Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:45 AM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 1245

Reputation Level: 9
sonicview is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Very Odd Problem In Winter

Hi Guys,

As most of you knows that i got my 07 Maxima few months back. Never faced this problem before, but if you know then in east coast we had lot of snow, the same night one of my friend got stuck in NYC, so he called me and while driving there, at the traffic light i had to push the brake, i was not driving fast say only 20 miles/hour and i heard very bad cranking noise from the brake system, also my brake pedal was moving up and down by itself, even though i had my foot over it and i felt the upward push. It was like on and off kind of mechanism, so i hear the sound and push for a part of second and nothing then again i hear and feel the sound and push. It was sounding as if something came under the car and being dragged with it. I thought it is because of the snow accumulated under the car, as i parked outside, and when my friend called me for the help, then i just cleaned the snow around the car, so that i can pull it out from the big pile of snow, but i did not clean the snow under the car, so i thought may be snow is accumulated under my car, close to the engine room or some brake motor (sorry i don't know how the ABS works, i think there may be some motor :-) ). Any way then i thought lets just drive and brake for few times so that snow will fall. Don't know what happen or what was the reason, may be snow or freezing temperature or whatever it fixed the problem until yesterday night when i was driving from Boston to NJ, while passing through NYC in the night (driving around 25 mile per hour), when traffic light came i had to stop, and same thing happened again. This time it was scary because car was not stopping and doing like stop and roll and stop and roll and same again and again even though i pushed the brake pedal all the way down, also the same way my brake pedal was going crazy, it was trying to push it up and i was trying to push it down. Also both the time i heard the sound of some motor or rotor's rotation, i think that is ABS motor but it sound like as if it is trying to work/rotate very hard?
Today i drove my car in the day, but did not face this problem at all.
What do you guys think about this problem? Do you think it is common in winter, may be brake oil freezed or may be because of snow or something else?
By the way at any speed if i push the brake smoothly then car also slows down smoothly. Problem is happening only if i try to stop the car all of sudden, may be in other word when ABS activates, or ABS always works when some one push the brake.

Thanks
Rick

EDIT : I just read this online " You will feel a pulsing in the pedal that may be quite violent, but this is normal so don't let off the brake. " This is my first car with the ABS and may be what i felt was normal, because ABS activated due to the snow on the road and i didn't know what to do when i felt the upward push from the pedal and weird noiced. May be i should have pushed the pedal very hard. Don't know may be i am wrong.

This is not my video but the sound is same as this guy is getting in snow...
!

Last edited by sonicview; 12-31-2010 at 03:13 AM.
sonicview is offline   Send a private message to sonicview Find more posts by sonicview Add sonicview to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Banned

Official Member #: 328

My Awards:
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

/ Point Value: 10

Default Re: Very odd problem in winter

It isn't a common problem man. I got a 07 too and never had that type of thing happen to me. Take it a mechanic ASAP or you can wait til you need a oil change and take it to the dealership. They usually check everything out and I would just mention that to them and see what they say.
sonicview (12-31-2010)
maximus is banned   Send a private message to maximus Find more posts by maximus Add maximus to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

What your describing sounds like how the ABS system is supposed to work. When you step on the brakes and the wheels slip, the ABS system will pump the brakes for you. You will get pulsing in the brake pedal and you will hear the brakes "chattering". DO NOT let go of the pedal, otherwise you are defeating what the system was meant to do. With ABS, when the system kicks in, your car will keep rolling. That's the whole point of ABS...to keep your wheels from locking up. If you can find some nice, dry pavement, then try some braking on that. If it still happens, then you have a problem. If it is only happening on snow/icy roads, then you are feeling the ABS system activating...nothing to worry about.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Administrator

Official Member #: 75

Reputation Level: 20
Qwikhas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post
What your describing sounds like how the ABS system is supposed to work. When you step on the brakes and the wheels slip, the ABS system will pump the brakes for you. You will get pulsing in the brake pedal and you will hear the brakes "chattering". DO NOT let go of the pedal, otherwise you are defeating what the system was meant to do. With ABS, when the system kicks in, your car will keep rolling. That's the whole point of ABS...to keep your wheels from locking up. If you can find some nice, dry pavement, then try some braking on that. If it still happens, then you have a problem. If it is only happening on snow/icy roads, then you are feeling the ABS system activating...nothing to worry about.
Yeah Hawaii is right, sounds like ABS
sonicview (12-31-2010)
Qwikhas is offline   Send a private message to Qwikhas Find more posts by Qwikhas Add Qwikhas to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #5

Official Member #: 1

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube
Default Re: Very Odd Problem In Winter

As hawaii said, its your ABS working.

Go inside an indoor mall garage and drive around. You should not hear the ABS kick in at that point. If you do then its a problem. If not you're ok.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
sonicview (12-31-2010)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Premier Member

Official Member #: 89

Reputation Level: 44
DAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the roughDAlastDON is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Nothing wrong with the car. Thats what happens when the ABS kicks in. Try and negotiate your stops on slick roads better so you do not hurt yourself or others. Not saying your a bad driver. Just need more time to adapt your driving habits to the road conditions.

Inside Peanutbutter Outside Jelly
sonicview (12-31-2010)
DAlastDON is offline   Send a private message to DAlastDON Find more posts by DAlastDON Add DAlastDON to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 02:30 PM   Thread Starter #7
Official Member

Thanks you all for your suggestions. I will now try to drive my car in clear road or inside the indoor garage mall. Though i have been driving my car from last 2 months and during normal weather condition it did not happened. So as every one said it is most probably ABS which kicks in during the icy road. I have to learn to drive the car with ABS, without getting panic with the ABS activating phenomenon.
sonicview is offline   Send a private message to sonicview Find more posts by sonicview Add sonicview to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #8

Official Member #: 158

Reputation Level: 32
Hmax will become famous soon enoughHmax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:

You will be good man, as everyone says ABS is doing its job.

Want 12HP More?- CLICK HERE
sonicview (12-31-2010)
Hmax is offline   Send a private message to Hmax Find more posts by Hmax Add Hmax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

Official Ride  

Hey, look at the bright side...that means it's working!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:03 PM   #10

Official Member #: 1

EddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to beholdEddyMaxx is a splendid one to behold

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Visit EddyMaxx's Facebook Visit EddyMaxx's PS3 Profile Visit EddyMaxx's YouTube

Yeah the ABS kicking in is a very weird feeling. Makes you feel like something is really wrong while in reality its doing its job. Don't worry, we all had that feeling once.

6thgen 2014 Build Thread
sonicview (12-31-2010)
EddyMaxx is offline   Send a private message to EddyMaxx Find more posts by EddyMaxx Add EddyMaxx to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 10:16 PM   Thread Starter #11
Official Member

But honestly, i got scared that something is wrong and i was cursing myself that why did i pulled out my car in the snow I was more worried about the expensive repairs. But thank god this all happened when no one was in front of me, otherwise i would have hit them, because of my awareness about the ABS phenomenon. Now i know that this is ABS, i have to push the pedal as hard as i can so that ABS don't get confuse and work as it is suppose to do.