Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:58 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 7515

Reputation Level: 7
Sandwichmixto is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Should I Lower My 6thgen

I plan on investing a 20" setup up from my current 18s. Is it guaranteed that my ride will look too high? If so- should I be getting a lowering springs, coilovers or what?

Also, how effective are sway bars on a 6thgen? I know first hand the sway can be a little much.

Are there any 6thgen Maxima-specific reasons not to lower your car?

My goal is essentially to improve grounding / sway reduction / handling for the best price possible. I have no intentions for any track use, and I don't want to drop the car too much so that potholes and uneven road become a big problem.

Thanks in advance.
Sandwichmixto is offline   Send a private message to Sandwichmixto Find more posts by Sandwichmixto Add Sandwichmixto to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
I Am Just A Man

Official Member #: 175

Reputation Level: 20
Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Participation Level: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Default Re: Should I Lower My 6thgen

Wheels should make your car look "high" unless you'll be running 22's+.

Lowering your car is a good investment to improve handling, traction, etc, if your streets allow you to. Come neighborhoods have bad potholes, so not everyone will choose to lower their cars. If you are planning on lowering, my advice is not to waste money on springs/shocks/struts, save up and get coilovers. A used set can run you anywhere from $400-800, depending on brand.

Welcome to the family.

Currently Own: 2004 Silver 6th Gen / 2009 White 7th Gen / 2011 Black 7th Gen

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
dennyrosario05 (08-24-2014), Sandwichmixto (07-29-2013), Simplyred06 (07-26-2014)
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
I Am Just A Man

Deadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the roughDeadbolt is a jewel in the rough

Lowering your car is a good investment to improve handling, traction, etc, if your streets allow you to. Come neighborhoods have bad potholes, so not everyone will choose to lower their cars. If you are planning on lowering, my advice is not to waste money on springs/shocks/struts, save up and get coilovers. A used set can run you anywhere from $400-800, depending on brand.

Welcome to the family.

Disclaimer: By being a member of my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org, you acknowledge and agree that if no pics are posted within 24 hours of any installed modification, you can, and will, be automaticly BANNED for 48 hours.
Deadbolt is offline   Send a private message to Deadbolt Find more posts by Deadbolt Add Deadbolt to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2013, 02:25 AM   Thread Starter #4

Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post

Welcome to the family.
Why is it that you recommend coilovers rather than springs/shocks/struts?
Sandwichmixto is offline   Send a private message to Sandwichmixto Find more posts by Sandwichmixto Add Sandwichmixto to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Official Sweet Action 6.5gen

Official Member #: 117

Reputation Level: 66
Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Official Ride  

/ Point Value: 10

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

/ Point Value: 5

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube

Originally Posted by Sandwichmixto View Post
Why is it that you recommend coilovers rather than springs/shocks/struts?
For the ability to raise and lower at your convenience.

Although if you have a tight budget, springs are the way to go unless you wanna slam the car.

Springs will run you about $150 for the set. They usually lower the car about 1.5-2 inches in the front and .75-1 inch in the rear.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:18 PM   Thread Starter #6

Originally Posted by Nismo4Life07 View Post
For the ability to raise and lower at your convenience.

Although if you have a tight budget, springs are the way to go unless you wanna slam the car.

Springs will run you about $150 for the set. They usually lower the car about 1.5-2 inches in the front and .75-1 inch in the rear.
Slam the car?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #7

Nismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the roughNismo4Life07 is a jewel in the rough

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

Visit Nismo4Life07's Facebook Visit Nismo4Life07's PS3 Profile Visit Nismo4Life07's YouTube

Slam the car?
Drop the car super low. Usually means dropping the car a good 6" or so.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 PM   Thread Starter #8

Ahh I see, yeah not the plan. Roads around here aren't that permitting. What coilovers do you suggest?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #9

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

BC coilovers
Dos80 (07-06-2014)
Nismo4Life07 is offline   Send a private message to Nismo4Life07 Find more posts by Nismo4Life07 Add Nismo4Life07 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
I Am Just A Man

Ahh I see, yeah not the plan. Roads around here aren't that permitting. What coilovers do you suggest?
Having coilovers doesn't mean you HAVE to slam your car. It gives you the ability to adjust the quality of ride (damper adjustment) and height as well, based in your own preference. You can raise it when you want, and lower it when you want. $500ish for used set plus $200ish install is a good investment that'll last you for years.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:45 AM   #11
Glendales Official 6th Gen

Official Member #: 2651

Reputation Level: 35
Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about

My Awards:
Supporting Family Member  

Most Valuable Poster (MVP)  

Visit Kenny's PS3 Profile Visit Kenny's Xbox Gamercard

just get air suspension

no in all seriousness if you have the money for it go for it, its the best investment i ever made on my z, other than that coilovers are the way to go...theyre so damn convenient

