Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Audio, Video & Electronics

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:36 AM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 5523

Reputation Level: 0
IslandTosh is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default I Think I Have A Faulty AudioControl LC6i

So I had to replace my wife's front passenger window regulator, and while I was waiting for the new one to come in I decided to throw in audio stuff I had in the garage cabinet: 4ch amp, 2 6.5 coaxials for the rear 2 6.5 components for the front, mono amp and sub. She didn't want to spend the money for a new HU, ASWC & NIRD, so I got an AudioControl LC6i for what seemed like a good deal ($100).

I got all the physical stuff installed, and have run all my wires, but I think the AudioControl is faulty: it will not stay off! I've tried it using the signal-sensing turn on feature, using a trigger wire instead, using 2 different ground locations, and the best case is the unit will power on with the car, power off with the car, then it will power back on after about a minute and won't power off again.

I put in a call to the AudioControl tech support, and his opinion after about 20 minutes was that my unit is faulty.

I'm going to see about getting a new unit, but it's frustrating to put the work in and not have a properly-functioning system.
IslandTosh is offline   Send a private message to IslandTosh Find more posts by IslandTosh Add IslandTosh to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 3079

Reputation Level: 8
Jony09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Default re: I Think I Have A Faulty AudioControl LC6i

Originally Posted by IslandTosh View Post
So I had to replace my wife's front passenger window regulator, and while I was waiting for the new one to come in I decided to throw in audio stuff I had in the garage cabinet: 4ch amp, 2 6.5 coaxials for the rear 2 6.5 components for the front, mono amp and sub. She didn't want to spend the money for a new HU, ASWC & NIRD, so I got an AudioControl LC6i for what seemed like a good deal ($100).

I got all the physical stuff installed, and have run all my wires, but I think the AudioControl is faulty: it will not stay off! I've tried it using the signal-sensing turn on feature, using a trigger wire instead, using 2 different ground locations, and the best case is the unit will power on with the car, power off with the car, then it will power back on after about a minute and won't power off again.

I put in a call to the AudioControl tech support, and his opinion after about 20 minutes was that my unit is faulty.

I'm going to see about getting a new unit, but it's frustrating to put the work in and not have a properly-functioning system.
Try a switch so you have to turn it on manually
Jony09 is offline   Send a private message to Jony09 Find more posts by Jony09 Add Jony09 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: I Think I Have A Faulty AudioControl LC6i

That sucks. I can't say I have any suggestions.

So says Latinmaxima, so it shall be done!
Old 09-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 2738

Reputation Level: 8
cbirbig is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit cbirbig's PS3 Profile Visit cbirbig's LinkedIn

Sounds like a bad unit to me too. These sell pretty cheap on ebay if you want to continue with Audio Control. Here's a link to one selling for around $30...Audio Control LC6i - Six Channel Line Output Converter | eBay

I upgraded to this unit and haven't looked back. 3SIXTY Digital Processors - 3SIXTY.3 - Rockford Fosgate®

It's nice to have the bass knob flush mounted on the driver side. You can also look at the Audio Control LC8i. http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/1761...t----LC8i.html

Either way you go...sounds like you need a new converter...or HU. OEM integration gets more expensive then buying a new HU many times. Especially when considering the 6 CD changer, Bluetooth and Steering Wheel controls and trip information. To maintain your existing features requires a piecemeal solution. I guess it depends on what is important to you. Good luck whatever direction you choose.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
Official Member

Official Member #: 626

Reputation Level: 28
joecurr has a spectacular aura aboutjoecurr has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Where are you getting the 12V to power it from? It sounds like you have a constant 12V source, maybe you can switch it to an ignition 12V source so at least there's no power to it when the car is off.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:21 PM   Thread Starter #6

Official Member #: 5523

Reputation Level: 0
IslandTosh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies; it feels good to have my rant acknowledged.

Yeah, I tried to push for a newer HU, but she likes having the screen and all the controls, and it would have cost more to get the new HU / ASWC / NIRD... esp. since I had all the speakers & amps in the garage already.

For the 12V source, I used the yellow wire that went into the BOSE amp, then I tied it to the cable I ran to the battery. I hadn't thought about running switched power to the unit; I can experiment with that a bit.

That 3SIXTY looks awesome, but it's out of my budget. I'll experiment a bit more with this unit until the replacement unit arrives.
IslandTosh is offline   Send a private message to IslandTosh Find more posts by IslandTosh Add IslandTosh to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 626

Reputation Level: 28
joecurr has a spectacular aura aboutjoecurr has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Maybe you can just use a fuse tap. Just run a wire along your amp's power cable up to the fuse box and the converter won't have power when the car's off.

Littelfuse FHA200BP ATO Add-A-Circuit Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive