Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Audio, Video & Electronics

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:45 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 3079

Reputation Level: 9
Jony09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Licence Plate Rattle

Finally received real licence plates but rattles way,to much with my system, anyone got input on the best way to get rid of it? Will doublesided tape work some magic?
Also anyone installed that dynomat for the licence plate. I will buy dynomat for the trunk and doors but later
Thanks
Jony09 is offline   Send a private message to Jony09 Find more posts by Jony09 Add Jony09 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Default Re: Licence plate rattle

I have Dynamat behind the plate,doesnt help much. Make sure its tight and then put some weather stripping around the edges on the back of the plate.

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Reputation Level: 35
Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile

I would use some of that soft foam that come in boxes and sit it between the plates and the trunk and that should absorb the vibration.

Greatness in the making...
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Glendales Official 6th Gen

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 36
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard

heres what i did, and the worlds biggest system wont even rattle my plate

youll need a powerdrill, drywall screws,screwdriver and dynamat

maximas usually only come with 2 screws up top,

Step 1:remove the license plate frame (if you have one) and the license plate

Step 2: double layer the back of the license plate with dynamat, make sure you cover every single inch

Step 3:Bolt up the license plate up top with both screws (as if your putting new plates on your car) and tighten them as hard as you can with a screw driver

Step 4:Take 2 drywall screws, Screw in both screws in the bottom left and right holes of the license plate(where no screw holes have been made), Drive the drywall screw straight through the hole in the license plate creating a new hole DO NOT pre drill a hole into it because you will not get the tight fit if you do.

Step 5 (if you have a license plate frame): Cut two thin pieces of dynamat about 1inchx3inch pieces and roll them up like you roll dough for a pizza so all sides are exposing the sticky part of the dynamat, stick both to the left and right corners under the bottom side of the frame and push down on the license plate frame against the license plate.

It fixed my license plate rattle 100%, if the steps are confusing, just Pm me and ill try to take some pictures on every step to clear things up a bit. Hope i helped!

Last edited by Kenny; 12-07-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Licence Plate Rattle

Just put a layer of Dynamat on the back of the plate and a layer on the trunk behind the plate. That's what I did and it's gone.

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
Poetic Max

Official Member #: 2199

Reputation Level: 35
Kontra-vers-E will become famous soon enoughKontra-vers-E will become famous soon enough

Visit Kontra-vers-E's Facebook Visit Kontra-vers-E's PS3 Profile

Originally Posted by kaygmaxima View Post
heres what i did, and the worlds biggest system wont even rattle my plate

youll need a powerdrill, drywall screws,screwdriver and dynamat

maximas usually only come with 2 screws up top,

Step 1:remove the license plate frame (if you have one) and the license plate

Step 2: double layer the back of the license plate with dynamat, make sure you cover every single inch

Step 3:Bolt up the license plate up top with both screws (as if your putting new plates on your car) and tighten them as hard as you can with a screw driver

Step 4:Take 2 drywall screws, Screw in both screws in the bottom left and right holes of the license plate(where no screw holes have been made), Drive the drywall screw straight through the hole in the license plate creating a new hole DO NOT pre drill a hole into it because you will not get the tight fit if you do.

Step 5 (if you have a license plate frame): Cut two thin pieces of dynamat about 1inchx3inch pieces and roll them up like you roll dough for a pizza so all sides are exposing the sticky part of the dynamat, stick both to the left and right corners under the bottom side of the frame and push down on the license plate frame against the license plate.

It fixed my license plate rattle 100%, if the steps are confusing, just Pm me and ill try to take some pictures on every step to clear things up a bit. Hope i helped!
I was going to say post some pix of what you have here in case more people run into this issue.

Greatness in the making...
Kontra-vers-E is offline   Send a private message to Kontra-vers-E Find more posts by Kontra-vers-E Add Kontra-vers-E to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #7

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by Kontra-vers-E View Post

I was going to say post some pix of what you have here in case more people run into this issue.
I'll make a thread about it when I get home from school, it honestly fixed my rattle problem and I won't mind sharing
Latinmaxima (12-07-2011)
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

I went as far as taking the license plate finisher off and putting dynomat behind it. It is only two nuts and five clips that are released from inside. But the two clips in the first picture to the left and right of the camera i could not get to release so i just cut them off. It made alot of the rattle go away. If i take my pinky and just touch the lower right of the license plate finisher the rattling stops. I think I'm going to get some sheet metal screws and put them in all the way through the metal into the trunk where i cut the clips off. Nice idea.

