Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Audio, Video & Electronics

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:41 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 7303

Reputation Level: 12
ShawnD will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Grounding Aftermarket HU

I am putting in a new HU and I am trying to figure out the easiest, cleanest way to ground it. The factory sysem has no external ground I guess so that makes it kinda difficult. On the aftermarket metra harness there is a wire for the amp ground. My stock harness has a wire coming off the same pin but I didn't think the non bose systems had an amp. Could I just put the ground from my HU into that pin or should I try and get it on a metal part of the chassis instead?
ShawnD is offline   Send a private message to ShawnD Find more posts by ShawnD Add ShawnD to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Glendales Official 6th Gen

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 35
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 10

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: Grounding Aftermarket HU

Wait I'm a little confused, why do you need to ground the Headunit? The metro harness and the radio harness should plug right up via connectors, but if for whatever reason it doesn't just get a wire terminal,splice the wire, crimp it, and ground it to a metal screw behind the Headunit area, when I was wiring up my DVD player bypass in my old maxima there was a screw right under the stock display screen that I grounded it too let me check my
Photobucket to see if I still have pictures and ill update this post

Or you can also ground it to the screws that hold the Headunit and brackets together

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z

Last edited by Kenny; 07-02-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 PM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

Official Member #: 7303

Reputation Level: 12
ShawnD will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Grounding Aftermarket HU

Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Wait I'm a little confused, why do you need to ground the Headunit? The metro harness and the radio harness should plug right up via connectors, but if for whatever reason it doesn't just get a wire terminal,splice the wire, crimp it, and ground it to a metal screw behind the Headunit area, when I was wiring up my DVD player bypass in my old maxima there was a screw right under the stock display screen that I grounded it too let me check my
Photobucket to see if I still have pictures and ill update this post

Or you can also ground it to the screws that hold the Headunit and brackets together
I found a random hole in a brace and grounded it to that. The metra harness I had has no black ground wire, just one for an orange amp wire that I don't have. The sony harness has a black ground wire. Now I just need to get some screws to get it secured in there hahaha
ShawnD is offline   Send a private message to ShawnD Find more posts by ShawnD Add ShawnD to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top