Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Audio, Video & Electronics

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:53 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 3836

Reputation Level: 0
Mr.Goodbar is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Lawd Geezus Help Me! Audio Install Mess!

So I recently did the dual screen upgrade all went well without any major problems. But i figured since i had the car apart I may as well replace all my speakers as well..... Thats when my shit hit the fan..... So my vacation came to an end and i didnt have to time to finish the install myself; I had a friend of mine finish replacing the rear doors and 6x9s. I got off work in time to see him wire in the last 6x9; assuming everything was good to go he turned the key forward and the back of my Pioneer avh-p6000dvd started to smoke! Since i wasnt sure and I'm still not sure what he did wrong i quickly unplugged the harness from the back of my unit.... Thinking i had completely fried the unit i called the nearest service shop to make an appointment. After letting it sit for an hour while i cried i went back out and hooked it back up to see if it would power on per the service centers request. and to my surprise it did.... So i've been slowly and painfully making my way through his mess and I'm in serious need of some help. First I since the mini smoke of the unit i cant get rid of this damned engine whine. Second I cant seem to figure out why I'm not able to run all 6 speakers at the same time. 6.5 componets upfront powerbass 3xl -3 ohm, rear doors 6.5 powerbass 6.5 3xl- 3 ohm to be ran by head unit. rear deck are 3xl - 3 ohm as well to run on the rear channels. Amp being used to pwr setup is a Clarion apx 4360..... any help with this would frickin great!
Mr.Goodbar is offline   Send a private message to Mr.Goodbar Find more posts by Mr.Goodbar Add Mr.Goodbar to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

/ Point Value: 10

Banner of The Month  

Default Re: Lawd Geezus Help Me! Audio install mess!

Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
Second I cant seem to figure out why I'm not able to run all 6 speakers at the same time. 6.5 componets upfront powerbass 3xl -3 ohm, rear doors 6.5 powerbass 6.5 3xl- 3 ohm to be ran by head unit. rear deck are 3xl - 3 ohm as well to run on the rear channels. Amp being used to pwr setup is a Clarion apx 4360..... any help with this would frickin great!
It is unclear....Are some speakers being run off of the head units amplfier and others being run off the clairion amp?

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

/ Point Value: 5

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

So are you saying youre running 4 speakers off the HU??

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 626

Reputation Level: 28
joecurr has a spectacular aura aboutjoecurr has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Yeah, details of what's connected to what would help. BTW, why are your speakers 3ohm? They should be 4ohm at minimum.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:38 PM   Thread Starter #5

Yes, I have the front door componets and the 6x9s running off of the Clarion and the the rear doors coming off the deck. I had a similar set up in my 04 STS with no issuses. But i still cant figure out what would've caused my head unit to smoke...... A few more details. We only had the speakers being powered by the amp hooked up; i ran new front speaker wire to the amp. I then took the 6x9s and ran them directly to the amp. After hours of searching i found the schematic for the car. I've done my share of dope installs, but i've never incountered so many issues like i am with this! Thanks
Mr.Goodbar is offline   Send a private message to Mr.Goodbar Find more posts by Mr.Goodbar Add Mr.Goodbar to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2012, 03:41 PM   Thread Starter #6

not sure why powerbass decided to do all their speakers in 3 ohm setup but for whatever reason i at the time of the first purchase for the lac i loved them!! Not too sure about my choice in speakers at the moment! But if the front componets have the tweeter would that rasie the ohm load from 3 to 4? Or would it be unchanged?
Old 02-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #7

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

I got baddd news for you buddy, you say you cant get rid of engine whine, guess what, try re grounding it if that dont work. Your have a blown PICO fuse. Google Pioneer and Pico fuse and you will see the pico fuse is whats causing your whine. Pioneer would of been even better had they not used pico fuses, Sorry to say.

good luck

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2012, 04:42 PM   Thread Starter #8

I swear i just read about the last night, and saw some kid jigga-rig some type of setup to eliminate it. I can send the unit out to have it repaired, but i dont want to get it fixed yet cause i cant figure out what cause the issue in the first place. When i first got my Max I had a kenwood setup and and still had the noise, it just wasnt as loud because i was using hi-level inputs..... i will try moving the amp again and see what i can come up with. Any other suggestions are welcome; I've got 2 weeks before i head to florida dont think i could stand the noise for 20 hours!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Official Member