Click the image to open in full size.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
07maximan (12-07-2011)
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 PM   Thread Starter #9
Official Member

Official Member #: 3079

Jony09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for,all this ill see what I do, I did the screw trough the trunk on my old car, I really don't wanna do that kind of stuff to da max yet ill prob put dynomat n a layer of some kind of foam behind the plate. Ill probably do the screw one later. Thanks for this tough
Jony09 is offline   Send a private message to Jony09 Find more posts by Jony09 Add Jony09 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #10

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by DAlastDON View Post
I went as far as taking the license plate finisher off and putting dynomat behind it. It is only two nuts and five clips that are released from inside. But the two clips in the first picture to the left and right of the camera i could not get to release so i just cut them off. It made alot of the rattle go away. If i take my pinky and just touch the lower right of the license plate finisher the rattling stops. I think I'm going to get some sheet metal screws and put them in all the way through the metal into the trunk where i cut the clips off. Nice idea.

too reach the screws theyre under the license plate, and the clips are inside under the trunk liner, correct? this looks very interesting and i kind of want to do this, but a little confused on how to remove it
Old 12-08-2011, 01:19 AM   #11

Official Member #: 1

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

You are simply the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 AM   #12
Official Member

Official Member #: 2119

mightymax is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Try placing rubber bushings on all 4 screws between the plate and the car
mightymax is offline   Send a private message to mightymax Find more posts by mightymax Add mightymax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 AM   #13
Donating Member

Official Member #: 86

Reputation Level: 25
Max Power will become famous soon enoughMax Power will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Visit Max Power's YouTube

Don't use drywall screws. They will rust in 6 months and break. Get self tapping stainless instead.
Max Power is offline   Send a private message to Max Power Find more posts by Max Power Add Max Power to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2011, 01:31 AM   #14

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Don't use drywall screws. They will rust in 6 months and break. Get self tapping stainless instead.
ive had drywall screws in for about 3 years in my bmw and havent had any problems, only reason i said drywall is because they work, and the heads are small so your license plate frame can still sit flush with the license plate
Old 12-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #15
Donating Member

Official Member #: 86

Reputation Level: 25
Max Power will become famous soon enoughMax Power will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Visit Max Power's YouTube

ive had drywall screws in for about 3 years in my bmw and havent had any problems, only reason i said drywall is because they work, and the heads are small so your license plate frame can still sit flush with the license plate
I see your from So Cal. It would work in your situation. Not much rain, and never salt to get rid of the snow.
Max Power is offline   Send a private message to Max Power Find more posts by Max Power Add Max Power to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #16

Official Member #: 1

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

I see your from So Cal. It would work in your situation. Not much rain, and never salt to get rid of the snow.
A little off-topic.

Screw SO-CAL. EAST COAST HOMIE!!

Back on topic.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #17

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

you have a very good point, gotta love So Cal
Old 12-08-2011, 01:45 AM   #18
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

too reach the screws theyre under the license plate, and the clips are inside under the trunk liner, correct? this looks very interesting and i kind of want to do this, but a little confused on how to remove it
Everything is in between the outer and inner skins of the trunk lid. Take the liner off and you will see the holes you have to work in. The two nuts are on the top and circled in green. Easy to get to. There are five clips total. Start with the ones on the outer corners as they are easy to get to and you can see how to release them after looking at them. Use a small screw driver or scratch awl or ice pick to release the clips.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2011, 01:53 AM   #19

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Everything is in between the outer and inner skins of the trunk lid. Take the liner off and you will see the holes you have to work in. The two nuts are on the top and circled in green. Easy to get to. There are five clips total. Start with the ones on the outer corners as they are easy to get to and you can see how to release them after looking at them. Use a small screw driver or scratch awl or ice pick to release the clips.
oh okay i get it, and you said you were gonna put sheet metal screws straight through where you cut the clips, i didnt get that part either, sorry
Old 12-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #20
IC3D

Official Member #: 26

Digital will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Visit Digital's Facebook Visit Digital's Twitter Visit Digital's YouTube Visit Digital's LinkedIn

Yeh, you guys got it wrapped up, I don't even need to say anything. Perfecto! :D
Digital is offline   Send a private message to Digital Find more posts by Digital Add Digital to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #21
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by EddyMaxx View Post
A little off-topic.

Screw SO-CAL. EAST COAST HOMIE!!

Back on topic.

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Kenny (12-09-2011)
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top

Tags
dynomat, rattle, subs

Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Audio, Video & Electronics