Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 PM   Thread Starter #1
Glendales Official 6th Gen
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 35
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard
Default Wheel Bearing/Hub Problem, Need Help!

hey guys so im having a bit of an issue with my hub or wheel bearing dont know forsure, when im coming to a stop my rear wheels make a loud whining noise, so i took it to the mechanic a few months ago and got brand new wheel bearings from the dealer put in on both sides and that same day i heard the same whining noise, so im guessing its the hub or spindle??? what should i replace next, i was reading on the 350z forums that i might have to change the hub but when i search up parts i get the full hub assembly, rear spindle, rear knuckle or wheel bearing, i already have brand new wheel bearings in so i dont need those, which part should i be looking for?

p.s i forgot to mention, it mostly only makes noise when im coming to a stop applying the brakes, other than that it doesnt make a noise unless i dont hear it because of my exhaust, ive had 3 mechanics tell me different things and that noise is really pissing me off, they all said it had to do with the hub, one said it was the bearing, the other said it was the hub and the other said the spindle, so im at a loss idk which it is, but forsure not the bearing because those are new

can this noise also be caused by a bad alignment? my alignment is soo effed up right now and i want to change whatever i have too before i go in and get an alignment, im catching up with all my maintenence this month so i want to get as much done as possible within 2 weeks

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z

Last edited by Kenny; 01-29-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 33
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Wheel Bearing/Hub Problem, Need Help!

Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
hey guys so im having a bit of an issue with my hub or wheel bearing dont know forsure, when im coming to a stop my rear wheels make a loud whining noise, so i took it to the mechanic a few months ago and got brand new wheel bearings from the dealer put in on both sides and that same day i heard the same whining noise, so im guessing its the hub or spindle??? what should i replace next, i was reading on the 350z forums that i might have to change the hub but when i search up parts i get the full hub assembly, rear spindle, rear knuckle or wheel bearing, i already have brand new wheel bearings in so i dont need those, which part should i be looking for?

p.s i forgot to mention, it mostly only makes noise when im coming to a stop applying the brakes, other than that it doesnt make a noise unless i dont hear it because of my exhaust, ive had 3 mechanics tell me different things and that noise is really pissing me off, they all said it had to do with the hub, one said it was the bearing, the other said it was the hub and the other said the spindle, so im at a loss idk which it is, but forsure not the bearing because those are new

can this noise also be caused by a bad alignment? my alignment is soo effed up right now and i want to change whatever i have too before i go in and get an alignment, im catching up with all my maintenence this month so i want to get as much done as possible within 2 weeks
Kenny,
I think the first thing you need to do is isolate the source of noise. Since you have new his bearings installed I doubt its coming from there. Personally I think its your brakes/pad shims needing cleaning service/lubrication. I'm basing my opinion on past experience and not YOUR vehicle diagnosis.

Best way to isolate the issue is to go to rent-a-bay or have one of your mechanics place the vehicle on the hoist and have an assistant put it in gear and replicate the same action in which you experience the noise when you are behind the wheel but on the hoist.

Can you post a close up clear shot of your brakes on that side. Take off caliper if you can and let me see the rotor on inside and outside as well as the contacts where the pad meets the shims?
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 PM   Thread Starter #3

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by BurntOrangeAppeal View Post
Kenny,
I think the first thing you need to do is isolate the source of noise. Since you have new his bearings installed I doubt its coming from there. Personally I think its your brakes/pad shims needing cleaning service/lubrication. I'm basing my opinion on past experience and not YOUR vehicle diagnosis.

Best way to isolate the issue is to go to rent-a-bay or have one of your mechanics place the vehicle on the hoist and have an assistant put it in gear and replicate the same action in which you experience the noise when you are behind the wheel but on the hoist.

Can you post a close up clear shot of your brakes on that side. Take off caliper if you can and let me see the rotor on inside and outside as well as the contacts where the pad meets the shims?
unfortunately i dont know how to take my caliper off i can send you a picture of my actual brake close up though, i wish i could get the video but i have noone to record it while i drive, and mechanics wont let me in the bay for safety reasons, i dont know how to post the noise, but its a loud whining noise when i apply the brakes, and on the freeway at high speed i can here the rear wheels making a chirping sound kinda like a bird chirping, if it was the brakes, what would i have to change, just the pads? or the rotors too?

Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

If the noise is isolated to the rotation of the wheel, and NOT the brakes, I can't see how it would be anything other than a wheel bearing. The hub spins ON THE BEARING...the bearing is what moves. If you are sure that it isn't a wheel bearing, I would start looking over the brakes.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:13 PM   Thread Starter #5

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
If the noise is isolated to the rotation of the wheel, and NOT the brakes, I can't see how it would be anything other than a wheel bearing. The hub spins ON THE BEARING...the bearing is what moves. If you are sure that it isn't a wheel bearing, I would start looking over the brakes.
But if it was the wheel bearing wouldn't it make a noise at all times? Mine only chirps and squeals when I apply the brakes, but it doesn't sound like your average "worn pads" sound it's just really high pitched squealing

Last edited by Kenny; 01-30-2013 at 06:18 PM.