Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:37 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 822

Reputation Level: 0
callisto is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
Default Stiff Steering

Well, as the title says, my steering is stiff and hard to turn. Happens occasionally, seemingly at random.

It started doing this a couple weeks ago, and at first it was very random and went away after a little more driving. Lately, though, it's been happening more often, and has been getting worse. And by worse I mean harder and harder to turn the wheel.

Just this afternoon I did a power steering flush, turkey baster style. I emptied and refilled the reservoir 12 times, until it was clearer than it was at the beginning. When I started it was black, and you couldn't see through it. By the end it was a very light caramel color. At first it seemed pretty good, but then I felt it get slightly stiff. Then it went away. Then it got really stiff. So I went back home and parked it.

Is this a sign that the steering pump is bad? How can I find out? Are there any belts? I also know that my front suspension is screwed. Could anything with the suspension be causing the stiff steering?

My Maxima is a 2005 SE.

Thanks.
callisto is offline   Send a private message to callisto Find more posts by callisto Add callisto to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

/ Point Value: 5

Default Re: Stiff Steering

If you don't see any leaks, it sure seems like the pump is bad. Even if the fluid is bad, the lump should still have some effectiveness.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #3
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Could it be the rack and pinion?

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 PM   Thread Starter #4

Official Member #: 822

Reputation Level: 0
callisto is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, the other thing is that I live on a very bumpy dirt road. My front suspension is completely ruined. Thumping and bumping and banging. A couple times I heard a loud crack. Could that have been something mechanical breaking in the steering? Would that cause "occasional" stiffness?
callisto is offline   Send a private message to callisto Find more posts by callisto Add callisto to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
Queen's Official 6.5 Gen
Donating Member

Official Member #: 40

Reputation Level: 31
I3LAZEN will become famous soon enoughI3LAZEN will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

I would say the pump is bad. If it was the rack & pinion... then you must have really screwed it up for it to damage that... and if you did.... expect a lot of $ to be spent....

Id prob get the pump checkd though... take it to a shop and have them take a look at it to diagnose and find the issue.
I3LAZEN is offline   Send a private message to I3LAZEN Find more posts by I3LAZEN Add I3LAZEN to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #6
Premier Member

Official Member #: 1114

Reputation Level: 18
05SilverMax will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

I had a similar problem and had the U-Joint replaced within the steering shaft, it made it extremely hard to turn specifically at 3 pm and 9 pm.
05SilverMax is offline   Send a private message to 05SilverMax Find more posts by 05SilverMax Add 05SilverMax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #7
Official Member

Official Member #: 2407

Reputation Level: 9
R3DM4X is an unknown quantity at this point

my boy had the same problem with his 02 accord
he just put a bottle of lucas steering fluid thingy and 30 mintutes of driving it went back to normal lol
R3DM4X is offline   Send a private message to R3DM4X Find more posts by R3DM4X Add R3DM4X to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2011, 04:52 AM   #8
East LA's Official 6th Gen Maxima

Official Member #: 206

Reputation Level: 15
georgelv1999 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 05SilverMax View Post
I had a similar problem and had the U-Joint replaced within the steering shaft, it made it extremely hard to turn specifically at 3 pm and 9 pm.
I have to agree with this. My in-laws have an Altima that was in an accident and the front was messed up. They changed the steering shaft but not the U joint. When I drove the car I felt the steering was hard, with an occasional knocking at aprox 9 and 3. Have someone turn the steering wheel and look at the U joint, see if it moves.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #9
Premier Member

Official Member #: 211

Reputation Level: 42
NiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura aboutNiZMo1o1 has a spectacular aura about

Participation Level: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

When you did the flush and refill , did you have someone turn the steering wheel to furthest LEFT , then furthest RIGHT ? you need to keep doing this back and fourth for 10 mins.

If you are outside, watch the resevoir and see if theres any bubbles, ( not boiling ) if you see airpockets when your turning the wheel your basically pushing the air (bleeding it )

then you should see the fluids bubbling/moving then the power steering pump if fine.

assuming you have no leaks,

I assume the belts are fine , and no leaks .. if thats fine the next step is the rack and pinion
NiZMo1o1 is offline   Send a private message to NiZMo1o1 Find more posts by NiZMo1o1 Add NiZMo1o1 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top