Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:21 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 2207

Reputation Level: 0
cheech80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Spring Compression

Hey guys. So i need some help. I was attempting to change out the strut last night. i borrowed the spring compressors from autozone but i must have put them on wrong because when i took the top nut off everything went flying, including me. luckily no damage to anything. i planned ahead and did it out in the open not near anyone or thing. so since i screwed that up, do i use the same compression tools to get the spring compressed again or is there something else i need to do? if so how do i know how much it needs to be compressed?
i am trying to do it my self if possible.

any info would be great.
cheech80 is offline   Send a private message to cheech80 Find more posts by cheech80 Add cheech80 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Spring Compression

Originally Posted by cheech80 View Post
Hey guys. So i need some help. I was attempting to change out the strut last night. i borrowed the spring compressors from autozone but i must have put them on wrong because when i took the top nut off everything went flying, including me. luckily no damage to anything. i planned ahead and did it out in the open not near anyone or thing. so since i screwed that up, do i use the same compression tools to get the spring compressed again or is there something else i need to do? if so how do i know how much it needs to be compressed?
i am trying to do it my self if possible.

any info would be great.
You post leads me to believe that you should not be attempting this at this point before you educate yourself or see it done by someone who knows what they are doing!

Thank God you are ok. I'm serious. Take he strut to someone that knows what they are doing. Most shops won't charge you much if you bring them the struts. Maybe someone in your area with a Max can help you out.

What is your location?
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
RAZ76 (07-19-2012), smittybizzle (07-19-2012)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2012, 01:42 PM   Thread Starter #3

i am in Tulsa oklahoma. this is definitely my first time doing suspension work like this. i have no problems asking for assistance with this. just need to get it done.
cheech80 is offline   Send a private message to cheech80 Find more posts by cheech80 Add cheech80 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Official Sweet Action 6.5gen

Official Member #: 117

Reputation Level: 66
Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

My Awards:
Official Ride  

/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube

@raz76 he is in OK and is incredibly knowledgeable.

i agree with Danski... if you almost had a strut go through your body, you should be thankful youre ok and consult some suspension gurus nearby.
BurntOrangeAppeal (07-19-2012), Kontra-vers-E (07-19-2012)
Nismo4Life07 is offline   Send a private message to Nismo4Life07 Find more posts by Nismo4Life07 Add Nismo4Life07 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Member of the Month (M.O.T.M)  

Honorable Ride  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Do you have stock springs? If so you have to compress them A LOT!! Compress them so you can easily spin the hat on the top of the assembly. If youre not sure if its enough...compress more. You were very lucky you werent working over them...

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
Glendales Official 6th Gen

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 36
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard

this is what happened, autozone spring compressors dont compress enough, how do i know? because when i was switching my car back to stock i compressed the stock springs to put them back in the struts and the spring didnt compress enough for the bolt at the top of the strut to screw in properly, our springs are too big for autozone compressors i know that as a fact speaking from experience. Youre best bet is to take it to a mechanic and just let them take it out for you, they shouldnt charge much, and can definitely keep you 100% safe from any injuries

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
Senior Citizen Moderator
6th Gen Official Pops

Official Member #: 2184

Reputation Level: 69
07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice07maximan is just really nice

Participation Level: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Awards:

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by kaygmaxima View Post
this is what happened, autozone spring compressors dont compress enough, how do i know? because when i was switching my car back to stock i compressed the stock springs to put them back in the struts and the spring didnt compress enough for the bolt at the top of the strut to screw in properly, our springs are too big for autozone compressors i know that as a fact speaking from experience. Youre best bet is to take it to a mechanic and just let them take it out for you, they shouldnt charge much, and can definitely keep you 100% safe from any injuries
Sorry, I have to disagree. Ive taken mine apart a t least a half a dozen times and all Ive used are Autozone compressors. They are definitely close but if you put it in the right spot on the spring it will work...trust me.

Originally Posted by dstruc View Post
Next week Omar is taking us walking through the projects. Alex is getting raped for sure.
07maximan is offline   Send a private message to 07maximan Find more posts by 07maximan Add 07maximan to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Official Sweet Action 6.5gen

Official Member #: 117

Reputation Level: 66
Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube

the autozone compressors worked perfect for me. no problems.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #9

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

AND another thing, NEVER EVER, remove a spring from a strut until the spring moves freely with the strut still bolted down, if the spring doesnt move inside the strut theres a huge chance there is still some compression in there, like i always say, better to be safe then sorry!!!

Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #10

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

07maximan, nismo4life07, maybe my autozone just had garbage compressors, when i used mine they were nowhere near compressed enough to put in the strut, and i compressed it as much as possible

Old 07-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
Official Member

Official Member #: 556

Reputation Level: 10
Cheeto is an unknown quantity at this point

You might not have compressed the spring enough which caused everything to go flying. Those spring compressors suck if you have to wrench it by hand.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:55 PM   Thread Starter #12

i do have the stock ones. dont worry. knowing i havent done this particular job before i took precautions. i was a mechanic in the army so i know when i am doing something stupid. i had my motorcycle helmet on and was undoing the nut from a squatted position. i may have looked funny but i sure wasnt about to die by strut.
thanks for the info. i will have to pm @RAZ76
Old 07-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
Quicksilver

Official Member #: 138

Reputation Level: 50
RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

i do have the stock ones. dont worry. knowing i havent done this particular job before i took precautions. i was a mechanic in the army so i know when i am doing something stupid. i had my motorcycle helmet on and was undoing the nut from a squatted position. i may have looked funny but i sure wasnt about to die by strut.
thanks for the info. i will have to pm @RAZ76

Whats up??
Old 07-19-2012, 02:08 PM   Thread Starter #14

raz, are you familiar with the Tulsa area? as you see from the thread i need some knowledge. do you have some info on a local place to take my setup so it can get compressed?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
Quicksilver

RAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the roughRAZ76 is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

i am in Tulsa oklahoma. this is definitely my first time doing suspension work like this. i have no problems asking for assistance with this. just need to get it done.
Is there a reason why you didn't contact me and make the hour drive and let me do it for you??? I have guys drive 8 to 9 hours to come see me and work on their cars. You can get seriously hurt with springs if you don't know what you're doing dude.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
Quicksilver

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

No offense bro but it's not because they came from Autozone. If you don't know where to place them and torque them down, you may have issues. Just think of it like this, this springs are made to hold a 3400lb car, that is a lot of force if one of those compressed springs come loose. Its not joke and people have died.

Changing brakes is one thing, you fuck up, you start over , maybe buy some more parts. You fuck up with a spring and it could be over for eternity.
RAZ76 is offline   Send a private message to RAZ76 Find more posts by RAZ76 Add RAZ76 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #17
Quicksilver

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

raz, are you familiar with the Tulsa area? as you see from the thread i need some knowledge. do you have some info on a local place to take my setup so it can get compressed?
Any auto shop should be able to. Pepboys, places like that.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 PM   Thread Starter #18

thanks for the info. had i known about you before i would have definitely made the drive out to you. the bad thing is that the max is out of commission right now. the wife hit a median and popped both right side tires and bent the shock. thats what started this. so once i get the part back together and in, i have alignment issues to deal with. but that i will definitely take to the pros.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
Quicksilver

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

thanks for the info. had i known about you before i would have definitely made the drive out to you. the bad thing is that the max is out of commission right now. the wife hit a median and popped both right side tires and bent the shock. thats what started this. so once i get the part back together and in, i have alignment issues to deal with. but that i will definitely take to the pros.
If she hit hard enough to bend the strut, you may have other issues too, like bent control arm and mounts. Might wanna check.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:18 PM   Thread Starter #20

thanks. i will have to go through everything and make sure. this is what the strut looked like once i got it out. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
Quicksilver

My Awards:

Banner of The Month  

Official Ride  

thanks. i will have to go through everything and make sure. this is what the strut looked like once i got it out. Click the image to open in full size.
She could have also done damage to the strut tower. I have seen that a lot with people hitting curbs.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:55 PM   Thread Starter #22

i will make sure and check everything or have it checked. i really do appreciate all the info. love the forums.