Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:43 AM   Thread Starter #1
Donating Member

my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 534

Reputation Level: 16
lake29 will become famous soon enough

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

/ Point Value: 10

Default Spring/Summer Suspension Project

First off I want to thank everybody for always helping when I have questions, I am not that mechanically inclined. So, I have been reading on the site about springs, coilovers, and shocks/struts and I am really confused. I donít know what I need for my project this summer. I want a little better of a ride then I currently have. Plus the back sits lower about three inches. I measured from the top of the wheel well down. I may want to lower it, but the roads in my town suck big time. And then what happens when I want to raise the car? So, any help anyone has I would really appreciate it.
lake29 is offline   Send a private message to lake29 Find more posts by lake29 Add lake29 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 63

Reputation Level: 58
1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

V.I.P Member  

/ Point Value: 15

Spotlight Ride Of The Month  

/ Point Value: 5

Official Ride  

Default Re: Spring/Summer Suspension Project

Originally Posted by lake29 View Post
First off I want to thank everybody for always helping when I have questions, I am not that mechanically inclined. So, I have been reading on the site about springs, coilovers, and shocks/struts and I am really confused. I donít know what I need for my project this summer. I want a little better of a ride then I currently have. Plus the back sits lower about three inches. I measured from the top of the wheel well down. I may want to lower it, but the roads in my town suck big time. And then what happens when I want to raise the car? So, any help anyone has I would really appreciate it.
First,
You DON'T measure from the wheel wells. The front fenders are "cut" higher than the rear fenders to allow for suspension travel and the turning of the wheels. You measure from the rocker panels, just behind the front wheel, and just ahead of the rear wheel. I'm guessing that your stance is even. Mine was perfectly even, but looking at the wheel wells, the front looked higher.

Second,
If you plan on raising/lowering the suspension, you're going to need coilovers. Coilovers, however, do not play nice with road salt. You should also know that anytime you change/raise/lower your suspension, that you are going to need to have the car aligned. Otherwise, you are going to chew through tires like nobody's business. My buddy bought coilovers thinking he would raise the car in the winter, then lower it again in the spring. We set it up when we installed them, and he's never touched it again. Keep that in mind in your decision.

As far as struts go, you are pretty limited to either:
KYB GR-2, or Monroe Sensa-Trac.

Most guys seem to go with the GR-2 (myself included), but a couple members here are running the Sensa-Trac.

With springs, the major players are Tein, Progress, and Eibach. There are other companies making springs, but these three seem to be the main players. There are numerous threads here on coilovers and spring/struts. Grab something cold to drink, take a seat, and hit the search button!

I had initially thought about coilovers, but I figured that I wouldn't want to be constantly adjusting the suspension and then dropping another $100 for an alignment each time. The roads here in NE Ohio are pretty rough, and the winters are brutal. I stuck with GR-2/Progress setup.

Comments

Excellent post
Old 01-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
Quicksilver

Official Member #: 138

Reputation Level: 50
RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

Very well said Don, if I may add some more info though. This is what I did when I had my coil-overs on my other cars and what I will do when I get them for this car.

To take the factory suspension off is fairly easy if you don't have to mess with removing springs, in this case you wont so it will be easier. Rear is cake. Anyway, you keep your stock suspension for winter and coiovers or whatever suspension you will go with for summer. What Im saying is this:

You go buy new struts/shocks, new springs and upper mounts on the front for lowered springs set up and coil-overs for the other. You assemble your lowered suspension to where it's just ready to put in.

It takes me 30 minutes to remove all my suspension and 30 minutes to put it back. Sometimes faster. In the summer you run your lowered set up and when winter approaches you swap the suspension out.