Follow Me On Instagram/Twitter:@0mg350z
Kenny is offline   Send a private message to Kenny Find more posts by Kenny Add Kenny to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2014, 01:53 AM   #12
Official Member

Official Member #: 1646

Reputation Level: 11
emilbadal is on a distinguished road

should you lower your car? NO, I did it and tons of things started to go wrong.
1- 20-45 mph vibration(it is bound to happen if lowered)
2- harsher ride
3- more and more shit will start to rattle inside your car
4-alignment will not be at its best
5- you will put more pressure on the axles and the boots will tear faster
6- You will put more pressure on the engine mounts, because your axle shafts won't be working at the engineered angle(every geometry in the suspension and motor alignment changes)

be honest to your self(Not only OP, but whoever that looks for answers). Are you driving your car around track that you need less body roll? if no, then you don't need better handling than what you have
listen , the car will look better, but that's the only advantage you would get. After a year you will wish that you didn't lower it. Maximas handling is great at its stock mode. With lower stiffer suspension, your car will bounce off every bump on the road especially in higher speed turns which with stock it won't do it usually(unless you drive like a lunatic)

I regret lowering the car, and I'm almost on the verge selling it, because of the harshness and vibrations.
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #13
Official Member

Official Member #: 7004

Dos80 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had my BC's for about 3yrs and they still work the same when I first put them on. Ok true about the axles but that only happened coz I was too low. When I did the 6speed swap I never had that issue anymore coz of the MT axles. When I first put them on it was a 3' drop on my stock SL 17's way too low for our car's. I later got some staggered 19's and raised it about an 1 1/2 thus leveling the axles so they are straight and not pointing up. With 20's you should be good with BC's at all points coz what u want is to fill that gap between the finder and tire and to eliminate that high nose and rear sag look that our cars come with. I say go for the BC coils with the 20's and when you put them on from there you can decide your Max's stance. Personally I built my Max to perform so coming out of a 50mph turn @100 is pretty impressive and fun as f*#%! Our cars are ass heavy so with out being set up correctly can be catastrophic when you think your outhere wiping around and you think your car can handle this turn coming up untill you realize that the ass is about to do you dirty! But it all depends on how you like to drive. I have a love for circuit instead of strait forward drag so I set my Max up to perform like so and when I have time I like to rip the track and then hit the high way and see those who think they can get left behind.lol I'm not saying I'm the fastest tho but.......
Old 07-06-2014, 08:16 AM   #14
Official Member

BC also offers different springs soft and stiff. If you find the ride to be a bit harsh you can go for the swift springs witch are designed for comfort.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #15
Official Member

Originally Posted by Dos80 View Post
I've had my BC's for about 3yrs and they still work the same when I first put them on. Ok true about the axles but that only happened coz I was too low. When I did the 6speed swap I never had that issue anymore coz of the MT axles. When I first put them on it was a 3' drop on my stock SL 17's way too low for our car's. I later got some staggered 19's and raised it about an 1 1/2 thus leveling the axles so they are straight and not pointing up. With 20's you should be good with BC's at all points coz what u want is to fill that gap between the finder and tire and to eliminate that high nose and rear sag look that our cars come with. I say go for the BC coils with the 20's and when you put them on from there you can decide your Max's stance. Personally I built my Max to perform so coming out of a 50mph turn @100 is pretty impressive and fun as f*#%! Our cars are ass heavy so with out being set up correctly can be catastrophic when you think your outhere wiping around and you think your car can handle this turn coming up untill you realize that the ass is about to do you dirty! But it all depends on how you like to drive. I have a love for circuit instead of strait forward drag so I set my Max up to perform like so and when I have time I like to rip the track and then hit the high way and see those who think they can get left behind.lol I'm not saying I'm the fastest tho but.......

I absolutely don't have any clue what might been the difference between the manual and automatic trans out put shaft heights, but since you have done the swap, and it worked for you, I am very happy for you buddy. But gotta remember not everyone can afford spending 4-6 grand on a trans swap. Also there's a point that you mentioned , that I think needs correction, is the change of the diameter could change the geometry of the axles. Usually, if you want to change to bigger rims like from 17 to 20, you should reduce the profile of the tire to keep the overall diameter of the tire very close to the original stock size.(just to be clear, I didn't follow this rule and I'm paying the consequences. My tire's diameter are almost 4.5% bigger than the stock setup, which threw off my speedometer by 3MPH, There's another problem also that associates with this that I will explain at the end.) Anyway, once you chose the correct tire size, the relationship of the rim's center and the axle to the ground will not change. Now to the big issue of mine:

