Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Audio, Video & Electronics

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:37 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2823

Reputation Level: 8
DDub is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default 8" to 6x9 Rear Deck Speakers

Just curious here, I've removed my rear 8" bose subs and I was looking to see if I could replace them with 6 x 9's. Would I have to cut out part of the rear deck? and is there a speaker bracket I could/should use? I just wanted to get rid of that rear deck rattle that was being caused by those speakers shaking that deck...
DDub is offline   Send a private message to DDub Find more posts by DDub Add DDub to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Default Re: 8" to 6 x 9 rear deck speakers

Originally Posted by DDub View Post
Just curious here, I've removed my rear 8" bose subs and I was looking to see if I could replace them with 6 x 9's. Would I have to cut out part of the rear deck? and is there a speaker bracket I could/should use? I just wanted to get rid of that rear deck rattle that was being caused by those speakers shaking that deck...
Do you have subs in the trunk? You will have to fab a bracket if you have 8s in the deck and want to go with 6x9s now. If you have a sub/s, just pull the 8s out and leave them out.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 PM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
Do you have subs in the trunk? You will have to fab a bracket if you have 8s in the deck and want to go with 6x9s now. If you have a sub/s, just pull the 8s out and leave them out.
I do have 8's, but I also have a set of Pioneer 6x9's laying around I was gunna throw in there... but I can't fab a bracket for it so I might as well just leave them out!
DDub is offline   Send a private message to DDub Find more posts by DDub Add DDub to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #4

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

What you could do is get maybe a 1/2" 6x9 speaker rings made and just install them that way.

I have the 6x9 from the factory and when they were replaced with aftermarket 6 1/2" speakers, I used some 6 1/2" speaker rings obviously it had to be cut a little bigger so it sat outside the factory holes. You can do that.

Another option would be to replace those 8"s with some aftermarket "FREE AIR" (infinite baffle) Woofers and and amp and you have yourself a nice little system

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE

Last edited by Hmax; 01-03-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2012, 04:19 PM   Thread Starter #5
Official Member

Originally Posted by Hmax View Post
What you could do is get maybe a 1/2" 6x9 speaker rings made and just install them that way.

I have the 6x9 from the factory and when they were replaced with aftermarket 6 1/2" speakers, I used some 6 1/2" speaker rings obviously it had to be cut a little bigger so it sat outside the factory holes. You can do that.

Another option would be to replace those 8"s with some aftermarket "FREE AIR" (infinite baffle) Woofers and and amp and you have yourself a nice little system
but wouldn't the speaker still be too big for the 8" hole?

I thought about that but I'm trying to avoid putting subs up there because I have a 12" in the trunk and those 8's just rattled that rear deck like crazy...
Old 01-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #6

My Awards:

but wouldn't the speaker still be too big for the 8" hole? I thought about that but I'm trying to avoid putting subs up there because I have a 12" in the trunk and those 8's just rattled that rear deck like crazy...

NO basically the speaker rings make a new shelf for the 6x9's, wood rings go over 8" hole (maybe make it bigger a little) and new 6x9's sit on wood ring

Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2012, 08:03 PM   Thread Starter #7
Official Member

Originally Posted by Hmax View Post
NO basically the speaker rings make a new shelf for the 6x9's, wood rings go over 8" hole (maybe make it bigger a little) and new 6x9's sit on wood ring
Ohh I see that's what I was confused about, so I just have to take off the rear deck cover thing, and put it in that way?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #8

My Awards:

Ohh I see that's what I was confused about, so I just have to take off the rear deck cover thing, and put it in that way?
Basically yes, you have to remove the rear deck cover and screw in the speaker ring then crew in the speaker to the ring.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard
Default Re: 8" to 6x9 Rear Deck Speakers

I have 6x9's and they rattle the deck too. If you have a sub why not just adjust the bass down for the regular speakers and only turn the sub up?
Chemax (01-04-2012)
Latinmaxima is offline   Send a private message to Latinmaxima Find more posts by Latinmaxima Add Latinmaxima to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2012, 04:02 PM   Thread Starter #10
Official Member

Originally Posted by latinismo View Post
I have 6x9's and they rattle the deck too. If you have a sub why not just adjust the bass down for the regular speakers and only turn the sub up?
That's how it is right now, I have no problem with it, I was just looking for more sound variance.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
Executive Member

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard

I see. Well the other side is if your only using stock wiring for those speakers you won't get much sound variance replacing the 8" subs with 6x9's unless you provide them with a different sound source.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I actually planned to dynamat the crap out of the deck and switch to 8" shallow mount subs to keep my trunk space. Kids and all that don't allow me much room.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
Premier Member

Official Member #: 2470

Reputation Level: 10
silvermax06 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have 12s in the trunk. there would be no point to have 6x9s anyway.. When i get around to putting my 12s in i am either gonna disconnect the 6x9s or just take them out...
Apollos2 (01-17-2012)
silvermax06 is offline   Send a private message to silvermax06 Find more posts by silvermax06 Add silvermax06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
Official Member