Official Member #: 626

Reputation Level: 28
joecurr has a spectacular aura aboutjoecurr has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

not sure why powerbass decided to do all their speakers in 3 ohm setup but for whatever reason i at the time of the first purchase for the lac i loved them!! Not too sure about my choice in speakers at the moment! But if the front componets have the tweeter would that rasie the ohm load from 3 to 4? Or would it be unchanged?
I'm not sure why they'd do that either, but no the tweeter will not affect the resistance since the midbass and tweeter connect to the crossover (at least I assume they do since you said they are components). So the load on the amp will be 3ohms per channel, which I'm sure the amp will not like since most multi-channel amps are rated at 4ohms per channel stereo, 2ohms mono/bridged. You'll be overdriving the amp which will lead to undesirable effects.

And after re-reading your original post, you also connected 3ohm speakers to the head unit, a big no-no. Same thing applies.

If you ONLY had speakers connected to the amp and the amp connected to the head unit via RCA's, then the problems would only be with the amp. Actually, how are you connecting the amp to the head unit? That head unit has 3 RCA pre-outs, front, rear, and sub. It seems as you are using the 6x9's as your subs, so I'd connect those channels using the sub pre-out so you can control the settings on them as subs. You still should switch all your speakers out for 4ohm though.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

This is why I always recommend when some one does an upgrade to just buy amps. Even cheap amps are better than running off the HU,plus you dont have problems like this.

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2012, 05:05 PM   Thread Starter #11

speakers were hooked up via rca's. The 6x9s were on the rear channels, and the plan was to hook up the rear doors to the head unit. but since starting the post i managed to get a set of kick cs or ks componets for the rear door that are 4 ohms so i can at least run those now. But yes the 3ohm speakers will be coming out!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Default Re: Lawd Geezus Help Me! Audio Install Mess!

Originally Posted by Hmax View Post
I got baddd news for you buddy, you say you cant get rid of engine whine, guess what, try re grounding it if that dont work. Your have a blown PICO fuse. Google Pioneer and Pico fuse and you will see the pico fuse is whats causing your whine. Pioneer would of been even better had they not used pico fuses, Sorry to say.

good luck
Good call...as soon as I read his first post, I thought "PICO" fuse! Pioneer head units are VERY sensitive when it comes to the PICO fuse...it doesn't seem like it takes much at all to cook them. Something as simple as hot-swapping the RCA's have been known to cause the fuse to blow.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
Official Sweet Action 6.5gen

Official Member #: 117

Reputation Level: 66
Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube

hey man, i tried looking for that diagram and couldnt find it. ill look more tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:56 AM   Thread Starter #14

@ Nismo no worries bro i found what i needed in the FMS, thank you though. Would and inline filter get rid of the unwanted noise or should i just send the unit out to be fixed? Anyone sent their unit out to be serviced for this issue? whats the ball park figure on the repair and turn around time? Any suggestions on a decent set of componets and 6x9s? The kickers will be used to get me be until I find a new amp and componets.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #15

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

@ Nismo no worries bro i found what i needed in the FMS, thank you though. Would and inline filter get rid of the unwanted noise or should i just send the unit out to be fixed? Anyone sent their unit out to be serviced for this issue? whats the ball park figure on the repair and turn around time? Any suggestions on a decent set of componets and 6x9s? The kickers will be used to get me be until I find a new amp and componets.

I have a D3 and I had a local electronic guy in Texas replace my pico fuse and it ran me about $145. I am pretty sure Pioneer can replace but it may run you around $170-200. good luck

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #16
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

There is/was a pretty good thread over on DIYMobileaudio.com that showed a head unit broken down and the actual blown fuse...I checked real quick, but couldn't come up with it. A ground loop isolator may/may not fix the issue, but the "ghetto fix" of wrapping the RCA pre-outs in wire and grounding that AND the RCA's to a good ground did seem to fix it.