Register My Garage Arcade V.I.P Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum > my6thgen.org - Very Useful Information > Ask Your Technical & General Questions > Suspension, Handling & Brakes

ExclamationThis thread is more than 150+ days old. If you still feel it is necessary to bump this thread, you have the permission to do so. Please click the checkbox below and post your reply.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:05 PM   Thread Starter #1
Official Member
my6thgen.org Profile Info.

Official Member #: 657

Reputation Level: 10
Stack is an unknown quantity at this point

Participation Level: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Default Positive Camber After Hitting Curb

On the front passenger side the wheel sticks out at the top and is tucked a little at the bottom. I already replaced the lower control arm and tried to find any thing else that could be bent but I cant seem to figure it out.

I took it to an alignment shop and they tried using camber bolts but that didnt fix the issue. The guy mentioned that maybe I bent the knuckle/spindle part. But then I remembered somebody else told me the knuckle is die cast iron and wont bend will only break.

Do you guys think the knuckle could be the issue?

Other things Ive read is the strut being bad, the lower strut bar shifting in its bearings, or the frame being bent which I hope didnt happen.

I plan on taking it apart again and maybe taking it to another shop but any kind of input would be highly appreciated. I know its very difficult to diagnose over the web with just a description but I was hoping someone else had this issue already.
Stack is offline   Send a private message to Stack Find more posts by Stack Add Stack to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Positive Camber After Hitting Curb

Originally Posted by Stack View Post
On the front passenger side the wheel sticks out at the top and is tucked a little at the bottom. I already replaced the lower control arm and tried to find any thing else that could be bent but I cant seem to figure it out.

I took it to an alignment shop and they tried using camber bolts but that didnt fix the issue. The guy mentioned that maybe I bent the knuckle/spindle part. But then I remembered somebody else told me the knuckle is die cast iron and wont bend will only break.

Do you guys think the knuckle could be the issue?

Other things Ive read is the strut being bad, the lower strut bar shifting in its bearings, or the frame being bent which I hope didnt happen.

I plan on taking it apart again and maybe taking it to another shop but any kind of input would be highly appreciated. I know its very difficult to diagnose over the web with just a description but I was hoping someone else had this issue already.
Most common thing would be subframe, control arm, strut. Ive also seen spindles bend. They are cast and they are hot. Yes, they bend. Suprised an allignment shop can fiqure this out.
You can easily fiqure this out yourself. Grab yourself a measuring tape and start comparing both left to right side measurments. This should show you where the damage lies then correct the problem.
Click the image to open in full size.
-=My Build Tread=-
1hawaii50 (07-23-2013), Latinmaxima (07-16-2013)
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2013, 06:37 PM   Thread Starter #3
Official Member

I did notice the "hinge" area that holds the lower control arm somewhat pushed in. Heres a pic.

This is what the wheel looks like

Could somehthing like this be repaired or would the whole craddle/subframe have to be replaced?
Stack is offline   Send a private message to Stack Find more posts by Stack Add Stack to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Executive Member

Official Member #: 1924

Reputation Level: 24
Latinmaxima is on a distinguished road

Visit Latinmaxima's Facebook Visit Latinmaxima's PS3 Profile Visit Latinmaxima's YouTube Visit Latinmaxima's Xbox Gamercard

I would think the whole subframe but no personal experience with it. Maybe it can be fixed

So says latinmaxima, so it shall be!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Burnt Orange

Official Member #: 2887

Reputation Level: 34
BurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura aboutBurntOrangeAppeal has a spectacular aura about

Yes, when the damage is beyond ability to be corrected through a few various allignment tricks, you replace the subframe.
-=My Build Tread=-
BurntOrangeAppeal is offline   Send a private message to BurntOrangeAppeal Find more posts by BurntOrangeAppeal Add BurntOrangeAppeal to Your Friends list Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2013, 02:50 PM   Thread Starter #6
Official Member

Took the car to another shop and they put the car up on a lift to get all the specs. The mechanic said that the subframe is pushed in slightly but at that point it would cause more of a caster problem not camber. He mentioned I should replace the knuckle and strut and that should solve the majority of the camber being off.

Actually decided to work on the suspension first since I need it anyways. Not sure if I will do knuckle after that or not I keep getting mixed advice about that part. Some people say its too solid of a piece and would break other things first. But then a shop told me he thought it was the subframe on a Rav 4 he was working on and it turned out to be the knuckle for his camber issue.

Last edited by Stack; 08-11-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:11 PM   Thread Starter #7
Official Member

Turned out to be the bearing on the knuckle for the most part. After I replaced it all I had to do was get a camber bolt to adjust the angle a little and it is back to stock.