Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:23 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 14687

Reputation Level: 0
maximus8u is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Whats Between The Dust Shield And The Rotor

heard grinding metal sound when i was driving home, jacked the car took off the wheel.. everything seemed fine till i tried to spine the rotor and was having difficulty, heard like grinding metal sound … checked behind the dust shield and theres all this bent metal … tried to get the bracket off but it was like the bolt from hell… my question is … whats suppose to be between the shield and the rotor ?? a friend of mine was helping me and he seems to think it has something to do with the parking brake .. which i never use lol by the way its the passenger rear wheel … pads look good aswell as the rotor minus a little bit of rust
maximus8u is offline   Send a private message to maximus8u Find more posts by maximus8u Add maximus8u to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2014, 05:48 AM   #2
Official Member

Official Member #: 14402

Reputation Level: 6
Terrentius is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: whats between the dust shield and the rotor ?

Soak the bolt with PB Blaster and let it sit for a day before removal. Any rear bolts need penetrating oil or you'll risk breaking them.

If you don't use your parking break, then it is probably seizing up on you. Hence, the grinding sound. I use my parking brake every time I turn off the car. (1) It will save it from seizing up, and (2) takes the weight of the vehicle of the flywheel if your car is an automatic.
Terrentius is offline   Send a private message to Terrentius Find more posts by Terrentius Add Terrentius to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2014, 02:02 PM   Thread Starter #3

thanks a lot … got it off it was the parking brake between the shield and the rotor … the shit was mangled lol ripped of the existing dust shield gonna have to get a new one however super relieved it wasn't anything major… thanks for all the help...
maximus8u is offline   Send a private message to maximus8u Find more posts by maximus8u Add maximus8u to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2014, 02:03 PM   Thread Starter #4

thanks a lot … got it off it was the parking brake between the shield and the rotor … the shit was mangled lol ripped of the existing dust shield gonna have to get a new one however super relieved it wasn't anything major… thanks for all the help...
Old 01-07-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
Official Member

Official Member #: 14402

Reputation Level: 6
Terrentius is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Whats Between The Dust Shield And The Rotor

It was all you, bro. Nice work.
Terrentius is offline   Send a private message to Terrentius Find more posts by Terrentius Add Terrentius to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top