Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:47 PM   Thread Starter #1
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 14553

Reputation Level: 0
silly_buttons13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Power Steering Pump

Hey guys.

So about a year and a half ago I had an issue with my original power steering pump. The car sat for about half a year while I repaired other things on it as well. I had the pump finally replaced July 2014, but once again, the car sat while I was getting around to tackling other things like fuel injectors, fuel rail, and a bad coil.

I finally finished everything two or three weeks ago and bled the power steering fluid, as I found out the guy I had put the pump in did not bleed the old fluid out.

Well, afterwards I noticed the steering was fine..... until I started going at slower idle speeds. I took it to the Nissan Stealership to have them tell me what was wrong with it after I couldn't personally find any leaks (reservoir fluid was smooth and free of air bubbles). Then I was told I should replace the pump and that the return line was leaking (fluid level has NOT changed since I've filled it). How that was determined without actually taking anything off the car is beyond me. It IS making noise and hard to turn at parking speeds though.

The current pump on the car is a Cardone Select I ordered from Rockauto. I still have the original pump that came new on the car and was thinking of replacing all the seals in it and trying to put it back on to see how that works.

Two questions:
1). When a pump is bad, what exactly on or in the pump needs to be fixed for it to work again?
2). Has anyone ever simply replaced the seals on their power steering pump as opposed to purchasing another new or remanufactured one? (I kept the original pump when I installed the Rockauto pump) If so, how's that working out?
silly_buttons13 is offline   Send a private message to silly_buttons13 Find more posts by silly_buttons13 Add silly_buttons13 to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #2
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 15865

Reputation Level: 0
cachetes is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Re: Power Steering Pump

check the tension on the belts. they could be on too tight or too loose.
cachetes is offline   Send a private message to cachetes Find more posts by cachetes Add cachetes to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top