Official Member #: 2738

cbirbig is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit cbirbig's PS3 Profile Visit cbirbig's LinkedIn

Just take them out...you'll never look back again. Like Hawaii has said in other posts, your sound stage should be in front of you anyway...let the a sub handle the lows...and let the front speakers sing away.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:52 PM   Thread Starter #14
Official Member

Good advice, I did notice the sub was a little louder now that it can vent in the cabin. Anyone have any luck stopping the rear deck from sounding like a wood pecker? I have the rear light raised up and pressed against the window but one day it'll be fine and the next it'll rattle again...
Old 01-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #15
Official Member

Official Member #: 2738

cbirbig is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit cbirbig's PS3 Profile Visit cbirbig's LinkedIn

make sure all of your clips are in their proper homes...you can visualize some but not all of them from inside your trunk looking up at the deck. My guess is some of those haven't found their homes. My clips are white, and you can see a portion of them sticking out through the holes designed for them. sometimes...if they are lined up properly all it takes is a light banging on the top to make them seat properly. Ensure they are lined up before you start hitting them.

If that doesn't work....dynamat would probably help..my whole car is dynamatted.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:57 PM   Thread Starter #16
Official Member

Originally Posted by cbirbig View Post
make sure all of your clips are in their proper homes...you can visualize some but not all of them from inside your trunk looking up at the deck. My guess is some of those haven't found their homes. My clips are white, and you can see a portion of them sticking out through the holes designed for them. sometimes...if they are lined up properly all it takes is a light banging on the top to make them seat properly. Ensure they are lined up before you start hitting them.

If that doesn't work....dynamat would probably help..my whole car is dynamatted.
Which clips are you talking about specifically? the ones holding the rear deck lining on? and I want to dynamat it all but the prices are too much
Old 01-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #17
Executive Member

We need a group Dynamat deal. If I measured correctly it would take two whole car kits at least to Dynamat the entire vehicle. That's a lot of money. I know others have used other product and say it is equal quality. I need to do some research I guess. I also have to go back and bang in a few clips now and then. Maybe I broke some so that is why it still rattles.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:53 PM   Thread Starter #18
Official Member

Originally Posted by cbirbig View Post

I just got done removing the back deck mat thing, I covered the area around the brake light in cloths, and put one under the black spongey support thing. So far it took away all the rattle...

We need a group Dynamat deal. If I measured correctly it would take two whole car kits at least to Dynamat the entire vehicle. That's a lot of money. I know others have used other product and say it is equal quality. I need to do some research I guess. I also have to go back and bang in a few clips now and then. Maybe I broke some so that is why it still rattles.
I completely agree, I would definitely do the whole car. I would buy the kit(s) to do it now, but I'd have to see my car to pay for it so...
Old 01-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #19

Official Member #: 2259

Reputation Level: 12
Voodoo3defx is on a distinguished road

Are the rear deck speakers strictly for bass?
Old 01-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by Voodoo3defx View Post
Are the rear deck speakers strictly for bass?
Yes, they are the factory "subs".
Old 01-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #21
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Has anyone "re-wired" the rear speakers to be mid & hi range like the rest, with a sub in the trunk?

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 PM   Thread Starter #22
Official Member

Originally Posted by Chemax View Post
Has anyone "re-wired" the rear speakers to be mid & hi range like the rest, with a sub in the trunk?
I removed the subs, but I'm running all the door speakers on factory wiring. I'm putting in an amp in a week and will rewire it all myself and do just that.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #23
Mile High Maxima

Official Member #: 510

Reputation Level: 33
Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

I see. Well the other side is if your only using stock wiring for those speakers you won't get much sound variance replacing the 8" subs with 6x9's unless you provide them with a different sound source.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I actually planned to dynamat the crap out of the deck and switch to 8" shallow mount subs to keep my trunk space. Kids and all that don't allow me much room.
You don't even need shallow mounts.

You will need a wood ring adapter like this:
Click the image to open in full size.

This is our stock 8in "sub" and the stock adapter ring

Like I said you don't need to go shallow, you will have plenty of room with a good 8in speaker:

or

Plenty of room, no worries

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
DDub (01-17-2012), Latinmaxima (01-17-2012)
Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #24
Executive Member

That is exactly the style setup I want right there. I only was thinking shallow mount to keep the gray cover to conceal them or build a box to house them under the deck for the specs of the speakers. Do you have rattle of the deck with your set up?
Old 01-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #25
Mile High Maxima

Official Member #: 510

Reputation Level: 33
Apollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura aboutApollos2 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

That is exactly the style setup I want right there. I only was thinking shallow mount to keep the gray cover to conceal them or build a box to house them under the deck for the specs of the speakers. Do you have rattle of the deck with your set up?
Not any more than I did when I had this box in there. You don't need a box if you get speakers rated for IB (Infinite Baffle/Free air)

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Latinmaxima (01-18-2012)
Apollos2 is offline   Send a private message to Apollos2 Find more posts by Apollos2 Add Apollos2 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top