors? you have the 06+ model and i have the 05- model so i just want to make sure theyre built the same because i know the 06 door panels are alot different than mine.
Oh yeah I forgot you have an 05...

Im running 6.5" all around. My subs are 2 10" JL W3's powered by a JL XD 600/1. I have the subs mounted in a ZEnclosure. My bass is tight...I keep the gain down because I dont want or need over powering bass.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:14 PM   Thread Starter #13

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Oh yeah I forgot you have an 05...

Im running 6.5" all around. My subs are 2 10" JL W3's powered by a JL XD 600/1. I have the subs mounted in a ZEnclosure. My bass is tight...I keep the gain down because I dont want or need over powering bass.
oh okay my z uses 6.5 all around as well, im having alot of trouble finding speakers over 100 rms though

what do you think of these?
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-PM.654NX.html

seems like the mounting depth might be too much though even with a spacer

or some good ol alpines
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e-SPR-17C.html

Last edited by Kenny; 04-04-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

oh okay my z uses 6.5 all around as well, im having alot of trouble finding speakers over 100 rms though
Dont get hung up on RMS numbers. Look at efficiency ratings too. The higher the number the less power you need to get it to be loud. A speaker rated at 75 RMS can take 150 watts if its set up right. Mine are rated at 75 but high efficiency. They get louder than most people would ever need.

If you want high powered speakers look at RE Audio, Diamond, older Boston and even the JL Z series. You have 2 problems with these though...one, is price. The JL Z's will cost you around 800.00 at a store or around 500.00 on CL( no warranty though). The other problem is magnet size. The higher the power capability, the bigger the magnet which means a deeper mount is needed.

Trust me, if you buy some nice comps rated at 75rms and feed them clean power you'll be happy. Do yourself a favor and look at other stuff besides the main stream stuff (meaning RF and Infinity or even Polk). There is a lot of really nice high end equipment on the market that can be had for the same price as the main stream stuff. If youre not sure send me a text and Ill help you out.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Sorry I missed the link. Those would be good for the rears.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:28 PM   Thread Starter #15

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Dont get hung up on RMS numbers. Look at efficiency ratings too. The higher the number the less power you need to get it to be loud. A speaker rated at 75 RMS can take 150 watts if its set up right. Mine are rated at 75 but high efficiency. They get louder than most people would ever need.

If you want high powered speakers look at RE Audio, Diamond, older Boston and even the JL Z series. You have 2 problems with these though...one, is price. The JL Z's will cost you around 800.00 at a store or around 500.00 on CL( no warranty though). The other problem is magnet size. The higher the power capability, the bigger the magnet which means a deeper mount is needed.

Trust me, if you buy some nice comps rated at 75rms and feed them clean power you'll be happy. Do yourself a favor and look at other stuff besides the main stream stuff (meaning RF and Infinity or even Polk). There is a lot of really nice high end equipment on the market that can be had for the same price as the main stream stuff. If youre not sure send me a text and Ill help you out.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Sorry I missed the link. Those would be good for the rears.
alright sounds good! i need to get better at this im more of an installer but youve been around this alot longer than me so ill take your advice..so do you think the alpines are good powered by a good amp?

Old 04-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #16
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

alright sounds good! i need to get better at this im more of an installer but youve been around this alot longer than me so ill take your advice..so do you think the alpines are good powered by a good amp?
Ive always been a fan of Alpine. I think they are one of those companies that put out good products across the board.

Like I said if you need help let me know. Im not expert but over the years Ive used a lot of equipment. All I can give you is my opinion.

S.V (04-06-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM   Thread Starter #17

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Ive always been a fan of Alpine. I think they are one of those companies that put out good products across the board.

Like I said if you need help let me know. Im not expert but over the years Ive used a lot of equipment. All I can give you is my opinion.
sounds good! thanks a million dude!

07maximan (04-04-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
Official Member

Official Member #: 2342

Reputation Level: 8
cheese20323 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go down to central LA and pick up a set of Alpine Type R Components and a set of Alpine Type R 6.5's for the back. I had 2 12 RE SE's like the ones hero had or has and used this same setup and it was by far the best sound system I ever had.

Use the Type R components with this amp:
Alpine PDX 4 100 4 Channel Car Amplifier | eBay
I can get you a deal not for the RE's but they are exactly the same at 160$ each. HAve you been to the wholesalers place around la?
cheese20323 is offline   Send a private message to cheese20323 Find more posts by cheese20323 Add cheese20323 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2013, 02:47 AM   Thread Starter #19

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by cheese20323 View Post
Go down to central LA and pick up a set of Alpine Type R Components and a set of Alpine Type R 6.5's for the back. I had 2 12 RE SE's like the ones hero had or has and used this same setup and it was by far the best sound system I ever had.

Use the Type R components with this amp:
Alpine PDX 4 100 4 Channel Car Amplifier | eBay
I can get you a deal not for the RE's but they are exactly the same at 160$ each. HAve you been to the wholesalers place around la?
Nope bro never have been where can I find them

Old 04-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
Official Member

Nope bro never have been where can I find them
950 E 11th St Los Angeles, CA.

Go there and pretty much pretend your not a noob and you will get good prices. And dont forget to bargain with them and takeke cash so you wont get charged taxes either. The whole street is filled up with wholesalers so walk around see who gives you the best price.
cheese20323 is offline   Send a private message to cheese20323 Find more posts by cheese20323 Add cheese20323 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2013, 12:40 PM   Thread Starter #21

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Go there and pretty much pretend your not a noob and you will get good prices. And dont forget to bargain with them and takeke cash so you wont get charged taxes either. The whole street is filled up with wholesalers so walk around see who gives you the best price.
NICE!!!! Thanks alot bro!

Old 04-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #22
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Isnt this the Garment District??

Old 04-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #23
Official Member

Isnt this the Garment District??
Around a block from there. Oh and kenny if you dont take your car there it would be better. Roads are not all that great there, but there is a guy there that does tint for around 90 iirc.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:45 PM   Thread Starter #24

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Around a block from there. Oh and kenny if you dont take your car there it would be better. Roads are not all that great there, but there is a guy there that does tint for around 90 iirc.
It's all good I just got my windows tinted for $100 there's no way in heck ill drive my car down there lol the streets are trash! Feels like New York lol

S.V (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #25
Premier Member

Official Member #: 265

Reputation Level: 20
H4X1MA will become famous soon enough

Behind the ball here, but IMO if it has 4, then use 4. I removed my rear deck in the mox just to try to let sound through, if there was another way to port sound (besides the small armrest mod) then I would have replaced those too.