The bigger issue of a wrong speedometer, is that the car constantly monitors its speed and the revs of the engine and the trans output shaft and calculates the best and correct response to whatever you are doing with the gas pedal. So once the tire is larger than what is standard, The output shaft sensor reads less revs therefore the car can't response correctly to your input. My car right now suffers from lack of throttle response and also transmission delay in downshifts, because of the same reason. Mismatch between the engine revs and output shaft revs)

I admit it, I ruined my car's performance by lowering it, And once this term ends, I will return it to original height, because the vibration is so annoying after a long period that I almost sold the car the other day.
emilbadal is offline   Send a private message to emilbadal Find more posts by emilbadal Add emilbadal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #16
Official Member

Originally Posted by emilbadal View Post
I absolutely don't have any clue what might been the difference between the manual and automatic trans out put shaft heights, but since you have done the swap, and it worked for you, I am very happy for you buddy. But gotta remember not everyone can afford spending 4-6 grand on a trans swap. Also there's a point that you mentioned , that I think needs correction, is the change of the diameter could change the geometry of the axles. Usually, if you want to change to bigger rims like from 17 to 20, you should reduce the profile of the tire to keep the overall diameter of the tire very close to the original stock size.(just to be clear, I didn't follow this rule and I'm paying the consequences. My tire's diameter are almost 4.5% bigger than the stock setup, which threw off my speedometer by 3MPH, There's another problem also that associates with this that I will explain at the end.) Anyway, once you chose the correct tire size, the relationship of the rim's center and the axle to the ground will not change. Now to the big issue of mine:

The bigger issue of a wrong speedometer, is that the car constantly monitors its speed and the revs of the engine and the trans output shaft and calculates the best and correct response to whatever you are doing with the gas pedal. So once the tire is larger than what is standard, The output shaft sensor reads less revs therefore the car can't response correctly to your input. My car right now suffers from lack of throttle response and also transmission delay in downshifts, because of the same reason. Mismatch between the engine revs and output shaft revs)

I admit it, I ruined my car's performance by lowering it, And once this term ends, I will return it to original height, because the vibration is so annoying after a long period that I almost sold the car the other day.
Well you learned from the mistake. So what you running? A 50 series tire on a 20 inch rim with a drop!!!!lol ofcorse you gotta lower the tire profile but i didnt think to discuss that part of it considering the op would know about this or he would just simply ask. But i understand where your coming from tho.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #17
Official Member

hhhh...not really, I run 245/40/20s, the car looks fantastic, but runs like a carriage and lowered on Eibachs in front...LOL
Old 07-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #18
Official Member

To clear things if u go with a 20/8.5 all around you can put on a 235/40 or 35/20. Or 245/35/20. Now if you gonna staggered witch is the rear wheel and tire are wider than the front then a good set up for 20's is 235/35/20 F and 255/35 or 30/20 R depending on the rear wheel width. Im running 245/40/19 F 275/35/19 R but my rear wheel width is 10'. if it helps.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #19
Official Member

Oh! one thing about doing this is you might have to shave or roll your rear wheel well inner lip theirs a thread on this.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #20
Official Member

Originally Posted by emilbadal View Post
hhhh...not really, I run 245/40/20s, the car looks fantastic, but runs like a carriage and lowered on Eibachs in front...LOL
lmao! its all good bro. yeah those springs are actually more of a drop than they say witch is 2' but then you gotta think about the spring settle point. so your probably at a 2.3 drop on 20! thats gotta look sick!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #21

Official Member #: 6274

Reputation Level: 8
O.G.Nat-tral is an unknown quantity at this point

Visit O.G.Nat-tral's PS3 Profile Visit O.G.Nat-tral's Twitter Visit O.G.Nat-tral's YouTube

Good info guys.. Will mos def be getting those tein super street coilovers hopefully by the end of the summer..

Abused VQ
O.G.Nat-tral is offline   Send a private message to O.G.Nat-tral Find more posts by O.G.Nat-tral Add O.G.Nat-tral to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2014, 11:33 PM   #22

Official Member #: 15504

Reputation Level: 0
galex is an unknown quantity at this point

Would 1.75/1.75 coils cover the gaps between the wheels and the fender on the 08 maxima?
galex is offline   Send a private message to galex Find more posts by galex Add galex to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #23

Official Member #: 15504

Reputation Level: 0
galex is an unknown quantity at this point

Would 1.75/1.75 coils cover the gaps between the wheels and the fender on the 08 maxima?
galex is offline   Send a private message to galex Find more posts by galex Add galex to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2014, 12:06 AM   #24

My Awards:
Official Ride  

Supporting Family Member  

Honorable Ride  

Honorable Ride  

Originally Posted by galex View Post
Definitely. Progress lowering springs are 1.8 in the front and .75 in the back and that eliminates the wheel gaps.