As far as the alignment deal. You go and ask fr lifetime alignment at any shop that does alignment or your local dealer. It will be like 160 - 200 the most. With that, you can have an alignment done any time for life. It cost a little more at first but it will save you in the long run. This is how I do things and have a nice lowered vehicle in the summer and back to stock in the winter. I will not spend 1000 bucks on coil-overs and have them in salt, that's just dumb and it's too easy not to swap suspension out just like you would with wheels. Doesn't take very long. That's all for now.
RAZ76 is offline   Send a private message to RAZ76 Find more posts by RAZ76 Add RAZ76 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
Official Member

Official Member #: 1070

Reputation Level: 10
Kevinw11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great explanation...lol
Kevinw11 is offline   Send a private message to Kevinw11 Find more posts by Kevinw11 Add Kevinw11 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
Always For Self

Official Member #: 50

Reputation Level: 18
craze is on a distinguished road

My Awards:
Honorable Ride  

Visit craze's Facebook Visit craze's PS3 Profile

So you basically change your springs every summer/winter....
Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
DatDude Dara

Official Member #: 91

Reputation Level: 24
Blaxima06 will become famous soon enough

Don & Raz - great explaination. I went with Progress Springs with Monroe Sensa-Trac. IMO, unless you have a winter beater or REALLY take care of the coilovers during the winter. Springs with shocks/struts is still a good route.

Click the image to open in full size.
Originally Posted by BLKMAGIC View Post
I only do stuff if I score lol
Originally Posted by chemax View Post
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH FINISHING FAST.
Blaxima06 is offline   Send a private message to Blaxima06 Find more posts by Blaxima06 Add Blaxima06 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #7

Official Member #: 492

Reputation Level: 10
swanginmaxx419 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

on my car i did have to remove the rear spring with my coils. when spring was still in the car was bouncy ass hell till they were removed. i just recently went back stock.
swanginmaxx419 is offline   Send a private message to swanginmaxx419 Find more posts by swanginmaxx419 Add swanginmaxx419 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
Senior Moderator

1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about1hawaii50 has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Ray,

I asked my dealer about lifetime alignments...they said no...go figure? I wanted it when I had them put tires on my wife's Altima. For what they charged me for the tires, they should have thrown it in.

Ray's idea is excellent...as long as you are religious about swapping the parts each season AND getting the alignment. As I said, my buddy got coilovers for his GTi, thinking he could raise/lower the car for summer/winter, and it took him so long to set it up the way he wanted it, that he hasn't touched it since. He told me the other day, that he wishes he would have just done springs/struts/shocks.

Last edited by 1hawaii50; 01-19-2011 at 04:54 PM.
1hawaii50 is offline   Send a private message to 1hawaii50 Find more posts by 1hawaii50 Add 1hawaii50 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2011, 04:52 AM   Thread Starter #9
Donating Member

Official Member #: 534

Reputation Level: 16
lake29 will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

If I only had an extra $3,000 laying around, I would get these!

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Ksp...System/808473/
lake29 is offline   Send a private message to lake29 Find more posts by lake29 Add lake29 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #10

Official Member #: 387

Reputation Level: 11
BossQ is an unknown quantity at this point

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

After reading all this I have one question.. Im considering lowering on Progress springs but can that be done without changing from the factory shocks/struts? I will look at replacing those down the road because for now they are treating me fine.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
Donating Member

Official Member #: 86

Reputation Level: 25
Max Power will become famous soon enoughMax Power will become famous soon enough

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Visit Max Power's YouTube

Originally Posted by balla7733 View Post
After reading all this I have one question.. Im considering lowering on Progress springs but can that be done without changing from the factory shocks/struts? I will look at replacing those down the road because for now they are treating me fine.
Yes, lots of members have done this.
Max Power is offline   Send a private message to Max Power Find more posts by Max Power Add Max Power to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #12
Senior Moderator

Official Member #: 140

Reputation Level: 51
Chemax has a spectacular aura aboutChemax has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Yes, lots of members have done this.
Yup yup, that's what I did.

mmm.... chorizo
-csiepka
Chemax is offline   Send a private message to Chemax Find more posts by Chemax Add Chemax to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #13
Senior Moderator

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

V.I.P Member  

Official Ride  

Originally Posted by balla7733 View Post
How many miles are on your car? Factory shocks/struts are only rated for 50K-60K miles. GR-2's are cheap enough...it would be easiest to do it all at the same time.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:32 AM   #14
Banned

Official Member #: 328

My Awards:

Originally Posted by lake29 View Post
If I only had an extra $3,000 laying around, I would get these!

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Ksp...System/808473/
I want that kit one day too but I heard that maintenance is a B!!
maximus is banned   Send a private message to maximus Find more posts by maximus Add maximus to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top

Tags
coilovers, eibach, lowering springs, monroe, progress, tein

Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes