Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:25 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 7254

Reputation Level: 0
benjie is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Snapping Bolts

So, I got my 04 Max in January and I've been aware that there was some maintenance that needs to be done so I ordered some parts and tried to change my sway bar bushings and snapped a bolt on the right side. changed the bushing and made plans to have it tack welded on the following day. I noticed that the subframe had a lot of rust on it. (adds to list of things to buy). I then tried to change the sway bar end link for the same side and had difficulty removing the bolt at the sway bar. Put a 19 mm wrench on it and then put a 17mm box wrench and got no movement. Tried a 1/2" socket with a longer arm, got nothing. Went to a snapon cordless impact and it warped the nut. It literally looked like some superhuman twisted the nut. It felt like the nut was fused to the sway bar. Took it to my buddies shop the next day and sawzall and a cold chisel got it out. I even tried an extractor for rounded bolts with a breaker bar when i got it on a lift and it basically peeled the nut. It feels like someone was welding all the nuts and bolts to the subframe.

I'm going to buy a new subframe and some new nuts and bolts for everything that I think I might have problems with. Basically I'm getting all new nuts and bolts for everything attached to the subframe. When it comes in, I'm going to paint it with either rustoleum or por15 and hope and pray that it keeps the rust at bay for a decent amount of time. I'm really starting to hate the salt they put down in the north. I would like to blame the rust but I'm starting to think someone applied heat to the car and fused some stuff together. Unfortunately I will probably never find out.

PS. Do not and I repeat do not buy autozone brand sway bar end links. The pain in the ass ones with the allen key suck.
benjie is offline   Send a private message to benjie Find more posts by benjie Add benjie to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 5783

Reputation Level: 7
vicz.adriano is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Snapping Bolts

Why did u have to replace the sway bar & end links & bushings? Idk wat it is but my suspension/undercarriage whatever its called squeaks a lot when going over small bumps and uneven roads did this happen to you? Or something
vicz.adriano is offline   Send a private message to vicz.adriano Find more posts by vicz.adriano Add vicz.adriano to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top